New for LCC in 2014!

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

New for LCC in 2014!

Post by AK_Brickster »

Happy New Year, denizens of Roawia!

Over in the King's Council, we've been discussing a few exciting developments to shake things up a bit in 2014.
I know you've been anxiously waiting for these updates since I posted a teaser about 24 hours ago, so I won't beat around the bush....

All factions are now open for sign-ups!
We took a tally of recent activity in all four factions (thanks to Sir Erathor for his help) and have deemed the factions to be balanced enough to allow Loreos and Lenfald to reopen. It remains to be seen if the new recruits for Garheim and Outlaws will stick around to keep things even, but for now we are back to welcoming applicants to all four factions!

New Global Challenge Format!
Our friends over at GoH have implemented a really neat format that we will be trying out over here as well.
From this point on, all Global Challenges will have three sub-categories for you to choose from.
Vignette / Fig Entry - A category created with for those with limited time or bricks at their disposal in mind, you will be able to submit GC entries with a max footprint of 8x8. This will earn you 1 personal status point and 1 global status point for your faction.
Size-Restricted Entry - The size restriction may vary, but for most challenges will require an entry between 20x20 and 32x32 studs in footprint (odd-sized footprints allowed, provided they fall within the min/max dimensions). Entries in this category will earn you 3 personal points and 3 global points.
Unrestricted Entry - The sky is the limit. Any entry larger than 32x32 falls into this category, and will earn you 5 personal points and 5 global points.

You may enter one, two, or all three subcategories per GC. This means you can potentially earn 9 points per GC for yourself and your faction if you submit entries into all three categories. This will allow people to build as much or as little as they want or are able.

Voting - Factions will still determine their finalists as before, but now you will select a finalist from every subcategory to represent your faction in the global finals. This means that each person will have three votes, one for each subcategory. If your faction does not have an entry for all three phases, it won't disqualify your faction, but it could hurt you in the finals, so you should try to make sure that all three subcategories are covered by at least one entry.
To determine the winning faction during global voting, we will apply a multiplier to your votes. Each Roawian will vote for their favorite finalist in all three categories, a total of three votes per person. Votes in the vignette category will count as one vote. Votes in the restricted category will count as double, and votes in the unrestricted category will be tripled.

Example:
(using two factions, Outlaws (O) and Garheim (G), for simplicity)
Vignette - O: 4 votes, G: 2 votes (x1)
Restricted - O:3 votes, G: 3 votes (x2)
Unrestricted - O: 2 votes, G 4 votes (x3)

Total votes for Outlaws: 4+3(x2)+2(x3) = 14
Total votes for Garheim: 2+3(x2)+4(x3) = 20

This system may need some tweaking as we go, once we see how it works out in practice. The idea is to reward the time investment required to build a larger winning entry.

New Guild Hall Features!
I know you've been clamoring for some new guilds, so I am currently working on adding 1-2 guilds which will be rolled out in the next few weeks. Also, there will be exclusive challenges which will only be open to those who have attained a certain rank within a guild, so be sure to work your way through the ranks so that you can qualify!
Additionally, anyone who starts a new guild and masters it by December 31st will be eligible for a prize drawing - prize to be determined. (if you have only completed your A1 task in a guild, I will consider completing that guild as satisfactory to qualify for the drawing)

Participation Reward Drawing!
To reward our active members for their contributions to the LCC, anyone who earns 50 or more points between today and Dec 31st will be entered to win a copy of 79004 - Barrel Escape as sponsored by the members of the King's Council. There will be consolation prizes as well, in the form of polybags and/or CMF's, so start earning those points and keep track of them for verification at the end of the year. Between free builds, guild builds, local and global challenges, you should have no problem getting to 50 points if you put your mind to it!

Individual Accolades!
Sometime near the end of the year, we will propose categories recognizing your individual achievements in 2014. These categories may include things like, "best storyline", "best battle scene", "top LCC contributor", etc. We will then take nominations for each category and open it up for voting at the end of the year. Winners will receive exclusive signature banners as well as prizes. If anyone would like to sponsor a category by providing a prize, we will happily allow you to do that when the time comes.

LCC Brawl Competition on Flickr!
This technically isn't new for 2014, since it has been going for a few months now, but the LCC Brawl Competition that is hosted on Flickr has been a lot of fun so far and has resulted in some really great 1-on-1 battles already. Be sure to check it out if you haven't yet, and be on the lookout for some round-robin-style tournaments over there in the future.

