vladek attack kit review

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
timber_wolf899
Merchant

vladek attack kit review

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I saw a question about the castle wall segment so i figured i'd get off my lazy butt and post a review. : )

First the castle.

the good; color scheem is very nice. I mean this thing looks pretty good assembled.

it has a lot of bricks for its size. Granted there are some pre-molds i could do withought like the turret tops, but it has a lov of 1x1 and 1x2 light grey. Also i think the new molded wall element is far superior to the older half octagon. the new part has notches so it can fit into a wall, and since its thicker than the old wall pannels it actually lends itself ot thicker walls. Also nice are the black doors and the caldron.

the bad; the figs are crap, what can i say. I actually like rascus. I slapped a regular black vizor on him, gave him a DM shield+gold sword and red cape and made a neat dragon warrior. Santis i was dissapointed in. the printing on his armor is such a horrid color. it should have been gold! i guess i could brasso it but i'm not confadent in my ability not to ruin the armor.

also the 'short' gate is kinda weird. the castle is build on a set of 1 brick high green plates, and the black doors come down behind the plate, if you get my drift. this strikes me as lego being cheep. they didnt want to make the gate normal hight so they 'hid' part of the doors behind the baseplate. looks really stupid from behind.

lastly, the set isnt modular, which kinda ticked me off. now granted you could make it modular with about half a dozen bricks but still......

the 'huh'; what is that gold disk on top of the castle?????

vladek's siege engine

not bad at all.
the good; it looks great. the ram works well, and the shadow knight is my man. also the large number of pole arms is a plus. they look really good in the new color. as has been said, the color works for metal but not for stone. Dark red parts are also good.

the bad; well i was a bit annoyed that it has a bridge but nowhere inside the twoer for soldiers to wait before the bridge drops. no ladder to reach the top either. and cardboard is horrible!

overall
awsome! far better than the rest of the line. more sets like this would make me a poor man

the value is incredible too. for 30 you get two strong sets.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Thanks for the review. I was probably going to buy it anyway, but now I'm more likely to.
Do you have a picture of the wall segments? How many come in the set?
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I bought it, totally agree with the review, pretty much word for word. I can take pics if timber_wolf can't.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

would appreciate it if you could take the pics dude. i have no digicam. i know lame.

you get two of the wall elements with bar windows.

Another thing, you know i really like rascus's armor! i was looking forward to getting it just because i've always liked green, but this stuff looks nice!

anyone out there have had success brassoing the red armor?
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Here you go, instead of taking new pics I linked to these ones from C-C's own set archives. The images are from Ben E and Yaron Dori, I believe. Oh by the way, I am dudette.
Last edited by Bluesecrets on Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

roger that
my apologies
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I was actually looking for a picture of the piece itself, but I suppose that the set picture gives you a decent enough understanding of what the piece looks like. Thanks.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

More reasons to buy these sets. As with Dr.S, I was going to anyway, but more reasons are good...

Now, to find the money somewhere....
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I took some pics for you, hope they are what you wanted. If not, I can take more. Oh, the link isn't public yet. (I'm still learning about all of this.)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=98474
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

blue rules!

ok ok so i'm still sucking up for thinking she was a guy.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Hahahahaha!!! No sucking up required, you didn't know. I just hope the pics are what you want.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I'll probably get it. Morcia is growing on me, Made my own lil custom torso for some of the royal morcian soldiers and used alot of the shadow knight torso's that Sava so graciously put on the site, so I'm starting to amass up a small force of each.

As for the 4 provinces, that'll take some clever thinking to make up stuff for them. Anyway I'll probably get the Combo, because I was gonna get just the wall, but for 10 more its too good a lil deal to pass on up.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

That's almost exactly the type of picture I was looking for. Yeah, I'm definitely going to be buying the combo, and maybe a couple more of the walls.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I do want to get one of these. That will probably be it though as I have too much classic gray to start over. I have dealt with the ill conceived colourful knights and prescripted story, but have yet to get over the "bley" issue. Interesting to note that classic light grey has the highest parts count of any colour on BL (so WHY change the colour that there is the most pieces of?) According to Peeron only black, red, yellow, and white have more elements than grey.

A good way to get the knights and I am glad there are quite a few bricks.
Troy T. Moore
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Nice review; thanks a lot! Nice set, compared with the rest of KKII. Actually some useful pieces! ;)