LCC - Garheim - LC14 - Fishing Tournament

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: LCC - Garheim - LC14 - Fishing Tournament

Post by AK_Brickster »

Olaf (L) and Snedrick (R) are both experienced fishermen, hoping to land the fish that will win the grand tourney.
They both have above-average ability, and think that those who rely on luck aren't worth their salt.
They will test their skills against the two most difficult fishing locations in Garheim.
Olaf:
Lure - 3
Skill - 2
Luck - 1
Location - Kregand's Crater
Snedrick:
Lure - 1
Skill - 4
Luck - 1
Location - Howling Seas

LCC - Garheim LC14 - Fishing Tourney by AK_Brickster, on Flickr
Last edited by AK_Brickster on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
readallaboutit
Gong Farmer

Post by readallaboutit »

Torstead, the fishmonger of Granhaven, has entered the fishing contest alongside his young employee Falki. The contest presents a welcome respite from the drudgery of fish preparation, and offers a chance to win renown for either of the rather undistinguished pair. At the very least, a week's worth of ale rides on the outcome of the contest between Falki and Torstead.

Torstead (left) has the following skills:
Lure: 2
Skill: 3
Luck: 1
Torstead plans to fish the Howling Seas.

Falki, the less experienced of the two fisherman, has these traits:
Lure: 1
Skill: 2
Luck: 3
He will try his luck in the Gulf of Fishes.

And thank you gurusql for running the tournament! I really liked the idea of a minifig tourney based off dice rolls when I saw the barfight LC for the outlaws, and I had no idea Garheim had an annual tourney right around the corner!
Crazycrownieguy
Bailiff

Post by Crazycrownieguy »

Sorry I'm late

Boris and Vloki have been fishing since they can remember, and when they heard about the big contest, they decided to put there hard earned skills to the test.
Boris
gulf of fishes q 3 w 2 s 4
lure 2
skill 2
luck 2
Vloki
the howling sea's q 2 w 6 s 6
lure 1
skill 3
luck 2
For the glory of Garhim!!!
Captain Rufus Song
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/12914982 ... 29d6_o.jpg[/img][img]http://5z8.info/add-worm_wcvp[/img][img]http://5z8.info/openme.exe_exoh[/img]
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

Entry into the fishing tournament is now closed. Thank you all the entries. Please give me a few days to finish the results. :wink:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
Kayne_
Laborer

Post by Kayne_ »

After rereading the rules, I realize I made a mistake with one of my fishermen....oh well, maybe his quantity will make up for the size!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=darkenrahl_17]Kayne is able(Bricklink)[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkenrahl_17/]My Flickr[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Each angler will only catch one fish, even if you "beat" the "catch" rolls more than once.
Example:
Lure 2
Skill 2
Luck 2

Q1, W1, S2

Lure rolls: 3, 4 (both are successes)
Skill rolls: 2, 6 (both are successes)
Luck rolls: 4, 6 (max size for region is 2)

Result: You caught a "size 2" fish.
*note that this "2,2,2" combination is the only one possible where you would have enough rolls for each of the three phases to succeed more than once, which is why everyone can only be allowed to catch one fish per angler.

If your strategy didn't work out quite right this time, don't worry, we do this every year, so you'll have learned a few tricks / strategies for next time :)
Ronin Dragonslayer
Journeyman

Post by Ronin Dragonslayer »

gurusql wrote:Entry into the fishing tournament is now closed. Thank you all the entries. Please give me a few days to finish the results. :wink:
Thanks again for hosting this! And thanks to AK for suggesting the 2nd annual tournament; this may be my first year in Garheim, but I plan to see many more tournaments!
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Complete Tournament Results

Post by gurusql »

After a many days of waking up before dawn to be out on the water during the optimum fishing hours as well as monitoring factors such as weather, tides and local sea monster reports the Second Annual Garheim Fishing Tournament is finally complete!

Jhirian had the fishermen, both novice and experienced gather in the great hall of Mikithdar all hoping to be named the “Champion of Fishes”. All of the prize fish were hung in the hall and grouped by location – but hidden behind curtains so that the prize would remain a surprise.

Jhirian first called for the lone fisherman that went Ice Fishing on the NW Coast to tell his tale.

Garrick started “Even in the summer months the temperature is well below freezing along the NW coast. I was able to build my shack and remembering the tales from last year, I was sure to cut a large enough hole to retrieve my fish. The fish were very plentiful and were almost jumping onto my line. I found the fish that I wanted and stuck it with my trident. The locals told me it was one of the largest that ever came out of those waters. My fish is a full 2 feet long”

Roll summary:
Garrick: Fish – 4 (fish on!), Skill – 5 (Fish caught!), Size – 2,1,2,1 – Fish of 2’ caught

Jhirian then asked for the fisherman that ventured to Kregand’s Crater.

Olaf was the first to speak-up “Even with every trick-I had up my sleeve I was not able to get a nibble. I think that Trygve pulled out the biggest catch two days before the tournament. What a waste that he pulled my fish out before I could get there.”

Trygve jumped in “While I agree that timing is everything, I think that some special consideration should be given for me pulling out that fish out of Kregand’s Crater that was the size of a whale!”

“Sorry Trygve, but rules are rules you have to catch the fish during the tournament time.” stated Jhirian with obvious annoyance in his voice. “Happy, what about you?”

Happy was grinning from ear to ear and stood up straight before answering. “I was out on the water, when a fish that was larger than my boat tried to eat my pet chicken leg. Who would have thought that fried chicken would have been good bait? I swung my frying pan at the jumping fish, hitting it square on the head, but it must have had armor plating because it just dove back into the water without batting an eye.

Jhirian stated with some sadness in his voice – “So no fish this year from Kregand’s Crater. To bad, I really like the flavor of those fish. Let's hear from the army of fishermen that tackled the Gulf of Fishes.”

Roll summary:
Trygve Varanger: Fish – 3,1 (no bites)
Happy: Fish – 6 (fish on!), Skill – 3 (fish lost!)
Olaf: Fish 3,3,4 (no bites)

Gurdie was the first to speak-up standing by the fire with his blanket wrapped around his shoulders, "When you say army you are not kidding!?! Falki and I were just talking about everywhere we went there was someone else fishing. I just wanted to catch something, but I could not get a nibble."

"Yeah!" blurted out the young Falki. The retort has sounded so much better in his head before it had exited his lips.

"I think the fish were hiding given the number of us out there. I did not even see one." said Lucky Fred

Fornmir Sharkbait then jumped in, "I was able to catch a few with my trusty fishing pole including a yellow tail almost as long as I am tall. My fish is a full 3 feet long." He crossed his arms in front of his chest for effect after completing his sentence.

"While agree that the Gulf was crowded, I did find the fish relatively plentiful. While I was pulling the a large fish out that if it is an inch is at least as big as Fornmir's fish a large wave hit my boat and it was only my skill with a spear that saved my catch. My catch is also 3 feet long." said Boris.

Ólafr was the next to reply, "I was always the first on the water and the last to come home. I found that once my competitors had stopped churning the water, the fish almost caught themselves. I have a beautiful 4 foot long rainbow catfish for my catch."

Following Ólafr's boast there was an awkward pause and someone pushed Arnie out into the center. Arnie stumbled for a moment and said, "I love all how serious this is to all of you. Luck beats skill every time; otherwise they would not call it luck. I too pulled in a 4 foot rainbow catfish with my trident from the Gulf."

Jhirian then calm and stready voice – “So we have a new leader for the longest fish. How did the group from Jharton Bay do?”

Roll summary:
Fornmir Sharkbait: Fish – 4,4 (fish on!), Skill – 3,6 (Fish caught!), Size – 3,1 – Fish of 3’ caught
Ólafr: Fish – 6,6 (fish on!), Skill – 6,5 (Fish caught!), Size – 2,4 – Fish of 4’ caught
Arnault "Arnie" Stromstrang: Fish – 4,3 (fish on!), Skill – 4 (Fish caught!), Size – 2,4,4 – Fish of 4’ caught
Gurdie: Fish – 2,2(no bites)
Falki: Fish – 1 (no bites)
Boris: Fish – 5,5 (fish on!), Skill – 2,1 (Fish caught!), Size – 2,3 – Fish of 3’ caught
Lucky Fred: Fish – 1,2(no bites)

Bison Njordsson stepped forward still wearing his characteristic horned helmet and said "The fish were very agitated by a shark hunting in Jharton Bay, I has a large fish on my line when a grey shark flew at my boat nearly capsizing me and then ate my fish."

"Bison, what you did not see was that I too had a large catch that I was pulling in, the same shark ate my fish. For a moment I had the shark on my line and gave the beast a mighty pull. The shark must have jumped with the pull and when it broke my line and hit your boat." said Kolgen.

"I am sure that same shark ate my fish too." jumped in Chorlan.

"Great stories" said Thrinn putting a long emphasis on the second word. "I was also to catch a 3' yellow tail even though the local kept telling me I using the wrong bait."

