Huge Keep

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Huge Keep

Post by AK_Brickster »

If you don't mind my asking, who buys stuff like this? A museum? To me, the whole joy of Lego is the creative process and the building of it, as well as being able to share and enjoy the work of your labors with others, both online and at conventions. I don't understand why someone would buy a massive castle just to keep it in their basement to play "medieval house" with. :?

That said, I'd love to see pictures of the entire layout to date.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Clarkryang
Serf

Post by Clarkryang »

My buyer is a collector that owns his own oil company. He lives to build as well, but he feels like i can build castles that he is not able to build. His intention is to take it to keep conventions once it is finished. Btw, all the bricks were purchased over five years ago, so i can't take credit for the shortage right now. :-)
Clarkryang
Serf

Post by Clarkryang »

I forgot to mention that the smaller drawbridges are on the two sides of the keep to connect to the outer curtain wall around the city. This was a request from my buyer since he wanted the troops in the keep to have fast access to the outer wall. When I post a picture of the sections I have done so far it will all make sense. I know they look odd just up there doing nothing!
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Really looking forward to seeing some pics of all the sections hooked together. Must be fun building a castle of this size and not worrying about the price :)
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Derrick R.
Serf

Post by Derrick R. »

This Moc ist wonderful and epic. With so many details! :twitch:

Derrick
peggyjdb
Royal Chronicler

Post by peggyjdb »

That is very impressive. Full of lots of detail. Nice work.

So if I understand the above thread, your selling sections of a castle to the same buyer, right? Will you get the chance to get a photo of all together one day? It's going to be really huge, based on the size of the keep and gate house.
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

Impressive, I love how you've actually included quarters for the entire garrison... how many can you house? With a storehouse that large I'm sure you could withstand a year's siege! Totally awesome build, I'm gleaning some ideas from this for my future projects. 8) Well done! Show us more soon!
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

All I can say is that I can't way to see the finished project. Keep up the fantastic work.

Edit: Also, I admire your mix of old gray and new. I've never quite been brave enough to put them together often.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
athronieth
Laborer

Post by athronieth »

Like everyone else I am really impressed by the scale of the project. I used to think Dr. Carney built the most awesome large scale castles (in his case, lego recreations of actual castles), but this project takes things to a whole new level, especially in terms of interiors and use of minifgures (Carney's castles generally lacked them) but also creativity. I especially like the great hall. What fun and challenge designing and building this! And a fascinating sidenote that it is being built for a buyer. I can only imagine what this keep when combined with all the others would cost. Makes me wish I owned an oil company, too, or even half an oil company. :D
Quelta the Emerald Isle [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=athronieth[/url]
Valendale
Villein

Post by Valendale »

Even when you said huge, I wasn't expecting this much. I'm especially fond of the storeroom for some reason. Good job.
K3G
Freeman

Post by K3G »

Great job, specially considering that the whole castle will be a little bit smaller than my Krak des Chevaliers, I can easily realize how big your effort is.
By the way, I have a question: did you cut the plates and tiles in top of the round towers?
Non nobis, non nobis Domine, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam!
K3G
Freeman

Post by K3G »

Would you please explain us how did you realize the curved walls? I cannot understand your technique.
In my opinion it is impossible to do that with a such limited quantity of 2x1 bricks... the only way is to alter them. Did you modify those bricks? Thanks!
Non nobis, non nobis Domine, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam!