Weekly Set Review: Dragon Wagon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Dragon Wagon

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6056 Dragon Wagon.

Dragon Wagon was released in 1993 for the Dragon Masters. This wagon is pulled by two horses and has a cage containing a dragon. The set also includes a driver, a mounted knight, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The poor coachman gets roasted.

I like driving this coach over my table top, it's a somewhat nice feeling because the wagon is heavy, and it makes a cool sound...
I like the fact they added a saddle to the set. And if you need those brown ladders this set is an El Dorado. Otherwise I'm not too impressed.

Bye
Jojo

Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi
The poor coachman gets roasted.
hehe how very true

Ok I'll add a few words on that set, although at first glance it looks very impressive in it's size - probably the biggest - it fails when it comes to have real parts where Carts like 6047 and 6044 do it much better. Still a few good points - in 1993 it was one of the only 3 sets that had a dragon and even the smallest one, it had the nice DM flag, 2 minifigs, the new dragon helmet, 2 red horse head covers, helbard axe and one DM shield which are all new parts in 1993. Also 2 horses which is nice. The color scheme of red/black always works well which is quite unique here cause most of the other carts are really blue/black. Got a nice playabilty for a cart. Still hard to find a usefull alternative model.

Overall not a bad model 8/10
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Jojo wrote:The poor coachman gets roasted.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Methinks that the Dragon Masters either have a deathwish or simply aren't very smart.
This is an all right looking set (I've never owned it). I'm not really a fan of those huge halberds or the dragon plumes on that helmet. I always wanted a green dragon as a kid, but now that I'm older, it's just another piece that I won't use.
One problem with this set is that the front wheels are too small, in my opinion, and I don't like the fact that the front and back wheels don't match.
The cons of this set are offset by the fact that the carriage has a nice shape, if a little bit sparse-looking. Besides, it has two horses there (my monitor is kind of old, so everything is very dark... is one of those horses brown?).
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I feel sorry for the coachman, but in all other aspects I really like this set.

Let me explain:
I think that the DM are misunderstood among most people, the poor guys just wanted to live in peace and breed dragons, why? you ask, well because they make excellent pets. But that's beside the point.

This set was one of the first I bought for my self with my own money, and therefor it's kind of a favorite. I like the hight of it, always thought it was one of the coolest sets. The only thing I really Do'nt like is that the DM flag on the roof is only printed on one side, what's that all about?

I always thought that the lego dragons looked rather good.

And yes. One of the horses is brown, tha other one is black, and they both have that lovley red dragon helmet thing!

A VERY good set!

-joel
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, I think that the waggon is rather ugly, and I don't approve of the designers' choice to use different coloured horses, but other than that, I think its a very good set. It come with spare saddles (yellow!!), two figs (awesome from my point of view, whatever certain art critics may think), a dragon, and a pretty large waggon (and yes, I need more brown ladders :D )

Playability is good too. While these guys are all from the same type, you can have lots of fun having them go dragon hunting and dragon-taming, etc. Any game with a fire-breathing monster can be fun. :D

Parts: 7.5/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 6.5/10
Design (now): 8/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 7.67/10
Last edited by Formendacil on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

I first got this set from ebay, and unfortunately it came without a bunch of the pieces. That sure was a blow.
But since then I have acquired the missing pieces and I actually like the set.

The cage construction is ok, not as good as some of the other DM wagons but its still neat. The variation with horses is also good as we get a mixture instead of two of one colour. Which I think is good.
The figure selection is alright and there are alot of nice parts and weapons.

Overall a good little set. I would give it about 8/10.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

I have a sentimental attachment to this particular set. I remember saving for it for ages so I could buy it, and having a grand time with it when I finally bought it. Way back when, Rite Aid was still Payless, and they actually carried most of the smaller sets ($20 and under) of many different lines.

When I came out of my dark ages, I made sure that I found it, MISB on eBay. I paid I think $25 shipped for it, and reveled in building it. I've been meaning to modify it so the driver stays alive, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I like it as a vehicle for my sparsely populated, ever-changing town.

I like the set. What can I say?
:)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Not only will the dragon make the driver warm and toasty, he can also incinerate his own cart and cage :wink: You would think his cage should be made of iron and not wood. He is a dragon after all. Even 6042 Dungeon Hunters had iron bars for Robin Hood.

I think this wagon is ok and has a nice collection of pieces such as the dragon, flag, saddle, figures, and red horse hitching pieces. It isn't my favorite wagon though.

Ben E.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

For the price, you get two figs, not much, but ok, two horses, great, a dragon, cool (or hot),
and a few horse lashings with the flag, alright. However, this set reminds me too much of KK1, with that helmet, haliberd, and horse helmets. They were cool in the day, but lego force-fed us fistfulls of them with the KKI line.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

I like it, nice figs, Nice horses-saddle, and a DRAGON!
this set is on my 'to gitt' list.hopfuly won't be long.

Dave
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

architect wrote:Not only will the dragon make the driver warm and toasty, he can also incinerate his own cart and cage :wink: You would think his cage should be made of iron and not wood. He is a dragon after all. Even 6042 Dungeon Hunters had iron bars for Robin Hood.
Hey! Who says it not... er.... copper. Yeah, that's it! Copper caging (made out of water-heating pipes)...

See, it's not wood! :D

And everyone knows that Robin Hood is more dangerous and liable to escape than a pet dragon. The bars are just there so that Fido doesn't fall during long drives.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

Not exactly worth it for the price. Only 2 figs and 2 horses, and a dragon if you need more. Not the best designed wagon set either. 4/10
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

doctorsparkles wrote:
Jojo wrote:The poor coachman gets roasted.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Methinks that the Dragon Masters either have a deathwish or simply aren't very smart.
I have this set and wondered the same thing. The deathwish vs. smarts. It all revolves around the status of the dragon. Is it wild and captured or tame and being transported? If it is tame, then maybe it is trained to only warm the driver? I also like the idea of copper water pipes for the cage. Maybe it is actually a hot water wagon and is delivering hot water to all the villagers! Seriously, this set has great play value and a decent selection of parts, little wheels and big wheels, two figs, and two horses. Overall about an 8.

Josh

PS. My flag is printed on both sides.