Bricklink Designer Program

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Re: Bricklink Designer Program

Post by Elephant Knight »

The caslte is a nice one, for sure, but it had sold out before I had even gotten online to check. I likely wouldn't have bought it anyways.

It sucks to be a Bionicle fan (I am one of those fans. Disappointed in the results, but not surprised at all.) Lego clearly has it out for Bionicle.
jtooker wrote:I cannot recommend the blacksmith enough. If your layout is sized to the more traditional LEGO castle sizes, it will look a bit big. But it has so many wonderful pieces - I'm sure you'd have fun scaling it down if you needed.
The out of scale-ness of the Blacksmith shop is very off-putting to me. It's just so out of scale of anything I ever build, it actually a deterrent for me. Awesome figs, and I love the tan horse, but yeah, it's just so huge.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Elephant Knight wrote:The caslte is a nice one, for sure, but it had sold out before I had even gotten online to check. I likely wouldn't have bought it anyways.

It sucks to be a Bionicle fan (I am one of those fans. Disappointed in the results, but not surprised at all.) Lego clearly has it out for Bionicle.
jtooker wrote:I cannot recommend the blacksmith enough. If your layout is sized to the more traditional LEGO castle sizes, it will look a bit big. But it has so many wonderful pieces - I'm sure you'd have fun scaling it down if you needed.
The out of scale-ness of the Blacksmith shop is very off-putting to me. It's just so out of scale of anything I ever build, it actually a deterrent for me. Awesome figs, and I love the tan horse, but yeah, it's just so huge.

EKnight
Considering it's almost twice the size of the original fan blacksmith set, it is huge for that. But my wharf scene has an inn on an almost 32x32 footprint so the ideas blacksmith is in line with that building for size, and I think it could also make a cute inn, so if I got it, that's what I'd do with it. But it's at the upper end of my price range these days, so the question is if another >$100 set would have more useful bits for me, or even three $50 sets... On the other hand, it IS a good price per piece.

The Bricklink Designer castle appealed to me a lot more.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

Elephant Knight wrote:The caslte is a nice one, for sure, but it had sold out before I had even gotten online to check. I likely wouldn't have bought it anyways.

EKnight
I’m not pointing out anyone in particular in this thread, but when the first images of this Ideas set leaked, there was a lot of negativity around it on multiple social media platforms about how this set was down sized from the original idea. Now, we’ve seen some push the other way about how it’s too large and out of scale. I always thought it was pretty close in line with the original idea (maybe a stud or two shorter and narrower?) and scaled well for what it is. Ultimately though, it’s Lego, just scale it to your needs. It has excellent parts and can be made smaller if you need it to. The price point may be higher than you’d like or can afford, and that’s fair, but this set is a gem for castle parts. Also, it’s done a great job in the community driving a like design style. You see it in some of the new Ideas submissions. I do wish we would have gotten a new civilian torso print, but the Black Falcons were a nice inclusion.

Castle fans should be supporting this and the 3 in 1 set if you hope to see any future sets - whether one offs or a theme. Double VIP points next week is a good time to get it- especially if you’re local store has a damaged box for even cheaper (as mine usually does).
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Post by jtooker »

The second round just opened and the Windmill (the most medieval set) is already halfway funded and in the lead.

Your chance to order ends on Dec 14 or when 10,000 preorders have been made, whichever happens soonest.

[url]https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-progra ... n-Windmill[/url]

[img]https://file.bricklink.info/19/1736/1736541. ... A1CCBB.png[/img]

The [url=https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-progra ... st-Builder]Quest Builder[/url] is also medieval themed but is in last place.

[img]https://file.bricklink.info/19/1747/1747401. ... B49489.png[/img]