How long do you keep your MOCS

Discussion of general LEGO topics
animmortal
Villein

How long do you keep your MOCS

Post by animmortal »

Im finding ive started destroying my creations faster and faster, how long do you guys keep yours together?
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: How long do you keep your MOCS

Post by AK_Brickster »

It depends on how much building time I have. I'm usually pretty limited for time, so my stuff ends up staying together for a long time since I don't need the parts for something else right away.

Even if I do start something else, most of my creations are small enough that I can build several things before I need to start vulturing parts from existing builds.

I would guess that most of my stuff has a shelf life of 3-6 months, on average.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

For me, usually until the day after I have taken the pictures. Sometimes it is because I want the parts. Other times it is simply because I've had enough of that MOC, or just don't want the space taken up.

But...having said that, I have one over a year old still together, one six months old still together, and one 10 years old still together. All for personal reasons. They have meaning.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

After the photos have been taken and archived, the day following I normally take the creation apart.

A lot of the parts I use in particular creations are needed for the next one (a landscape would need green plates, the next landscape would need the same sort of green plates), so it allows me to get working on the next creation. Another thing is that my desk space is limited, as well as my shelf space. Even if I wanted to keep a large creation together, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

I do keep almost all of my minifigures together, though. Especially from characters within my MOCs. Even if I'm not using them, they are kept together with all the other built minifigures.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I do keep almost all of my minifigures together, though. Especially from characters within my MOCs. Even if I'm not using them, they are kept together with all the other built minifigures.
Okay we are going completely off topic for a moment...maybe I should make a new thread. But I keep my figs together too. I know others who take them completely apart. I couldn't stand doing that!

Okay back on topic...there was a time where I was building a MOC a day and tearing them down immediately. That was amazing fun, but at that time I didn't build huge.

And glad to know I'm not the only one who tears them down immediately.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
animmortal
Villein

Post by animmortal »

I keep my figures together most of the time too, I find it easier than scavenging through hundreds of heads, I do have what I call my "Chop Shop" where if i put different hands on i put the discarded pieces in.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

I usually leave them up about a month. I display them on top of my entertainment center, across from the couch where I spend most of my time at home (I live in a small apartment), and by the time a month passes I'm usually getting bored with the view! Sometimes I'll leave them up longer if I'm looking forward to showing them off in person to someone who doesn't visit very often.
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

Well for me, I have very limited pieces, so I usually break them down the day of or the day after I take pictures. I wish I could keep them up, but to get another creation built, I need the pieces in my current one.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
legoknight
Freeman

Post by legoknight »

Great question animmortal! I was planning on asking this one time or another but you beat me to it.

Anyways, it really depends for me. There are builds that I've made that use parts that I don't need for building castle theme. Stuff like that I keep, unless it's necessary or it didn't turn out the way I liked it. But if it's castle themed, for CCCs I'll keep for a bit just to admire, but knowing I'll have to get the gray parts off sooner or later. :lol: Finally, my LCC builds I make to create my character's story are normally destroyed after I take a picture because they're only good when they're all together, but that would take too much of my pieces that I need.
Everything is awesome!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/69141053@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Louie le Brickvalier
Apprentice

Post by Louie le Brickvalier »

I start tearing my creations almost immediately after I take photos. I need the pieces for the next MOC and my collection is not large enough to have two MOCs displayed at the same time.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

It depends on how much I like a creation. The more I like it, the longer it lasts. And quite often, the longer a MOC lasts, I end up modifying it, and I like it even more. It can be an endless cycle. Usually though, when I post pictures of something, it is because I plan to take it apart.

I used to take apart my creations more frequently. I used to build a lot, and would break one creation to make another. But now, with working full time, I don't have as much energy to build or even take apart, so creations last longer.

As for minifigs, I say about 75% of my minifigs stay built. It is probably because most of my minifigs all distinct personalities, and I am quite a sentimental person when it comes to things like that.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Bluesecrets wrote:
Okay we are going completely off topic for a moment...maybe I should make a new thread. But I keep my figs together too. I know others who take them completely apart. I couldn't stand doing that!

Okay back on topic...there was a time where I was building a MOC a day and tearing them down immediately. That was amazing fun, but at that time I didn't build huge.

And glad to know I'm not the only one who tears them down immediately.
Blue that isn't off topic due to the fact that you can consider minifigs MOCS as well! I have a few I have pieced together Look at my Sig Fig. And depending on what I need I don't like taking apart mini figs unless I have to.

As for my MOCS and sets? It depends what it is. I still have my joust sets together as I haven't wanted to pull them apart yet. However some mocs a day later they get pulled apart. If it has meaning then it will stay together till after I take pics and need the parts.
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Hmm, let's see, my oldest MOC that I still have around is starting to close in on 15 years old. It's a train engine and is one of my very first MOCs (unfortunately I don't seem to have any online pictures of it).

My pink castle was started in 2001 I think, maybe 2000.

My Wolfpack cutters based on the ship in 6277 Imperial Trading Post is from 2000, but they're not exactly a MOC.

The oldest true MOC that forms part of my castle display is from 2002 (the wharf scene).

I have disassembled a few MOCs, but not many.

Particularly my castle MOCs, I am keeping together as I slowly build a larger and larger castle display.

Frank
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I take them apart when I desire the parts, the space, or a restoration of my organizational system.

There are exceptions, of course. Some things I keep together for many years.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

It all depends on how much I like the creation. If it has pieces I want but I really like the MOC I will postpone my new MOC or find a way around it. Some of mine can last up to a couple year and in that time they get some modifications. Others will last only a week or two and these one consist of contest entries. I've already broken all my CCC entries. An average a creation will last about a year. I only every brake something if I need pieces and never if I'm just bored.

Purple Wolf :)
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"