The BrickLords need you !

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

You are not far away from a good game, I enjoyed the time I spent playing it, the only problem I had was the difficulty level. I am sure with practice I will get better. Or perhaps a few parameter changes could make the beginning of the game a little easier to get into. Do not lose hope, Bricklords has the making of a very decent web game. I applaud your efforts so far.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Gave the game another try, the difficulty is much improved, but how do people avoid getting lost? I have had little luck navigating, the whole go back/go forward thing must be beyond my novice talents. Keep in mind that aside from Age of Empires II, I haven't played any games since Frogger and Joust on the old Commodore 64. I like the game, but I keep having to start over. Any hints for the directionally challenged?

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
verneer
Serf

Post by verneer »

Will,

Having a map definitely helps. Understanding how the game works also helps a little - that just comes from playing. Yes, there are some growing pains to go through, but once you get past them, it's really fun.

Finally, using landmarks also helps (doors, corners, etc). If you know approximately where you are and you see a door on your left, you can re-orient yourself.

I put together a small guide that will gets lots of additions soon. It can be found on my site:

http://www.hostultra.com/~verneer/

A sections on moving around might be good ...

-- Pawel
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

Denix wrote:
You known, I'm working on it since 6 months and it's really difficult to make a good game. It seems that I'm really far away a good game.

Denix, disappointed by the first day of bricklords.
Don't be disappointed Denix, this is a great game. I have been a big fan of role playing games for years and I think this is definitely a good game. One of my favorite games of all time was Dungeon Masters by Interplay. Your game has the same "feel" to it and is just as challenging.

For those of you who are not big gamers - the point of the game is to figure it out for yourself, that's what makes it interesting. If it was too easy, it would just be a story, not a game. You should expect to be killed several times. If you make a map as you go, you will learn a little more each time you start over. You will find what areas to avoid until you are better prepared to face them.

Java script has a lot of problems and is not standard across the browsers, so there will be a few bugs. I expect you will have to massage the code and find workarounds for the non-standard code, but I think it can be done. I have been playing the game with Internet Explorer and have had no problems at all.

Good game Denix, keep up the good work.
Stephen
Dada
Freeman

Post by Dada »

Hello!!!
I have play your play and I find it brilliant.
But the fact that sometimes that one item breaks with the combat is very frustrating in my opinion (when one spends 200 gold coins for an armour and that it breaks against a skeleton...)
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Did you fix the thing so I can use mozilla? Thank you :D
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey all,

Denix, I've been playing this this morning and it's really well done, both as a game and as a MOC. If you do a revision at any point one suggestion would be to construct a few more straight wall sections--for example one with a torch, one with a chain, one with some rubble, and so on--just to reduce the repetitive nature of all the hallway sections being the same image over and over. Also these would make good landmarks which would make play a little quicker so you wouldn't have to check your map with each step to avoid losing your place.

Pawel, I used your tutorial for the first segment. It was really helpful. Now, though, I'm going to strike out on my own and not look at the rest of the tutorial.

Bruce
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I think i'll try it now...