Mountain Fortress - Bricklink Designer Program 3

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Mountain Fortress - Bricklink Designer Program 3

Post by jtooker »

Mountain Fortress by Sleepless Night will go on sale Wednesday, February 7th. It looks like a terrific castle (and should for US $379.99!). Its got a whopping 3,995 parts and loads of details. It comes with 9 minifigures.

Like other Bricklink Designer Programs, it is a pre-sale. You 'pay' now, but the money isn't taken out until it ships, months later. There will only be one run of production.
jtooker
Admin
Admin

Re: Mountain Fortress - Bricklink Designer Program 3

Post by jtooker »

I'll give my 2¢. This looks like a great LEGO castle, but if you only buy one $400 LEGO castle, I'd strongly recommend 10305 Lion Knights' Castle both for the extra part count, but mostly for the additional figs and heraldry. Having put together other Bricklink Designer Program sets, their construction is not as polished as a normal LEGO set (and the Lion Knight's Castle is no exception!).

From what little we can see of this castle, it looks good overall. The stonework is excellent and the decorations/shapes of it are spot on. The walls do not look like large boring gray walls (as much as a gray castle can). The tower itself is especially nice and makes a great focal piece.

The major letdown for me is the amount of raw studs exposed on the roofs and the floors of the castle interior. The walls of the top Tudor room are built out of fairly basic techniques too (the same can be said about the Lion Knights Castle).

I will say the decoration above the main gate is especially fantastic!
Kurojaki
Freeman

Post by Kurojaki »

In my opinion this easily looks better than the Lion Knights Castle, well at least the exterior does. As for the interior, it isn't as detailed, but I kind of like the fact that it's not so crowded with stuff. And yeah the tower has really nice details.

Won't have this in my collection, got limited budget and Lion Knights Castle would win with its part selection. I always part out everything within a few days anyway.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Very nice looking model, would look great next to the Lion Castle on a shelf, But no room in the budget for this. I won't be getting it, and I likely won't regret that decision.

But it is a very nice model.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

I missed out on the crowdfunding but don't really regret it. The castle looks great but for the price, I would rather buy multiple sets of 31120 to expand the Black Falcon castle. I compared it to the Falcon Master's Castle built using 4x 31120 Medieval Castle and the Falcon Master's Castle looks more impressive to me. Besides, if I do change my mind, I could download the instructions of the BrickLink/LEGO Mountain Fortress set and source the parts from my own collection and buy the missing parts from BrickLink or PAB. Below are YouTube videos about the castles.

Falcon Master's Castle - 4x 31120 Medieval Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coyn4gZJaTU

LEGO Mountain Fortress REVIEW | Series 1 BDP Set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoJdOa3EwoY

"What a day for a knight... and a knight for a day!"
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

LEGO_KNIGHT wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:14 pm I missed out on the crowdfunding but don't really regret it. The castle looks great but for the price, I would rather buy multiple sets of 31120 to expand the Black Falcon castle. I compared it to the Falcon Master's Castle built using 4x 31120 Medieval Castle and the Falcon Master's Castle looks more impressive to me. Besides, if I do change my mind, I could download the instructions of the BrickLink/LEGO Mountain Fortress set and source the parts from my own collection and buy the missing parts from BrickLink or PAB. Below are YouTube videos about the castles.

Falcon Master's Castle - 4x 31120 Medieval Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coyn4gZJaTU

LEGO Mountain Fortress REVIEW | Series 1 BDP Set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoJdOa3EwoY

That Falcon Master's castle is quite impressive! IT's amazing what people can do with just 4 of the same set.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life