LCC - Merchant's Guild - A2 - Encounter in Uglehiem

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
friskywhiskers
Landlord

LCC - Merchant's Guild - A2 - Encounter in Uglehiem

Post by friskywhiskers »

Here is my entry for the merchant's guild A2 challenge. Please consider this to take place between "The Glancer" and "The Return to Lenfald" (to view Sir Edwyn's story in correct chronological order, visit my LCC set on Flickr). Enjoy!

After Landing his battered trade cog near The Port of Grahnhaven, Sir Edwyn traveled along the northwestern road to Uglehiem where he planned to acquire some of Garhiem's finest ore from his cousin, Sir Tharkin. He reached Uglehiem upon several day's of tedious travel, and entered the city to find his relative awaiting his arrival by a sparkling fountain.

"Greetings, Sir Edwyn, my friend!" Sir Tharkin Cried in Delight. "Greetings, Sir Tharkin, I trust your journey here was not nearly as exciting as mine, eh?"

Sir Tharkin gave a brisk laugh. " No, no Hardly! Come let us find a tavern and I shall tell my tale, and you yours!"

This is my biggest and best build yet, so C&C is definitely appreciated ! :)
Last edited by friskywhiskers on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Re: LCC - Merchant's Guild - A2 - Encounter in Uglehiem

Post by soccerkid6 »

Great work on the round tower and wall! The SNOT courtyard, angled house, and stalls are excellent too. Definitely your best yet :D
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
L_space
Peasant

Post by L_space »

This is great work. Love the house and the foutain.
Smart idea for the market stall as well using the flags.
Shame that the photos aren't that bright. They almost seem scans.
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Thanks a lot! @L_Space, I wish I had a btter camera... :( . BTW, I uploaded some closeups on my Flickr.
Sir Tharkin
Laborer

Post by Sir Tharkin »

Nice to see you Sir Edwyn!Good job on the market. I like the stalls a lot! :)
Sir Ronald
Peasant

Post by Sir Ronald »

Great Job Sir Edwyn!
As I said in Flickr I love the base and really really love that fountain!!! :D
Keep up the good work! :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Lots to love about this MOC!

Market stalls - great style and I like the use of the flags as a roof. The snow on the dark red one looks great too.

Fountain - clean look and good scale. I'm glad that you finished the top w/ dark gray tiles to provide some contrast from the gray courtyard

Building - Has a very "Derfel Cadarn-ian" feel to it. Looks good, and all of the doors on the MOC are really nice.

Minifigs - Posing is very good. Plenty of action but not too crowded. Also, you've turned most of the figs so that you can see their faces, which is good.

Courtyard - a bit too uniform for my taste, but nice job offsetting the 'cracks' to create a little bit of texture.

Photo - As you said, maybe could benefit from a better camera, but overall pretty good. A little more time in a photo-editing program to really clean it up would make it top notch. Probably a little too intense for someone just getting into photo editing, but GIMP is a terrific free program that lets you do a lot. Eventually, I'd recommend working your way up to it.

By far your best build yet!! Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Thanks, You guys! @AK_Brickster, no I am great at editing, It's the 5 MP Camera... :(
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I was more referring to the little bits of background that didn't get cleaned up (mainly around the knights on the wall and the spear w/ flags). GIMP has a "magic wand" that will quickly grab all of the white background for you so you can delete in one fell swoop. Not perfect, but it works pretty well most times. Much faster than trying to erase everything in paint ;)
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

AK_Brickster wrote:I was more referring to the little bits of background that didn't get cleaned up (mainly around the knights on the wall and the spear w/ flags). GIMP has a "magic wand" that will quickly grab all of the white background for you so you can delete in one fell swoop. Not perfect, but it works pretty well most times. Much faster than trying to erase everything in paint ;)
I am using Gimp. I just did this quite impatiently as I was posting it at Midnight last night. :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Oh. Well good for you!

And yes, we've all fallen victim to the "it's way too late to keep working on this so I'm just going to post it" bug at least once in our MOC'ing career ;)
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

Nice work! I really like the stand with the flag roof. I also like the use of various DNL techniques, like the arrow slit and the 1/5 stud offset under some of the arches.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Thanks Eklund! I'm a big fan of DNL's work, so I guess some of his techniques got slipped in subconsciously. :wink: