Have you ever felt like you're making a shady deal?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
ludzik
Steward

Have you ever felt like you're making a shady deal?

Post by ludzik »

I travel on business fairly often and this time my travels took me from sunny SoCal to Nashville. While working here I found some part on Ebay that I was interested in and they happened to be located in Nashville!!! Talk about score :) So I shot a quick PM to the seller, did some wheeling and dealing and got him to pull out couple minifigs from another lot he was also selling and "repackage" what I was after into a set for me :) Then.... did some negotiations and ended up settling on cash which scored me another minifig for free!!!! :)

Now comes the funny part: every day this week I was done by 4:30.... and of course on the day I was to meet him I got stuck working till 5, and it was raining earlier resulting in some flooding and street closures which meant I was late to my meet (I did notify him) and there I discovered I'm short a $.45 (it was a $30 deal) !!!!!!! And that was after scraping all the coinage from my laptop bag...... UGH.... but it worked out. We met in a parking lot behind MacDonalds, I explained the funds shortage, he chuckled and said that's fine.....

So, I gave him money and he gave me a plastic baggie and we both left :)
Last edited by ludzik on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSchmidt
Merchant

Re: Have you ever felt like you're making a drug deal?

Post by SSchmidt »

Did anyone call the police? :D
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

That is a really funny story! :lol:

I've never had anything quite so involved, but I often buy multiples of minifigs when ordering from a Bricklink store because there are fellow Castle AFOLs in my LUG, and they are happy to split the shipping cost with me for a fig or two. Or I'll see something on clearance and call a few people to see if they want me to pick one up for them and bring it to the next meeting.

I told them that I often feel like a "pusher" at LUG meetings because I'm going around doling out mini-ziplock baggies in exchange for cash, often discreetly so that other LUG members don't feel left out. :roflol:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

I've never had such a comical tale before, but I have had some shady times with friends who are willing to surrender their LEGO collection to me. Most of the time, it involves climbing up all the way to the attic to see some hidden boxes, or walking out to the shed in the backyard to look for LEGO containers. By the end of the day, I'm usually walking out with a huge box full of stuff!

So I guess sometimes I feel like a hoarder, if anything. :lol:
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

*Moderation moment*

Gentlemen, I get the humor. But is it really necessary to relate things to illegal substances on a LEGO forum? We do have minors who read this forum. Please refrain from any more references even if this was meant to be funny, there are other ways to communicate.

Thank you.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Bluesecrets wrote:*Moderation moment*

Gentlemen, I get the humor. But is it really necessary to relate things to illegal substances on a LEGO forum? We do have minors who read this forum. Please refrain from any more references even if this was meant to be funny, there are other ways to communicate.

Thank you.
My apologies . I've renamed the thread title to hopefully make it pg13.
Lil_Curt
Steward

Re: Have you ever felt like you're making a shady deal?

Post by Lil_Curt »

Never had this issue with lego, however aquatic plants in my aquariums.... no thats another story. Walk into store with a few plastic bags of green trimings walk out with $150 dolars worth of suplies with my pocket being only $5 lighter :D
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
KarenJ
Foot Soldier

Post by KarenJ »

Lil_Curt wrote:Never had this issue with lego, however aquatic plants in my aquariums.... no thats another story. Walk into store with a few plastic bags of green trimings walk out with $150 dolars worth of suplies with my pocket being only $5 lighter :D
Lego is my hobby but so is water gardening. I completely understand this! Lego is much easier to buy and sell, because often aquatic plants are banned in states where they're considered invasive. Can't ship water hyacinth to Florida, for example. Don't have to worry about good old ABS plastic. :)

But being a petite female, those "C-list" purchases can be dicey sometimes. I bought a collection from a stranger once, alone. Lucky that Lego people are good people. The dude could have been a criminal.
Karen

Left dark ages Jan '07
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

LEGO is pretty shady. You know those big lots of bulk bricks on eBay? They water them down with Mega Bloks.
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

KarenJ wrote:
Lil_Curt wrote:Never had this issue with lego, however aquatic plants in my aquariums.... no thats another story. Walk into store with a few plastic bags of green trimings walk out with $150 dolars worth of suplies with my pocket being only $5 lighter :D
Lego is my hobby but so is water gardening. I completely understand this! Lego is much easier to buy and sell, because often aquatic plants are banned in states where they're considered invasive. Can't ship water hyacinth to Florida, for example. Don't have to worry about good old ABS plastic. :)

But being a petite female, those "C-list" purchases can be dicey sometimes. I bought a collection from a stranger once, alone. Lucky that Lego people are good people. The dude could have been a criminal.

Yea karen i hear you on those "c-list" purchases. I am acctually cutting down considerably on my tanks as time constraints are huge with a 4 year old, an we now have a house so keeping the dirt up an doing repairs since we got a hud home time is very valuble. Plus my wife an i work oppisit sceduals so we cant double team our daughter.

Lego has helped me keep my sanity recently. My only problem is nothing i create happens to be what i see in my head or, i dont have enough pieces to do what i want.

Curt
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations