Official Timeline of Roawia

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Elderon
Apprentice

Official Timeline of Roawia

Post by Elderon »

Many tales, songs and even poems have been left untouched by the sands of time concerning the beginning of the noble lands of Roawia. Some have proven to be mere Myths or Legends, whereas some have not been proven at all. Some stories seem to reoccur however in cultures so divers that denying it as fact seems nothing more than folly. It has taken me long and bitter years collecting and penning down all these stories, and it has led to this scripture. Some tales have been lost, but I have tried to make it as complete as possible, however one must keep in mind that not all tales have been preserved, so not all tales have a satisfying conclusion. At least at this time of writing.
Well without further ado, I hereby give you the Complete History of the Men of Roawia.

?-0
It is not accurately known when Men came to the great lands of what we now call Roawia, but is said that the Elves first saw this new race of creatures some 2500 years ago. Roawia then was already populated by several different creatures as Elves, Centaurs and Orcs. Men were a peaceful race at first and shun every contact with other creatures. It was the first contact with the Elves that was so important for mankind, that they called that the year they were civilized for the first time. Although they seemed hardly civilized by today’s standards, it was this point that the curiosity of Men was first sparked and with it its hunger for knowledge.

1st Era, year 122
This year is important for it is the first date using the timeframe of Era’s, and the first documented writ in Roawia. Men have been using a rudimentary form of writing before this, but it was not more than simple runes carved in to burial chambers.

1st Era, year 289
The first battle ensued between highland and lowland tribes from the region now known as respectively Garheim and northern Lenfald. Many believe that there was a jealous Orc-chief who deceived the tribal-chief into battle with his kin. The losing lowland tribes, however, migrated more to the west, into the woods of the Elves. These are believed to be the ancestors of the Guardians of the Tree. The town of Bladefall is located at the exact place this battle was fought.

1st Era, year 587
The Elves start to fear the Highland tribes, for they have uncovered the secret of steel weapons and launch an attack. The Highland tribes are defeated and hostages are brought to the Wandering Woods to secure the Highland tribes so they will stay peaceful. These hostages form the first Lenfel people and started to learn and obey the Elves. These people are called the Forestmen and the land they lived in is called Wynclein.

1st Era, year 625
The Forestmen people wander the lands of Wynclein far and wide in search for more riches and fertile land to claim their own. It is in this year however that they reach the far deserts in the south and make first contact with the Nomads. The first contact isn’t hostile, but according to reports ‘cannot be called a pleasant experience’.

1st Era, year 699
Mention of the word King as a leader is first seen in a document, signed by a King Gyrard. Not much of him is know, except that he is the father of the much better known King Karlamac.

1st Era, year 721
The year King Karlamac is crowned and given the sword presumably by the Elves (but possibly by the Gods themselves) to slay his foes. He is also acknowledged by the Elves as ruler of Men, since they feel they cannot contain their willpower. This is where the first signs of the fading power of the Elves is first seen. King Karlamac rules the lands of Wynclein together with southern parts of Garheim, then known as Mirré, and northern parts of what we now know as Loreos.

1st Era, year 745
Death of King Karlamac, his son King Marck inherits the sword but unfortunately loses it also, causing much uproar in his kingdom. The Tribes of Mirré start to rebel, aided by furious Nomads from the deserts. This is also the year that travelers in the south-eastern mountain peaks start disappearing in Wynclein.

1st Era, year 792
The kingdom of Wynclein is now not more than size of the Wandering Woods. The peaks in the south-east are rumored to be haunted.

1st Era year 895
Armendahl the Great comes forward from his great fortress on Armendahls Peak. He leads his Army and conquers most of Wynclein within the year. He holds the lands in a firm grip and is seen now as a great tyrant. The ruling King of Wynclein flees to the Nomads in the desert which help him and harbor him as a fugitive. It is believed that this is the reason why the Loreesi and Lenfels have such tight connections and equal views on matters.

1st Era, year 966
Prince Roawan is born on the steppes, heir to the throne of Wynclein. He will be raised as a true king and has only one goal in his life, to retake the lands of his forefathers.

1st Era, year 984
The Great War of Roawia ensues, with the first clash happening on the fords of Bloody Waters, now known as Aines fords. It was a great victory for Prince Roawan, but he gets in to harder times when he reaches further inland.

1st Era, year 1002
Second great battle of Wynclein. Again it turns out to be a victory for prince Roawan. Armendahl the Great is now forced back to his fortress on Armendahls Peak.

2nd Era, Year 1
Prince Roawan is crowned King Roawan I and the Nomads and Highland tribes plead their allegiance, making it the first time all the lands are united under one ruler. Together they wage war against Armendahl the Great.

2nd Era, year 5
Armendahl is finally defeated in Battle of Great Loss. Many warriors were killed during the storming of Armendahls Fortress and more than half the soldiers die during the attempt to overthrow the tyrant. It was the sword of King Roawan who slayed the evil tyrant and reclaimed the land of Wynclein. This is also the year in which was decided that the coronation of King Roawan was the beginning of the Second Era. And ushers in the first time all the lands are brought together under one ruler. They named the lands Roawia, after the first King himself.

