LCC - GCV - "In the Wake of Darkness"

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

LCC - GCV - "In the Wake of Darkness"

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

My entry to the Global Challenge Five, and also the continuation of Andared's story. To understand the context, you may want to look back at this: At the Banks of the Aines

In the Wake of Darkness:

After two days of swift marching, Andared and the Dragon Clan ranger were nearing the crossing of the Lomansruth (a branch off the Aines River that connects to Everlyn’s Tears Lake). Both of them were filled with unease as they made their way toward the bridge. During their entire trip, neither of them had seen another traveler. It was true, however, that they had made it a point to avoid the main roads when possible. Nevertheless, the unease remained in the back of their minds.
“Have you got anything to barter with, once we reach Ainesford?” Andared queried as he brushed aside branches of foliage.
“I have a few drakens,” the ranger replied, gesturing to a small pouch on his belt.
“Enough for two horses?”
The ranger didn’t reply, but the grim expression on his face told Andared the answer.
“Once we arrive at Ainesford, we may be able to barter for—“
He never finished his sentence. They had just arrived at the bridge that crossed the Lomansruth; what they saw stopped them dead in their tracks. Littered across the bridge were the bodies of Lenfel men, women, even children. There was a nauseating smell of rotted and decaying flesh. Rats had already begun to gather around this new meal. With his skin crawling at the sight of this brutal slaughter, Andared was on the verge of vomiting. Then they heard a faint, but distinct, moan from a man lying at the steps of the bridge.
“Are you alright?” the ranger asked as he ran over to the dying man.
The man didn’t reply, but the large pool of blood beside him indicated that he didn’t have long. After steadying himself, Andared ran over and knelt beside the man.
“What happened?”
“We were…attacked,” the man coughed violently, spraying more blood. “Never…had a chance. Had red and…black flags.”
“Where were they headed?” the ranger pressed him, desperate to learn what he could while the man still had breath.
“They crossed…they crossed the bridge,” the man struggled to breath. “Must have been…going to Ainesford. We didn’t even try to run…”
“How many were there?”

It was as though the man hadn’t heard him. He just stared blankly at the sky.
“Even the women and children…What did they want from us?”
“How many?” The ranger shook him, trying to keep him from slipping away.
“Black flags…”
He started to choke, then fell silent. Reaching out, Andared covered the man’s empty eyes. Neither of them said a word as they stepped across the fallen bodies. They had arrived too late. Lenfald was lost…

====================================================================================================================================

One again, I'm making an unfortunately typical "last-minute" to the contest. Better late than never though. :oops:

Hope you enjoy, and good luck to everyone in the contest!
mpoh98
Justiciar

Re: LCC - GCV - "In the Wake of Darkness"

Post by mpoh98 »

Well done! Nice build and story!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Post by Aeridian »

I like the bridge, looks nice. What a somber greeting... :?

The path might look better if it wasn't so straight, and loose clear studs work wonders for water. Just a couple things I noticed. ;)
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeridian/]Flickr[/url]
Andared of Lenfald
Foot Soldier

Post by Andared of Lenfald »

Thanks to both of you!
Aeridian wrote: What a somber greeting... :?
Yeah, I tried to leave a serious/tragic undertone in order to highlight the "evil" nature of our new dictator. Looking back at it, I think I might have made it slightly melodramatic, but I guess that's according to each person's individual take on it.
Aeridian wrote: The path might look better if it wasn't so straight, and loose clear studs work wonders for water. Just a couple things I noticed. ;)
Well, it was supposed to be the "main road/highway" for that region, so I thought it made more sense to have it as a clear cut path (especially at the part closest the bridge), but it does look a bit plain, I agree. I think it could be fixed with some more foliage/green plates around it.

Totally agree with you on the water bit as well. Unfortunately, I only have about 200 trans-clear blue studs (need to go to my local-ish Lego store and fill up half a PAB cup with them), and that amount will only barely cover about half of the water that's shown in this vignette.

Thanks for your comments/criticism! :)
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Post by Aeridian »

Andared of Lenfald wrote:
Aeridian wrote: The path might look better if it wasn't so straight, and loose clear studs work wonders for water. Just a couple things I noticed. ;)
Well, it was supposed to be the "main road/highway" for that region, so I thought it made more sense to have it as a clear cut path (especially at the part closest the bridge), but it does look a bit plain, I agree. I think it could be fixed with some more foliage/green plates around it.

Totally agree with you on the water bit as well. Unfortunately, I only have about 200 trans-clear blue studs (need to go to my local-ish Lego store and fill half a PAB cup with them), and that amount will only barely cover half of the water that's shown in this vignette.
Another tip that helps a road look better, especially one as commonly frequented as this, is to lower it below the surrounding grass. Since it's probably been used often the dirt would eventually get packed down lower compared to the higher, less used, sides... anyway sorry if this was too much additional critiquing.
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeridian/]Flickr[/url]