Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6087 Witch's Magic Manor.

Witch's Magic Manor, released in 1997, is a rocky fortress for the Fright Knights. The set has a rock portcullis, a jail, a secret entrance, and a room for casting spells. Willa the witch is included along with her flying machine, a dragon, a Fright Knight, two soldiers, a skeleton, a forestman prisoner, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
kor
Peasant

Post by kor »

play ability- Kinda boring to me. Just not much going on with this set to keep it exciting.

piece selection- Really good selection of parts. Those rock walls are difficult to find and expensive to buy by themselves.

design- Alot of these Fright Knight sets really annoyed me due to their poor design. Its as if they were trying to make them look bad. I thought the idea was great but the end result sucked. IMO.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The most noteworthy thing about this set is the Dark Forest minifig. That's actually been the only evidence of this fig's existence in the German cataloge at all as the Dark Forest series was not regularly announced in the catalogue over here.

Back than I only glanced at this set one time in the catalogue and I did not buy it. The design seemed way too freakish to me than. It still does now. However, the assortment of bricks is not too bad. You get some BURPs (if you like them), some light grey and dark grey bricks and arches, two big green bricks (I usually refer to those parts as "big plates"), not least a grey octagonal column. Five minifigs + one skeleton + one dragon is not too bad, either.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

At first glance this set is not that attractive, maybe thats why nowadays I think its better then what I thought when I first saw it. Got 256 bricks which is not bad - makes it an medium big set. A nice collection of minifigs from the FK line and one DF and got a nice playabilty. Brick selection is mainly BURPville. If you need/want them thats the right set. Several arches are also included. The weirdness and it's unsymmtrical shpae makes it intresting to look at. I have to say that the pictures don't do perfect justice to this set. It looks better in real life. It's not on my top10 list and not even in my top20. It will never be a LEGEND or something of the sort. But it fits it's purpose and fits nicely with all the FK concept. It's not a bad set as you might think.

I'll give it 8/10.

Oh and it's very Halloween set, so happy scary Halloween everybody
Last edited by Webrain on Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Mountain

Post by JoshWedin »

The only thing I ever really caught my attention about this set is the LURPy gate. I was never a fan of Fright Knights. This looks like it has a good selection of pieces but I was never tempted to buy it. Is that a witchy helicopter that Willa is flying? I am becoming a little bit of a fright knight fan due to some of the torsos. Especially the gray with red fleur-de-lis.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

The only thing remotely cool about this set are, as previously mentioned, the pieces. All the LURPS and BURPS (Anyone know why they're called that?) are extremely usefull, as is that nifty little revolving door. I don't own this set and never will, but it had some great parts and minifigs. The set design, as a whole, was worse than the stuff I was building when I was seven.

Parts: 9/10 (weird baseplates)
Parts use: 7/10
Minifigs: 8/10 (Willa?)
Originality: 5/10
Playability:6/10

Total: 7/10
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Lord Mikal Wrote:
All the LURPS and BURPS (Anyone know why they're called that?)
LURP = Large Ugly Rock Piece

BURP = Big Ugly Rock Piece
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I never bought the set, but I wish I did :cry: I don't think the design is very good but the minifigs and parts make up for that.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Well....the green peasant is good... :?

Cm2
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Wow, this looks like a big pile of crap! However, like most of the medium to large Fright Knight sets, it has good parts and minifigs. The Dark Forest guy in there is a nice bonus too.

I'd buy it for parts if it was available today.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

Uck! 6087 is easily one of the worst Lego sets ever. Personally I think it makes some of the KK2 stuff like good. The good points are it comes with a few useful parts. I like the fleur-de-lis torsos, you can never have too many skeletons, and the dragon isn't that bad. About the only thing I like about main model, are some of the details of the little platform where the witch performs her spells.

Other than that this set is pretty bad. Before I got this set I thought boulder over the gate would be pretty cool (gimmicky I know, but it looked cool). Dozens of tries later it still doesn't work right. 1 out of 3 tries it gets stuck with out falling the whole way. Its never in cased a mini-figure, instead it strikes the mini-figure on the head or arm.

I hate the witch mini-figure. Its 100% useless. The little helicopter thing is a joke. This is CASTLE, not town. Heads should rolled for this a lone. The over all design of the set is super weak. 5 years could have come up with something better.
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Excellent figs and parts. Forest figs are always good and I like the fright knights torso as well. A wizards hat, skeleton and dragon...you can't go wrong.

The design is horrid, it looks like some one piled bricks up in no order, just hoping for a square fortified structure, the opening rock wall isn't impressive at all.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hmm, it's nothing special, in fact it's just plain BORING! I mean, there are no colors what so ever, not to mention the terrible design.

The only nice thing is the gate. I'm not sure if this is a castle or a mountain...what?

I dont like it. It looks stupid.

joel
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

One of my friends gave this set in mint condition to me for just 5 million TL (that's 3 $). And this is a great sourca for BURPS and a Foretmen minifig.Also you get a dragon. The gate is pretty easy to build from ordinary pieces. An average set that lacks beauty.

Grade: 7/10

Yankee
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Its an ok set. Nothing special. Burp-a-licious, if you will. Good way to get some Fright Knights and Dragon if you missed out. I kind of like it, but its not Lego's best effort.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]