It is now that we have landed in the period known as the Great Peace. The line of Kings was held and kept the peace and quiet in the lands of Roawia. However it should be noted that not everything was peaceful, for some areas of Roawia were harsh lands, like the marshes and Islands in the south. The Highlanders of the North, Nomads in the South and Forestmen in the middle start to drift apart and more and more developing their own individual cultures. Small quibbles erupt between the different people, but nothing serious enough to report. Magic was all around proving a hard time to control, so laws were enforced to limit the use of magic. This, of course, did not sit well with several ancient Magical Orders. Times were starting to get more turbulent.

2nd Era, year 526
First Magical uprising. The seven known Magical Orders attack the main city. King Roawan XII called in the help of his Mirréan friends and held back the attack.

2nd Era, year 527
The uprising itself is brought to a halt. The three remaining orders are banished to the marshes where they reside still.

2nd Era, year 728
The First Orc war. The recent King Hardwin, calls in all his banners and pushes the bands of Orcs back to the marshes. This territory is now called no man’s land.

2nd Era, year 787
The first Civil war. The Nomads of the desert feel they were exploited during the First Orc war and assemble an army. They attack the Kingdom of Roawia and as a new nation claim independence as Nyis el-Qhurhin, the Jewel of the Desert. Led by Great Meir Ezmi Wazir al-Woull’in, they establish a front along the lines of the border between Loreos and Lenfald we now have.

2nd Era, year 795
Beginning of the Second Orc War. Orc-chief Azreth, noticed how badly defended the borders of the marshes were and saw an opportunity. He led his bands of Orcs in to the lands of Nyis el-Qhurhin and raid many villages and caravans. It is also this year that the Great Emir calls for a truce between the Kingdom of Roawia and Nyis el-Qhurhin, to defend his homeland. King Hardwin II grants the truce, and therefore is known as Hardwin the Righteous.

2nd Era, year 797
King Hardwin the Righteous aids the men of Nyis el-Qhurhin in their battle against the Orcs. They defeat them and help the el-Qhurhini build more watchtowers along the borders with the marshes. King Hardwin doesn’t declare Nyis el-Qhurhin independent, but instead sets up an independent government with the Great Emir at the top, who will answer to nobody but the King himself.
This same year the Mirréan people hear about this and threaten with a second civil war if they not also are granted and independent government. King Hardwin the Righteous sees no alternative and states the oberJarl Erik Knudsson as head of the Mirréan government. The King in Wynclein however remains the official leader of Roawia.

2nd Era, year 816
The Second Magical uprising, Huron the Despoiler rises, along with most of the remaining Magical Orders, when King Roawan XV, also known as Roawan the Strict, executes a law banning magic from Roawia. King Roawan XV fights them off and exiles the last of the Orders to the Marshes. This is now officially named Outlaw territory, and everyone venturing in there will be held as an outlaw if they see fit to return to the lands of Roawia.

2nd Era, Year 946
King Alphundus is born, father of the Three brothers after which our great nations are named.

2nd Era, year 964
Birth of the Princess. Her name is not known, for the three Brothers went through great lengths erasing her from the pages of history.

2nd Era, year 966
Garmen the Tall is born, founder of the mighty nation Garheim.

2nd Era, year 967
Lenard the Strong is born, founder of the mighty nation Lenfald.

2nd Era, year 968
Lorean the Swift is born, founder of the mighty nation Loreos.

2nd Era, year 990
Disappearance of the Princess from the royal court and Death of King Alphundus. The Battle for the Throne is fought and after that the brothers retreat all in their own favorite regions of Roawia, most of the local lords immediately pledge allegiance to one of them, knowing and hoping one of them will probably be king soon. Some of them needed to take their lands with force however and did so not at the least to prove their strength in combat.In their favored region they reside, plotting and holding grudges against each other, waiting for another to make the first move.

2nd Era, year 991
Birth of Alphundus II, the last son of King Alphundus. When the brother hear of this they travel to the King’s Castle to see their brother. Not wanting to give in, nor give the title and all its claim to a newborn, they decided to give him just the title. No lands, no income from the lands, he could perform ceremonial tasks, and act as a judge, though not make any laws.

2nd Era, year 1000
The last day of the Second Era, the day the three nations of Garheim, Lenfald and Loreas are declared as independent nations.

3rd Era, year 65
Merkorliss the Grim takes over the Islands in the north of Lenfald. He gives them his name and tries to raise an army to become even stronger.

3rd Era, year 70
The King sails the entire Roawian fleet to the Merkorliss Isles at which sight he surrenders and lays down his silver trident.

3rd Era, year 128
Many quibbles erupt along the borders of the nations, not resulting however in a war, but some battles are fought. It is revealed that Mage Tynand, coming from one of the Magic Isles, has spread false rumours, hoping he sparks a civil war tearing apart Roawia so he can claim it for his own. When captured however he claims he has been doing so in name of the Princess. This is the reason why many people believe the Princess is still alive among the Magic Isles.

