5%
it makes me a better builder
22%

Total votes: 37

Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

it really dosent matter

For me anyways, I sometimes listen to LOTR soundtrack music, which has some nice medevil theme to it.

Dave
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I usually listen to The Who or Seatbelts when I build. It passes time.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Most of the time I listen to music when building. Simply because I listen to music most of the time :-)
Often I just turn on the radio and listen to whatever is on air right then, often I listen to music I chose by myself. Pink Floyd is a good choice. I only like albums that you can listen to from their beginning to their end. So that rules out a lot of stuff...

I also like music that doesn't distract me from what I'm doing with my hands meanwhile. So as J1A3L5 listens to Rammstein I listen mostly to English music because I can easily blind out the lyrics...

Bye
Jojo

rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Music is good.

Pink Floyd also works for me. I listened to it all the time when building jigsaw puzzles with my dad when I was younger, so it seems like appropriate "building" music.

I also listen to a lot of metal. Blind Guardian is good, for those German bards are always inspiring. Opeth, Dream Theater, or whatever else seems appropriate at the time.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I like to listen to music while I'm building. I can't really live without music. That's why I compose music too. Look at www.inorchestral.com

The Pleasure is great when I build with Lego, and when I add music, the pleasure is even more great. I don't think it influence what I build, but both together is what I like the most in Life ! I think its a great experience each time. :D

Tangerine Dream and Mike Oldfield is my choices for building, because it's inspiring and there is no lyric or very few. Pink Floyd may be a good choice too. I didn't try with Pink Floyd but I guess it could be good. :wink:
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Jojo wrote:Most of the time I listen to music when building. Simply because I listen to music most of the time :-)
I'm in the same camp, Jojo!

I'm usually a classical music guy; typically Beethoven, Bach, and Sibelius get the nod (probably in that order). The format of the string quartet always seems to inspire me more than anything else; perhaps because the purpose of the quartet is to bring four distinct voices (okay, three distinct voices playing four parts if you want to be a purist) into a meaningful work while retaining the individuality of the separate voices.

Lately it seems like I've done most of my design work on computer, which suits classical music perfectly. For the actual building I tend to prefer less intricate but more energetic stuff, typically "guilty pleasure" music--80s, hair metal, et al.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
rogue27 wrote:Opeth, Dream Theater, or whatever else seems appropriate at the time.
Oh yes, Opeth! And in this context I can also only recommend Anathema. The Gathering from the Lowlands is also good. Not the same genre but good, too: Live (that's the name of the band...).

Bye
Jojo

erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

i listen to heavy metal and hard rock :twisted: and evrything else i have on my mp3 player at the time but mostly heavy metal. the only problems are the so goddamn cool guitar solos i alvays play whit :D . the only problems is that i dont have a guitar and the case that all i can play is smoke on the water on one string :roll: . if the batteries is out at the mp3 i listen to the radio or just let it be

and i altso listen to weird al like tony. i got abou 250 megabytes of him on the comp and im downloading more

Erik
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
rogue27 wrote:Opeth, Dream Theater, or whatever else seems appropriate at the time.
Oh yes, Opeth! And in this context I can also only recommend Anathema. The Gathering from the Lowlands is also good. Not the same genre but good, too: Live (that's the name of the band...).

Bye
Jojo

Awesome fig!

I didn't actually expect anybody in here to know Opeth. :) I'll have to check out some of those bands you mentioned. I've heard of them before, but that's about it.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I listen to classical, Celtic, fiddle, and the soundtrack of LOTR (still trying to convinve my sister to buy herself the POTC soundtrack so I can listen to it :twisted: ). I also listen to books-on-tape while building and the evening news while sorting. I also build with nothing playing, just the noise of LEGO filling my ears. :)

I agree there should be a 'Doesn't make a difference' catagory, so I am not voting.

I don't think music/other background noise aids my building, I just like to listen and build at the same time (once in a while I also eat while building and listening :lol: )

PS - great fig Jojo!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I listen to rock music...when I build...the last time I listed every band they got mad at me because the list is so long...

edit: forgot about classical music...nothing beats Moonlight...
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I tend to listen to talk radio, because I'm a news/politics junky. Either that, or I'll have the TV on in the background.

I'm a little confused on the poll. Aren't "Yes it does" and "It makes me a better builder" the same thing?

Bruce

PS Jojo, I really like your Steward avatar. Any plans to continue modifying your pic as your forum rank changes? Too bad we missed your interpretation of a gong farmer. :)
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Hmmm... Pink Floyd...
Here's my full list.

The Who
The Doors
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles
Linkin Park
Seatbelts (Japanese Jazz Band. Did music for the awesome anime Cowboy Bebop.)
Switchfoot
Beasty Boys
Modest Mouse
Franz Ferdinand

The list goes on...
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I usually listen to music or something... tv for example when building.

I usually listen to something when im doing anything other than reading (only because its sorta hard for me to read while theres something distracting.)

It's just boring sitting there in silence listening to yourself dig through a box of legos.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Snippity Snipped :wink:
Bruce N H wrote:I tend to listen to talk radio, because I'm a news/politics junky. Either that, or I'll have the TV on in the background.

Bruce
I listen to Coast to Coast AM when I am building at night. Not exactly castle fare, but I'll bet there are a few .spacers out there who build with George Norry.

Yesterday while I was sorting, my Daughter was listening to the sountrack for CATS. Very strange fare, I'd imagine if I had built anything, it would have been a little off-kilter. :D

Will

William
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.