New Global Storyline Developments!
Read about the new Global Challenge HERE!

We hope that you like these new features and we are excited to see where LCC goes in 2014!
Feel free to express any excitement, questions, or concerns you might have in the comments below.

If you don't know what the Lands of Classic Castle (LCC) project is all about, but would like to learn more, spend some time reading through the table of contents and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.
Last edited by AK_Brickster on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Louie le Brickvalier
Apprentice

Re: New for LCC in 2014!

Post by Louie le Brickvalier »

Sounds like some great new ideas! I look forward to seeing how these fair throughout the year! :)
Sir Erathor
Landlord

Post by Sir Erathor »

OK, this sounds brilliant!
For the Glory of Loreos!
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/122904323@N02]Flickr[/url]|[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92143]MOCpages[/url]|[url=http://thebricktavern.blogspot.co.uk/]The Brick Tavern[/url]
[img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-Liaison.png[/img] [img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-03-Militia.png[/img]
General JJ
Villein

Post by General JJ »

Wow, this all sounds great! We better make sure Loreos and Lenfald don't get too full ;)
AK_Brickster wrote:
Participation Reward Drawing!
To reward our active members for their contributions to the LCC, anyone who earns 50 or more points between today and Dec 31st will be entered to win a copy of 79004 - Barrel Escape as sponsored by the members of the King's Council.
Do you mean January 31st? It's a bit late to have someone earn 50 points by December 31st. Or do you mean by next year?
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

General JJ wrote: Do you mean January 31st? It's a bit late to have someone earn 50 points by December 31st. Or do you mean by next year?
As this is all 'new for 2014' I think the idea is these are challenges to get people building and participating between now and Dec 31st 2014.

All looks exciting, especially the new categories for GCs. Hopefully means I'll be able to enter a few more.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
Janus Greatblaze
Gong Farmer

Post by Janus Greatblaze »

Wait... so Loreos is open? The thread that I found said it was still closed. Hmmm...
-The Knight with a Tail, Janus Greatblaze
Ronin Dragonslayer
Journeyman

Post by Ronin Dragonslayer »

Janus Greatblaze wrote:Wait... so Loreos is open? The thread that I found said it was still closed. Hmmm...
-The Knight with a Tail, Janus Greatblaze
Why does no one want to join Garheim? :cry: I feel like most Garhims have left but inactivity may have been due to the CCC; either way, I think all factions should remain open, regardless of numbers (unless those numbers will definitely affect scoring, storyline, etc.). :D
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

Yay, Lenfald can be opened up again! :D

I also love the new Global Challenge, and participation awards!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Sounds intresting AK, I may still think on joining. Life has just been crazy.

Curt
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
bronx
Foot Soldier

Post by bronx »

AK_Brickster wrote:Total votes for Outlaws: 4+3(x2)+2(x3) = 14
. . . 16. :wink:

I like the Global Challenge changes. I'm not sure about the score multipliers. I am sure it's a sign of my character (or lack thereof?), but I instantly wondered why anyone building on a 32x32 footprint wouldn't simply extend it four more studs with landscape or something unnecessary to earn more points for themselves and their faction.

I'm not even a member, though, so take my comments with whatever a grain a salt would take a comment with. Heh.

Really good job with everything, from the changes to the planned ideas and additions for the year. Makes me excited at the prospect of getting settled and actually being able to join and participate as much as I'd like.
Caelan
Aquarian

Post by Caelan »

bronx wrote:I am sure it's a sign of my character (or lack thereof?), but I instantly wondered why anyone building on a 32x32 footprint wouldn't simply extend it four more studs with landscape or something unnecessary to earn more points for themselves and their faction...
AK, Bronx does have a point, although I think very few would take advantage of it. Perhaps the Unlimited should really be like 40+ x 40 + or something along those lines. Just a thought. :raiseone:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/80813941@N08/]My Flickr Account[/url]
John 3:16
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

If you enter a 33x33 MOC into a category where everyone else is building 64x64 monsters, what do you think your chances are of winning? That's like putting on an extra pound so that you can qualify for heavyweight prize money only to get your teeth knocked in by Mike Tyson in the first round. :lol:

I think the opportunity to win a prize and the finalist points bonus with a competitively-sized entry in the restricted category will keep people from flocking to the unrestricted one.

Also, if nobody enters the restricted category, their faction will really be hurting when they can't get any votes for that category in the global voting phase.

I could be wrong, but let's see how it goes after a challenge or two and if adjustments need to be made after that, we can certainly make them.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!