Colossal Castle Contest II

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

forester3291 wrote: I also noticed that Mr. Shiny said that he had a large hideout MOC. I thought the rules said the MOC had to be on a 16x32 baseplate. The reason I am asking is because I am entering with a 16x32. I'm not trying to complain I just wondered if we could have the hideout on a 32x32 since it sounded like Mr. Shiny has a large MOC. Thouhg if we're only alowd it on a 16x32 I will stil be satisfied becuase I don't have many bricks.
My MOC is 16x32; I would have liked to make it bigger but the rules are the rules :) And like you, I find that my brick supply is never enough. So I'm happy with the size restriction; if there had been no restriction I probably wouldn't have bothered to create it. However, I find that the size and complexity of the MOC makes it very hard to capture all the detail. Imagine you had to photograph a single room (with 4 walls) with just one photo. You can't capture all the detail; and in a contest where creativity and detail win the day, capturing that detail is important. You could maybe caputre the detail with two photos; we're allowed three photos but I'd really like 6 since then I could get all the angles I need.

Since we're also limited to 800x600 and composites only involving motion, then I feel that it's rather restrictive. I can understand the 800x600 rule, though I disagree with it. Anyway, at least I'm not alone in this: everyone has to play by the rules, so all the hideout mocs will be subject to the three-photo rule, which means nobody has an advantage from that regard.

Anyway, good luck to everyone and happy building.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Outpost/Hideout category question:

You are limited to a 16x32 baseplate. Can that 16x32 area be made up of smaller baseplates that open on hinges?

If so, do those smaller baseplates have to be arranged in a 16x32 rectangle? For example, if I use a 16x16 and 2 8x16 baseplates, do I have to make a 16x32 rectangle out of it, or can I arrange them in any shape I want? (Like an "L" shape, or maybe an 8x64 area)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Outpost/Hideout category question:

You are limited to a 16x32 baseplate. Can that 16x32 area be made up of smaller baseplates that open on hinges?

If so, do those smaller baseplates have to be arranged in a 16x32 rectangle? For example, if I use a 16x16 and 2 8x16 baseplates, do I have to make a 16x32 rectangle out of it, or can I arrange them in any shape I want? (Like an "L" shape, or maybe an 8x64 area)
Good questions. First, the baseplate must be a square or rectangle shape no larger than 16x32 studs. It could be 16x16 for example. Yes it can hinge open to reveal the interior. This is actually recommended because it should be somewhat camouflaged or be a hideout.

It would be easily defendable but not easily noticed. So big forestmen flags to show the Crusaders where you are would not be recommended ;)

You should not make odd baseplate shapes like L's in your creations "closed" position. By doing this you are basically enlarging your creation footprint by implying a void in the empty corner of the L. (Sorry about the complicated rhetoric by me).

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Ben,

Just out of curiosity who donated that camoflauged outpost.

What a generous soul!

And thanks to all those who donated prizes to make this contest intersting!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Can I do this?

Have a folder with my MOC. In that folder have 20 pics, and a sub-folder named Contest pics. And then in that folder have the 3 I choose to submit?
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Sir Terrance wrote:Can I do this?

Have a folder with my MOC. In that folder have 20 pics, and a sub-folder named Contest pics. And then in that folder have the 3 I choose to submit?
Yes you can. This is exactly what I recommend people do if they wish to share more photos with their friends (which I assume, we'd all like to do ;)).

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Dragon Master wrote:Ben,

What a generous soul!

DM
All of the Classic sets were donated by the same person, who has asked to keep that fact on the down-low. Lets just say that it is an Admin here and that he ROCKS!

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

Dragon Master wrote:Ben,

What a generous soul!

DM
God bless that person. For the wonderful donations. I have a question about donating lego, how do we do this. Lets say I wanted to give some for next years contest. :wink:

Well, I have the 'medieval life' entree all done...many more to go

DAn
Jobiwan7
Gong Farmer

Post by Jobiwan7 »

This is strange, is there not supposed to be a link to "entries" or "submit an entry?" There isn't one for me.
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Jobiwan7 wrote:This is strange, is there not supposed to be a link to "entries" or "submit an entry?" There isn't one for me.
Yeah, no link for me. Yet it seems like some other people have already submitted, judging by the posts to this thread... does anyone have a link? I bet they're keeping it a secret so that there'll be fewer entries, and more chance for their own creations :)
The Brick Rat
Laborer

Post by The Brick Rat »

I have a few questions:

1)Just how flexible is the Wagons and Carts category?
Would a carriage for the Nobility or a war chariot or even a sleigh be acceptable? Or are you looking specifically for blue collar 'workaday' wagons and carts?

2)I also need a little clarification in the two figure customizing categories. As I read it you can either customize your figure from Minifigs or build them out of brick elements. But one of the suggested ideas in the Fantastical/Mythic category is a dragon. Should'nt a dragon be submitted in the Beasts category? And am I correct in believing that a brick based customized figure should be 'Humanoid' in appearance?

3)Brickshelf seems to be the preferred host for contest pics. But could I put my 3 pic contest entries on MOCpages (which would have a link to a Brickshelf folder containing more than three pics)?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hi!

Can't access the "submit an entry" page. Is this an accident, or did the admins just simply not get around to it?

Thanks in advance!

D-man
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Jobiwan7 wrote:This is strange, is there not supposed to be a link to "entries" or "submit an entry?" There isn't one for me.
We've created a new php page for recording contest entries, however, we're having a slight problem getting the correct page to get to the right place. Anyhow, we will post when it is up and ready (I'm guessing later today or tomorrow).

Don't worry, you will have the ability to submit your contest entry - just give us a wee bit to get it ready. ;)

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

The Brick Rat wrote: 1)Just how flexible is the Wagons and Carts category?
Would a carriage for the Nobility or a war chariot or even a sleigh be acceptable? Or are you looking specifically for blue collar 'workaday' wagons and carts?
Very flexible. A Carriage, a war chariot, and even a sleigh would be acceptable.
2)I also need a little clarification in the two figure customizing categories. As I read it you can either customize your figure from Minifigs or build them out of brick elements. But one of the suggested ideas in the Fantastical/Mythic category is a dragon. Should'nt a dragon be submitted in the Beasts category? And am I correct in believing that a brick based customized figure should be 'Humanoid' in appearance?
OOPS! You are correct sir! A Dragon could count for the Fantasy Customization category if it was a very small, humanoid dragon ;) However, I'll see that we get that changed in a jiffy!
3)Brickshelf seems to be the preferred host for contest pics. But could I put my 3 pic contest entries on MOCpages (which would have a link to a Brickshelf folder containing more than three pics)?
Hmm.. This seems like it would be okay to do. I don't have a problem with it.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Mursk
Villein

Post by Mursk »

How come the "Submit an Entry" button doesn't work for me? it has no link to it.