Idea Book 250: Part IV

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Idea Book 250: Part IV

Post by architect »

Check out the final installment of our Idea Book 250 article! This week's topic is the Medieval Siege. You can see the Siege Ram, Knight's Fortress, Lion's Catapult, Trebuchet, Siege Dragon, and Siege Ram.

Article:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/arti ... k250d.html

cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Very impressive. I'm not sure which I like more--the simple catapult or the decorated siege dragon. The siege dragon is quite fearsome-looking, and I don't doubt that a besieging force would decorate their creation to inspire fear in their opponents.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I don't really like any of those sets except for maybe the alternative BFF and the Lion Catapult...
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

The first three are good, but the last few siege weapons are yucky.
pwnage
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I'm not sure that you saved the best for last. I like the castle, its really great (and I may have to make a few to serve as border forts, should I ever get enough pieces to do so), but the siege engines are only so-so. I like the dragon-headed one the best of them. It should really be re-manned with Black Knights.

Anyways, great job on the presentation. Can we hope to see more similar projects in the near or distand future?
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

I am of the same opinion.

The castle is the best castle from the idea books - I wish there could have been pictures from more angles.

The siege stuff is only so-so...the official sets from the period look better.

Thanks Ben and Yaron for this nice series, hope we get more soon.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Can we hope to see more similar projects in the near or distand future?
Yes, Yaron and I have already begun a future project like this one. It is hard to say how long it will take to complete though. Atleast a month, perhaps longer. These Idea Book 250 articles are over a month in the making.

Ben E.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Wow! Looking at the thumbnails:

ImageImage

For a moment I thought you guys recreated the entire scene from the Idea book and even added the yellow sky and orange mountain background! Actually, now that you've built most of the individual models in that scene, you probably could!

*sigh* I loved those idea books, and I still do. Looking at those pics brings back a sense of nostalgia. The scenes that the designers came up with - THAT is what I loved about castle. You don't need huge castles (although those are nice too), it's the scene, with all the minifig activity - THAT is what got me hooked. Another fave of mine is (click for larger version):

ImageImage

I'm not so sure about the KK2 stuff now...

-Bryan