"Some amazing events on Jharton Bay for sure. How about the local waters of Lake Mikithdar?" said Jhirian

Roll summary:
Bison Njordsson: Fish – 1,3,6 (fish on!), Skill – 2,1 (fish lost!)
Thrinn: Fish – 6,3 (fish on!), Skill – 5 (Fish caught!), Size – 3,1,2 – Fish of 3’ caught
Chorlan: Fish – 1,3 (no bites)
Kolgen: Fish – 3,4 (fish on!), Skill – 1,2 (fish lost!)

Ageirr steps forward and never looks at the crowd. In a lower voice he says, "I credit this catch to my late father. I was able to pull in a 3' red-striper due to the lessons that he taught me."

Roll summary:
Ageirr: Fish – 4,5 (fish on!), Skill – 5 (Fish caught!), Size – 2,1,3 – Fish of 3’ caught

"That only leaves the Howling Seas", burst out Angstrom Stormstrang. It appears that my brother and I will have it tied at the top. I too landed a 4' beauty."

"Not so fast," said Steen, "I entered this competition to win and I came back to shore with a 5' swordfish. I think that I will be the Champion of Fishes!"

"OK, let's stick to what happened and what you came back with. I will name the Champion when all is heard." bellowed Jhirian of the end of Steen comment.

"My nets came back without a fish. I sure I would have had a better return if the number of competitors was not so high." said Snedrick

"Here! Here!" shouted Vloki as he banged the bottom of this spear on the hall floor to make his point.

"I had a good size fish in my sights and throw my harpoon at it. Today the fish won, but I will be back out there tomorrow." smiled Boas.

"It does not appear that my 3' rainbow catfish is the largest catch for this region, but I happy with it none the less." said Torstead.

"I caught a beautiful yellow tail that is almost as big as Steen's, but alas it is but 4' in length.' said Gjurd.

Roll summary:
Angstrom Stormstrang: Fish – 2,3,6 (fish on!), Skill – 6,5 (Fish caught!), Size – 4 – Fish of 4’ caught
Boas: Fish – 6 (fish on!), Skill – 4,3 (fish lost!)
Steen: Fish – 3 (fish on!), Skill – 5,1,6 (Fish caught!), Size – 5,4 – Fish of 5’ caught!
Snedrick: Fish – 2 (no bites)
Torstead: Fish – 3,3 (fish on!), Skill – 6,5,2 (Fish caught!), Size – 3 – Fish of 3’ caught!
Vloki: Fish – 1 (no bites)
Gjurd: Fish – 3 (fish on!), Skill – 2,6,6 (Fish caught!), Size – 4,2 – Fish of 4’ caught!

"So it appears that I now I can name the Champion of Fishes. Congratulations to Steen!" roared Jhirian. "Now that the tales are complete, let the feasting begin! I plan to have a good meal because I need to leave to get to the Coronation."

Final Results:

Biggest Catch and the title of "Champion of Fishes": Kayne_ (2pts)
Best total Catch: andhe (1pt)
Best Entry - Figs & Story: Ronin Dragonslayer (1pt)
All entrants also receive 2 points for participating.

I hope you enjoyed the tournament! :wave:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENTRIES BY FISHING LOCATION

Ice Fishing on the North West Coast (Fish 1, Weather 1, Size 2)
  1. Garrick (Kayne_) - Lure 1, Skill 1, Luck 4
Kregand's Crater (Fish 6, Weather 6, Size 7)
  1. Trygve Varanger (gurusql) - Lure 2, Skill 3, Luck 1
  2. Happy (Louie le Brickvalier) - Lure 1, Skill 1, Luck 4
  3. Olaf (AK_Brickster) - Lure 3, Skill 2, Luck 1
Gulf of Fishes (Fish 3+1, Weather 2, Size 4) [The +1 on the quantity is because of the number of fishermen in the location]
  1. Fornmir Sharkbait (Ronin Dragonslayer) - Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
  2. Ólafr (Will A. Strong) - Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
  3. Arnault "Arnie" Stromstrang (andhe) - Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
  4. Gurdie (Str0ngbad) - Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
  5. Falki (readallaboutit) - Lure 1, Skill 2, Luck 3
  6. Boris (Crazycrownieguy) - Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
  7. Lucky Fred (Athalus) - Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
Jharton Bay (Fish 4, Weather 3, Size 5)
  1. Bison Njordsson (Ronin Dragonslayer) - Lure 3, Skill 2, Luck 1
  2. Thrinn (RichardAM) - Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
  3. Chorian (Louie le Brickvalier) - Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
  4. Kolgen (Str0ngbad) - Lure 2, Skill 2, Luck 2
Lake Mikithdar (Fish 2, Weather 1, Size 3)
  1. Ageirr (gurusql) - Lure 2, Skill 1, Luck 3
Howling Seas (Fish 2+1, Weather 6, Size 6) [The +1 on the quantity is because of the number of fishermen in the location]
  1. Angstrom Stormstrang (andhe) - Lure 3, Skill 2, Luck 1
  2. Boas (Will A. Strong) - Lure 1, Skill 2, Luck 3
  3. Steen (Kayne_) - Lure 1, Skill 3, Luck 2
  4. Snedrick (AK_Brickster) - Lure 1, Skill 4, Luck 1
  5. Torstead (readallaboutit) - Lure 2, Skill 3, Luck 1
  6. Vloki (Crazycrownieguy) - Lure 1, Skill 3, Luck 2
  7. Gjurd (Athalus) - Lure 1, Skill 3, Luck 2
Last edited by gurusql on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Great story so far! Looking forward to the rest :D

