Colossal Castle Contest II

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Dragon Master wrote:I'm rather dissapointed with what LEGO has donated. Why not some KKII sets?

A robot set?

BLEH!
Umm.. don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Donated sets are donated sets and TLG gave what they could. Besides, the Make&Create series, IMHO, are MUCH better than the KK2 line - and the Robots gave us the oppurtunity to try out a new category (Da Vinci Category), since we base our categories on what prizes are available.
I started a MOC a couple days ago with the intent of this contest, since I knew it would be coming up shortly.
We will be lenient in some cases, since you intended the MOC specifically for us (contact us privately - PM either Bene or me).

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Another question: I have few LEGO rubber bands (and none of them are big enough for what I had in mind) and even fewer strings (again, smaller than I need). Can non-LEGO strings and rubber bands be used in creations, provided the rest of the model is pure LEGO?
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

doctorsparkles wrote:Another question: I have few LEGO rubber bands (and none of them are big enough for what I had in mind) and even fewer strings (again, smaller than I need). Can non-LEGO strings and rubber bands be used in creations, provided the rest of the model is pure LEGO?
I assume you're refering to Seige weapons. Good question. I'd say yes - but I'll bring this up with the other admins. It's been fairly common practice that for seige engines, non-LEGO string, rubber bands, etc are okay (ie, at the TexLUG Trebuchet contest, and other events).

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I noticed that there were limits on how large your creations could be for certain catagories. But on the Castle Life catagory there are no limits on how large the baseplate can be. Are there restrctions on how large your Castle Life creation can be?

I also am wondering. For the Outlaw catagory. Do we have to build an out post, small fortress, exc. Our can we build say...a training ground. Or on the hunt? Even an ambush?
Space rocks.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

forester3291 wrote: I also am wondering. For the Outlaw catagory. Do we have to build an out post, small fortress, exc. Our can we build say...a training ground. Or on the hunt? Even an ambush?
ALso does it have to be an official lego outlaw? or can we just have a band of outlaws?
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Is the Master Builder category/prize included in the "one prize per person" rule, or is that a separate thing that automatically goes to the winner?
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
forester3291 wrote: I also am wondering. For the Outlaw catagory. Do we have to build an out post, small fortress, exc. Our can we build say...a training ground. Or on the hunt? Even an ambush?
ALso does it have to be an official lego outlaw? or can we just have a band of outlaws?

I also would like to know this. Becuase I only have Foresmen Shields and then have custom forestmen from the RP. I would have to use them.

Thanks!
Space rocks.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

forester3291 wrote:I noticed that there were limits on how large your creations could be for certain catagories. But on the Castle Life catagory there are no limits on how large the baseplate can be. Are there restrctions on how large your Castle Life creation can be?
"Build a small non-military building focusing on medieval life. Ideas include farms, houses, wells, and barns."

We're not creating restrictions yet, but the word "small" is in there. We're looking for quality detail here.
I also am wondering. For the Outlaw catagory. Do we have to build an out post, small fortress, exc. Our can we build say...a training ground. Or on the hunt? Even an ambush?
The category is called "Outlaw Fortress."

"Build a stand alone fortress, outpost, or hideout for outlaw factions such as the Forestmen, Bulls, or Wolfpack. Creations should fit on a 16x32 baseplate or smaller. Examples include 6066 Camouflaged Outpost and 6075 Wolpack Tower."

A training ground would qualify - because training areas have typically been analogous with fortifications, especially with outlaw groups.

A hunt would not be a Fortress.
Any outlaw is welcome. We're not trying to force the orthodoxy of LEGO Themes here(1).

-Lenny

(1) = While Bulls, Wolfpack and Forestmen are typically considered 'outlaws', we don't want to force anyone to make them so. The Bulls or Wolfpack could easily be a rival force invading the Knights' Kingdom, using traditional warfare (seige weapons, etc) and nontraditional (trade raiding, etc) in their efforts. Much of the story behind the official themes owes a lot to fan imagination, and we allow that imagination to roam ;)
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Catagories where it says
using only LEGO pieces
, would it be correct to assume unaltered (no customizing, which is the way I would like to see it)?

Also, should the entries be displayed stand alone (on a solid backround), or can they be part of a scene?

Thank you.
Troy T. Moore
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

rogue27 wrote:Is the Master Builder category/prize included in the "one prize per person" rule, or is that a separate thing that automatically goes to the winner?
Good question. It is a seperate thing to automatically go to the winner. However, I don't expect that to be the case - last year the guy who would have won this category, had we had this category, was consistently coming in 2nd or 3rd place in every category he entered. It is for that guy that we have created this category.

But don't fret - if you have won one category, it doesnt automatically disqualify you from the Master Builder. Also, if you win multiple categories, we tend to ask the person which category they'd rather win (The Little Armory and Red Bean prizes are simple EXCEPTIONAL this year).

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I will assume that with the exception of the categories where it is expressly prohibited, (the Hero is the only one I seem to remember, if I even have the name right), customized fig accessories/figs will be allowed?

For example, if I wanted to have my shop selling Blasterman weapons, or if I had to make a custom sail in order to have a ship, that would be permitted?

Just thought I should ask, considering that I am a stickerizer and Blasterman fan, who didn't see this in the thread yet. At least not specifically.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Also, should the entries be displayed stand alone (on a solid backround), or can they be part of a scene?
They should be stand alone. Extra backgrounds will not help you but may distract the admins from your creation.

Modified bricks can only be used in the "Customized Medieval Figure" category. Stickers for shields or torsos are fine for the other categories but we will be grading on what you do with your bricks, not if you have cool stickers.

As Lenny said, the master builder prize will go to the person with the highest 7 entry averaged score. But I also suspect this will go to someone who places 2nd or 3rd in alot of categories, not first in just one.

As for the size of creations, most should be small to medium for this contest. We say in our introduction that everyone should be able to participate and not have to own vast quanitities of LEGO bricks. Again, we are looking for details, quality of construction, and playablity; but not necessarily size of creations or rarity of pieces used.

Also as Lenny stated, the Outlaw Fortress category should not be just a scene. It should be some type of fortress, outpost, or hideout.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Formendacil wrote:I will assume that with the exception of the categories where it is expressly prohibited, (the Hero is the only one I seem to remember, if I even have the name right), customized fig accessories/figs will be allowed?

For example, if I wanted to have my shop selling Blasterman weapons, or if I had to make a custom sail in order to have a ship, that would be permitted?

Just thought I should ask, considering that I am a stickerizer and Blasterman fan, who didn't see this in the thread yet. At least not specifically.
If you keep it within reason. While the HERO category is the only one that specifies only LEGO pieces; the Customized category is the only one which specifies customization. Stuff like Jeff's Weapons or a custom sail are fine - I guess the point is this: We aren't going to be judging on the quality of the customization. Put it this way: don't put twenty plus hours of work into a sail and expect to win just because of the sail.

Hope that makes sense.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Woot, i'm going to enter! Hmm..now let's see what we need :D
Yankee