3rd Era, year 287
Duke Wirklich Nervig, goes in to battle wielding the Sword of Karlamac and fears its power. He manages to hide it right before he gets killed. It has not been found since.

3rd Era, year 327
The Third Orc War erupts and last for six long years. Mainly because Garheim and Lenfald refuse to aid Loreos. This to the dismay of Loreos, who threaten to withdraw from Roawia and found a new Nation. Luckily this ends well when Garheim sends some troops aided by a garrison of archers from Lenfald.

3rd Era, year 378
The first trading-treaty is signed in East Stowburn, Loreos, between Lenfald and Loreos. This marks the first ever document to be signed regarding rules to trading, between two nations.

And so it ends. Of course, history never ends, it goes on forever. This reminds me of a saying an old friend used to tell me:

"History is written by the unknown man, for only will he get known when he writes history."

So I ask you, will you read or write history? Remember, you are far more powerful than you can imagine…

Signed,
Gyldert Cayliff
3rd Era, year 382

Hey guys, it took me some time, but I finally mastered to get my version of the timeline finished. It was hard especially since we are already well away inside our world and a lot of things have happened and have been mentioned, but I think this will meet most criteria. Not everything has been said with great detail, which I do not deem necessary, for we should leave some things to imagination. You should read is as a sort of historic text which is still rather up to date, so you can a nice timeframe, the first Global Challenge was four years after the publication of this scripture.
I've discussed this with Teherean, since he was the one already doing a lot of work on it, and he gave me the seal of approval to post it in here, so hopefully the Kings Council will agree with him and make this the official timeline of Roawia. If there should still be some adjustment I would love to hear them, especially since I do not really know if Garheim or Loreos had some historical events that needed to be in here. Just post them in the comments and I'll be sure to add them :wink:

Greetings,

Elderon
Last edited by Elderon on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Re: Unofficial Timeline of Roawia

Post by Mark of Falworth »

Very, very cool work Elderon! Looks great!

There's just one thing I would like to see tweaked a little, I've always imagined that after the three brothers split up, Prince Lorean with a small army of cavalry marched south, and with the help of the nomads, conquered the petty rulers in the desert so as to carve his own country away from his brothers lands. But this is just a tiny detail, and it's not a huge deal either way. ;)

Again, great job overall! It's nice to see everything chronologically laid out. :)
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

Thanks! I actually used your input and changed the year 990 in the 2nd Era to make it fit your thoughts about loreos, yet not so specific it would make it seem that only Lorean had to fight for his lands :wink: If only AK and Lord of Orks would give their thoughts about it so hopefully I can re-dub this as the Official Timeline of Roawia :D
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Post by Aeridian »

I know I'm obviously not a FL or anything but I wanted to say you did a nice job compiling everything together in one place. I like learning more about the history and lore of Roawia, it'll come in useful for upcoming creations. :)
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeridian/]Flickr[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Lore isn't my area of expertise when it comes to LCC, as I'm a much better administrator than storyteller, but as long as what you've got agrees with the "official lore" created by Koffiemoc (found in 3rd post of general info/discussion thread, I think), then I'm good with whatever you've come up with.

Thanks for all of the work that you've put into this :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
royalbrickcustoms
Gentleman

Re: Official Timeline of Roawia

Post by royalbrickcustoms »

Can you add the Battle of Calmonn to the Loreos timeline (if it's ok with the King's Council) because I would like to contribute to Roawian history if at all possible.

Let me know.

~RBC
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
~Phil. 4:13

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=RBCustoms]Royal Brick Customs Shop (Bricklink)[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Not all wars and battles can be included in this timeline. I haven't gone through this carefully enough to tell if there are battles similar in scale to the one you are proposing, but I'm guessing that only major battles including entire factions are included in the timeline of historic continental events.

You're welcome to keep your own history, based off of and integrated into this one, but for now let's leave this the way it is and let people use it as inspiration to branch off with their own stories :)
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
royalbrickcustoms
Gentleman

Post by royalbrickcustoms »

AK_Brickster wrote:Not all wars and battles can be included in this timeline. I haven't gone through this carefully enough to tell if there are battles similar in scale to the one you are proposing, but I'm guessing that only major battles including entire factions are included in the timeline of historic continental events.

You're welcome to keep your own history, based off of and integrated into this one, but for now let's leave this the way it is and let people use it as inspiration to branch off with their own stories :)
Ok thanks.

Sounds good :)

~RBC
Last edited by royalbrickcustoms on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
~Phil. 4:13

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=RBCustoms]Royal Brick Customs Shop (Bricklink)[/url]
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

AK is right in this, I only included battles that have significance to the history of either one or more factions. But as it has been told in the foreword by Lord Gyldert Cayliff:
Many tales, songs and even poems have been left untouched by the sands of time concerning the beginning of the noble lands of Roawia. Some have proven to be mere Myths or Legends, whereas some have not been proven at all.
So feel free to add to the myth or legend in your own builds :wink:

Also the last part of your message doesn't really belong in this thread, so I suggest you edit it out :wink: