CC Set Review: 6008 Royal King

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

CC Set Review: 6008 Royal King

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6008 Royal King.

Royal King was released in 1995 for the Royal Knights. The King comes with his trusty steed and various accessories.

Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: CC Set Review: 6008 Royal King

Post by Athos »

Probably would have made a better army builder if it came with a soldier. But it was a pretty nice way to snag the, at the time, brand new first of its kind, king. The crown and the sword (which I still think is too big) were new and special at the time.

Nothing to build though. Was this the harbinger of that trend with impulse sets: one figure and not much else?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
artizan

Post by artizan »

This was the cheap way to get the king, but the set needed more elements. First of all the king is not wearing his cape. second his crown lacks the plume. last, the horse could come with a barding.
richardanthonyc
Reeve

Post by richardanthonyc »

This king is still the king of my realms at home. I remember Christmas day when dad pretended to not have gotten me anything and led me to the front door and there the royal castle was! This set though is indeed very sparse on parts, though a really good set top get was the royal carriage with the king in
SIlent enim leges inter arma

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant4.jpg[/img]
Sir Tharkin
Laborer

Post by Sir Tharkin »

I don't really think it's a great set.First of all,it only has one fig,and second of all it has WAY to little elements. :(
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

It's an okay set, maybe trivialised because it wasn't a soldier as Steve says and also because the King minifig appeared in quite a few of the theme's sets if I recall.

Eitherway, I wouldn't have minded if TLG would release a set like this for each of the subsequent themes. Especially now that we've got the new horse moulds. :wink:
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

I think it is a fine set, but I don't get why you all say it needed more elements. What, did you also want a little weapon stand to come in the set too? I don't think that would have added a whole lot more value. Sure, a barding would have been nice, but isn't that how TLG makes us buy the bigger sets?
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

RichardAM wrote: Eitherway, I wouldn't have minded if TLG would release a set like this for each of the subsequent themes. Especially now that we've got the new horse moulds. :wink:
Don't I wish! I wanted to get a new horse for a battle scene, but there going for $10.00 on eBay :( !
Anyway...

Value for Money: 3.5/5
Parts: 3/5
Alternate models: N/A
Play Experience: N/A
Over all Design: N/A

Overall Rating: 3.25!
Ryclen
Laborer

Post by Ryclen »

If this thing had barding and horse head armor and torso armor and a cape, that really would've made that set.
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

I actually really like this set. For one it has a horse which in that size of set is awesome and haveing a small sadle is nice because you can use it on more things than a big sadles which hare more limited to use. The fig is nice that you can get a king in a tiny set so you don't have to buy the castle. He may not have the cap or plum but the TLC has never really put pluws in this small of set. the fig comeing with a big sheild is nice as well a crome sword. I think i would give it a 9/10.

Purple Wolf :)
Last edited by Purple Wolf on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

I don't know....one minifigures doesn't seam a lot....
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

This set brings out mixed emotions about it for me. On the positive side it was an affordable way to get a figure including teardrop shield, horse and saddle, not bad things. On the 'just have to deal with it' side every one came with the crown, the over-sized sword (still it was variety back then) and the torso print/head that's 'supposed to be' the Royal Knight's king.
If I could have picked the contents of the set I'd have swapped the chrome sword and golden crown for normal pieces of their types and then added either a few pieces or upgraded the saddle to barding.
As it is I acquired a noticeable number of these intending to use them to bulk up the Royal Knights cavalry segment, I intend to choose a different 'fig to represent the king.... I haven't built out anything for the Royal Knights (yet) so half of them are still boxed... :snore:
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Not a great set, but not a bad set. Good cheap way to get a king, even though he isn't decked out. Horses and lances one can never have enough of, so another plus.

All in all, I give it a 7.3. Nothing is useless in the set, but not much to it, period.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
captainamerica
Peasant

Post by captainamerica »

I agree with Elephant Knight. Not the gretest set, far from the worst, more than adequate for it's size.

Rather than talk about what it doesn't have, I think a better standard is to compare it to similar sets. With that in mind, I prefer 6008 Royal King to the 6007 Bat Lord, but neither can compare to 6009 Black Knight or 6013 Samurai Swordsman.
'more Legos than sense'