Paypal

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Paypal

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Not sure what other forum this would be best in, but here seems right, given the options. I am sure some, perhaps even many of you use Paypal. For BL orders it would make the people I buy from lives easier as well as speed things up (have been using MO's and WU money transfers (expensive) ) Could someone give it to me in laymans terms (ie "the Reader's Digest version", short and to the point)? How it works, what it costs to send, etc. I tried slugging through their site this morning, but do not have time to read it all now. Will print it out later to see if I can convince the financial steward (my wife) that it is cool and that I don't have to wait until next fall to make a BL order (yeah, I'm sure none of you have "overspent", EVER! :wink: ) Thankyou.
Troy T. Moore
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Troy,

I might not be the best to explain this so if anyone else is willing to respond, they should.

The buying benefits of paypal are great. It gets money quickly to the seller which saves time. Obviously your LEGO is shipped to you much sooner. Sending payment is free.

All of the problems I have heard is from sellers who accepted money from paypal. There are fees for recieving payments which vary depending on what type of account you have.

I assume that you will only be sending money. You need an email account, bank account, and credit/debit card. When you sign up you enter this information. Paypal sends two small deposits to your bank account. Once you have your bank statement you can see these amounts. (an example would be $0.17 and $0.38 ) By entering these numbers at paypal, you verify your account and can send money.

Most sent money is taken directly from your bank account or credit card to the seller. Many sellers like balance funded payment, not credit, because this reduces the seller fees.

It would be good to have a certain bank account for paypal. A separate account without very much money in it. If someone got ahold of your paypal info, they could drain your account or run up a credit bill. Watch out for scams. There are a lot of fake sites, looking just like paypal, that send out mass emails for people to update their info. Ignore these! Only enter info if the beginning of the webpage is https://www.paypal.com That is very important.

You can also search on the web for sites telling about paypal horror stories - which do exist. Some people like to use paypal and others avoid it. Personally, I think that it is a good tool for buyers if you take proper precautions.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I sent Troy a PM with some pretty good detail about Paypal and the registration process. Hopefully it is all the info he needs.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

so who gets the five bucks if our man signs up for paypal : )
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I think that about covers all you need to know about paypal. And no, none of us have EVER overspent on bricklink. hehe

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Thought I posted a thankyou here yesterday, but this morning I don't see it..... Anyways, thankyou to all for your help, comments and pointers (particularily about scams). I do appreciate it. It's all in the works :D "click, click, clickety, click = $$"
Troy T. Moore