Kregand's Crater remains the ever-difficult location. Too bad Happy's fish got away! At least he won't stay disappointed for long! :lol:
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

Haha great story! I still have no idea how the scoring works but it's fun to follow.

I knew Arnie would do me proud.

Looking forward to the next installment.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

For each of the first two characteristics, you have to equal or beat the conditions of your fishing zone. The size characteristic is just a max value for that zone.

Let's take Jharton Bay as an example (Q3+1, W2, S4)

For the "Q" and "W" values, a higher number indicates a higher level of difficulty. A higher "S" value indicates larger fish are present in that body of water.
If the fishing zone has a quantity (Q) of 4, then with your "lure rolls", you have to roll 4 or better to catch a fish. If you have a lure ranking of 2, that means you have two rolls to get a 4 or better in order to hook a fish.
If the zone has a weather ranking of 2, with your "skill rolls", you have to roll a 2 or better to successfully land the fish, using your skill to overcome the weather conditions. If you have a skill ranking of 3, you'd get three rolls to try to get a 2 or better in order to land the fish.
If the zone has a size ranking of 4, that means that 4-feet is the biggest size fish you can get out of that area. The size of a fish is mainly based on luck, so whatever you roll with your "luck rolls" will determine the size of your fish. If you have a luck rating of 1, you only get one roll to determine the size of your fish.

I hope that clears it up for you and for anyone else who might still be a bit confused by the mechanics.

You're doing a great job so far, gurusql! :D
Ronin Dragonslayer
Journeyman

Post by Ronin Dragonslayer »

Great story so far, gurusql! Building an "on the water" vig (however small) was fun; I may have to think about Cedric buying a fishing vessel and joining the merchant's guild - though I need to start ordering parts. :oops: And hey; maybe next year the Jarl will have Black Loch or White River (moc coming soon :wink: ) as one of the fishing locations in the tournament! Eel pie is a delicacy in Orevale and no one can resist a salmon fillet. :raiseone:
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Great job with the story, and congrats to the winners!

I have to say that I think you did an even better job than I did last year with your presentation of the results, gurusql! I particularly enjoyed the "I'm sure I would have had a better return if the number of competitors was not so high" remark, since it's indeed true that my character would have hooked a fish with his single roll had the quantity not been reduced. Your comment showed a good eye for detail :)

Enjoy the feast of fish tonight, everyone! And then you best be off to attend the royal banquet, if you haven't left for the King's Isle already! :eyebrows:
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

AK_Brickster wrote: I have to say that I think you did an even better job than I did last year with your presentation of the results, gurusql! I particularly enjoyed the "I'm sure I would have had a better return if the number of competitors was not so high" remark, since it's indeed true that my character would have hooked a fish with his single roll had the quantity not been reduced. Your comment showed a good eye for detail :)
Thank you AK, I had a lot of fun writing it! I tried when possible to pull details from write-ups, pictures and as you mentioned the die rolls - that was my attempt to make it personal for as many people as possible. :wink:
Kayne_
Laborer

Post by Kayne_ »

Excellent job guys! This was a really fun little LC! gurusql, I second what AK said. The presentation of the results made this much more fun than just a presentation of numbers. I wasn't here last year to know how that one went, but I can see why it was so much fun and should definitely be an annual event!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=darkenrahl_17]Kayne is able(Bricklink)[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkenrahl_17/]My Flickr[/url]