Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Colossal Castle Contest 10

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby architect » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:24 am

Edit - Follow these links for the rules (with further clarification following in this thread), the list of categories, the contest entry page and to view all of the entries. If your entry does not show up (after a reasonable delay), be sure to check the naughty list. Be aware of the cross category awards as well.

Image

The CC Team is proud to announce our tenth annual building contest: The Colossal Castle Contest X. It will begin on November 1st and end on December 31st, 2012.

This contest is a bit different than other contests. We have a variety of categories each with one prize for the winner. Some categories require small creations and others need larger ones. Everyone, even with a limited supply of bricks, should be able to enter several categories. We are looking for creativity, not who has the most LEGO.

Check out the prizes. Eight Classic Castle sets including the popular Armor Shop, Bandit's Ambush, Dungeon Hunters, Royal Drawbridge, Black Falcon's Fortress, and Black Monarch's Castle are prizes. There are are also new books written by AFOLs, custom medieval weapons, custom leaves, and new castle sets. It truly is colossal!

Thank you to Rich Stehnach "Blackrock", altBricks, BrickArms, BrickWarriors, No Starch Press, Skyhorse Publishing and the LEGO Group for donating prizes. The rules can be found
here Enjoy!

Note: Please feel free to ask contest questions in this thread. It may take several days for an admin to answer your specific contest questions. It is important to know that the admins have real lives and it may take over a week for your entry to be approved.
User avatar
architect
Baron von Ellermann
Baron von Ellermann
 
Posts: 4773
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:10 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby Azaghal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 am

architect wrote:Thank you to Rich Stehnach "Blackrock", altBricks, BrickArms, BrickWarriors, No Starch Press, Skyhorse Publishing and the LEGO Group for donating prizes.
Thanks, indeed - especially to the publishers; whoever's idea it was to get them involved, it was a great one.
Image
ImageImage
Bricklink store - GabilzaramBricks
User avatar
Azaghal
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Gabilzâram

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby mencot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 am

Yes, the highlight of the year for Lego castle community :D.
Great prices, whoa the Black knights fortress. Epic set
Let the fun begin.

*edit. I don´t remember again how it was but where can we ask questions conserning CCCX, in this topic?
Last edited by mencot on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
ImageImageImage
Flickr
User avatar
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Den of unforgotten heros

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby Ryclen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:36 am

Oh, boy. This is when the fun begins. :twisted:
User avatar
Ryclen
Laborer
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:12 am

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby OverLoad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 am

I've been anticipating for a while now, so glad it's here!

My favorite time of the year, dare I say. (for a number of reasons, but this is quite a big one. :lol: ) Can't wait to see everyone's creations, as well as throw in a few of my own. :raiseone:
User avatar
OverLoad
Steward
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 am
Location: Windfall Island

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby architect » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm

mencot wrote:I don´t remember again how it was but where can we ask questions conserning CCCX, in this topic?


1. Yes. You can ask questions regarding the contest in this thread.

Ben
User avatar
architect
Baron von Ellermann
Baron von Ellermann
 
Posts: 4773
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:10 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby soccerkid6 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Alright since you can ask questions here:
I posted a WIP pic of a MOC on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66620538@N04/8134608836/in/photostream
As you can see that was just a few days before the CCC, does that still disqualify me from entering it?
Just wanted to make sure cause I would hate to not enter it if it's ok :)
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
My website: http://brickbuilt.org
Image
User avatar
soccerkid6
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1548
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 pm
Location: NY (not NY city)

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby Athalus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

It's CCC time!

Just wondering: Does the "Tudor castle" category require a complete castle? Or could a segment of a castle be entered?
User avatar
Athalus
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:28 am
Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby friskywhiskers » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes!!! I'm totally pumped for this!! :D Silly Question: Does a section of a medieval village, say 2-3 buildings on a 48x48 base meet the requirements for the medieval life category, or is it limited to only a single building?
User avatar
friskywhiskers
Landlord
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby artizan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:57 pm

10th CCC! Great, I've been waiting for this:)

I have a question for the "Classic Set Reimagined" Category, can we make the scale of the Moc bigger/smaller than the actual set and can we add more/less figures than the set already has?
artizan
 

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby Glory_Forever » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 pm

I've been excited about this contest for three years now :D Master builder here I come :P
User avatar
Glory_Forever
Villein
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby Bruce N H » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 pm

OverLoad wrote:My favorite time of the year, dare I say.


Mine too. I'm looking forward to everyone's creations.

Azaghal wrote:
architect wrote:Thank you to Rich Stehnach "Blackrock", altBricks, BrickArms, BrickWarriors, No Starch Press, Skyhorse Publishing and the LEGO Group for donating prizes.
Thanks, indeed - especially to the publishers; whoever's idea it was to get them involved, it was a great one.


We were very happy to get a variety of different types of donations. It keeps things interesting to have something different. A huge thanks to all of those donors.

soccerkid6 wrote:Alright since you can ask questions here:
I posted a WIP pic of a MOC on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66620538@N04/8134608836/in/photostream
As you can see that was just a few days before the CCC, does that still disqualify me from entering it?
Just wanted to make sure cause I would hate to not enter it if it's ok :)


2. I'm sorry, but we've always held that MOCs shared publicly (either online or at an AFOL event) before the contest opened, even MOCs in progress, were disqualified. We have previously allowed people to use small elements from earlier WIP creations if they were mostly changed and if the older thing was only a small part of the completed MOC, but in the case you show you've got a pretty substantial portion already built. Again, sorry. I always grimace when I see beautiful MOCs posted in the last week of October because by that point we already know the categories, and there have been times when I've thought "if only you'd held off posting that for a week you would have had a shot at winning."

Athalus wrote:Just wondering: Does the "Tudor castle" category require a complete castle? Or could a segment of a castle be entered?


3. It should have an enclosing wall, but since this has a size limit of 2 32x32 or 1 48x48 plate it is necessarily going to be a smaller structure than the full 'Castle' category. For inspiration you might look at historical fortified manors.

friskywhiskers wrote:Yes!!! I'm totally pumped for this!! :D Silly Question: Does a section of a medieval village, say 2-3 buildings on a 48x48 base meet the requirements for the medieval life category, or is it limited to only a single building?


4. Yes, you could have more than one building, as long as you are within the 2 32x32 or 1 48x48 plate limit. The focus here is on civilian settings (in contrast to, say, the 'Castle' type categories), so a little piece of a village would be very appropriate.

artizan wrote:I have a question for the "Classic Set Reimagined" Category, can we make the scale of the Moc bigger/smaller than the actual set and can we add more/less figures than the set already has?


5. Yes, but if you stray too far from the spirit of the original set you probably won't score as highly. If you make some massive set with a ton of figs and say that it's a redesigned version of a polybag set, there will be some raised eyebrows.

Glory_Forever wrote:Master builder here I come :P


That's the spirit! Good luck, everyone.

Bruce
User avatar
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium
 
Posts: 6761
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:11 pm
Location: Middle Zealand

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby AK_Brickster » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Maybe this is painfully obvious, but just to clarify, altBricks leaves are not allowed (I'm thinking particularly for the forest and winter scenes), even though they are prizes, correct?
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby shmails » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Very exciting! I have always thought this was the best time of the year for we castle folk, glad it is here again. 14 categories.....wow! Loads of cool categories this year, can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Here is my first question: What is the cutoff year for the castle set reinvisioned? Thanks in advance!
User avatar
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: In my basement customizing minifigures

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 10

Postby architect » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:Maybe this is painfully obvious, but just to clarify, altBricks leaves are not allowed (I'm thinking particularly for the forest and winter scenes), even though they are prizes, correct?


6. The admins decided to only allow altBricks leaves in the Forest Life and Winter Scene categories.

shmails wrote:Here is my first question: What is the cutoff year for the castle set reinvisioned? Thanks in advance!


7. While many fans support the 1978-1992 era of classic sets, we will allow you to redesign any castle set released prior to Knight's Kingdom II (2004).

Ben
User avatar
architect
Baron von Ellermann
Baron von Ellermann
 
Posts: 4773
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:10 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA

Next

Return to Castle MOCs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: medib, Troy and 2 guests