Colossal Castle Contest II

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I'm gonna ask for Ben to weigh in on this, since the Yellow category is his brain child. I'll reserve the final judgement to him, but I'm gonna guess he's gonna say no as well.
Lenny is correct. Castle accessories should be made around the time of the yellow castle. So grill helms (1984) would be ok but new visor helms (1990) would not be ok. Those helmets aren't appropriate for the older style as they are much larger compared to the size of older helmets.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I was wondering if I would be alowed to enter and Orcish Ship in the Ship catagory. If not that's fine.

Thanks in advance!
Space rocks.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

forester3291 wrote:I was wondering if I would be alowed to enter and Orcish Ship in the Ship catagory. If not that's fine.
Is it a ship? Is it medieval? Why do you think you wouldn't be able to? I'm thinking the answer is yes, but as I have said before - unless you post a link to pictures, I can't make a positive determination.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Glencaer wrote:
forester3291 wrote:I was wondering if I would be alowed to enter and Orcish Ship in the Ship catagory. If not that's fine.
Is it a ship? Is it medieval? Why do you think you wouldn't be able to? I'm thinking the answer is yes, but as I have said before - unless you post a link to pictures, I can't make a positive determination.

-Lenny

It's a ship. Bit since Orcs are a Fantasy creture I wasn't too sure how the Medeival would sound. And I didn't take pics yet because I haven't started to build the MOC yet. I just wanted to know if an Orcish ship was alowed. Orcs are technically not "Medeival" creatures. But the Ship itself can be if you know what I mean.

I'm assuming it will count so I will build it. Thanks for your help Lenny!
Space rocks.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

This is a question about the carriage part of the contest.

Will outside things like buildings, scenery, and figs that are not in the carriage count towads the playability?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This is a question about the carriage part of the contest.

Will outside things like buildings, scenery, and figs that are not in the carriage count towads the playability?
No. Outside scenery of vehicles, siege weapons, ships, etc will not help and should not be made. Scenery may help certain categories if done well such as Outlaw Fortress.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Dear Kindly Admins, :)

I just had an idea. Feel free to ignore it if you so choose. I was wondering if you had thought about using a custom title as a prize in the CCCs. Like for the Master Builder award. It would be free to give out and I bet it would be a good motivator. Could be as plain as "Master Builder 1999" (Date is an example). Or something more medieval such as "Court Architect 1999". Seems like the date would be important, that way the winners could keep their titles permanently. What do you think? Is this out of line?

Thanks,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Interesting idea Josh, but then you'd have that title forever? What if you won another prize next year?

We are looking into runner's up prizes that are less than the grand prize for each category for the people who came #2, #3, etc

Thanks for the idea!!

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Hmm...I hadn't thought of that. So maybe the prize titles shouldn't be permanent. They could be like a trophy that you only have for a year. Just thinking out loud. Oh, I was also going to say that it wasn't my idea. It was actually Troy's. This is from one of his posts on Feb 14, 2003
Troy wrote: More special ranks will be coming, and these will be dealt out as the Admins see fit. Most likely limited to contests winners and such.

Credit where credit is due and all that! :)

Runner up prizes are a good idea. Have to be careful though. So that the runner up doesn't get something the winner might have wanted and can't have.

Take care,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Another question about the footprint of the bandit fortress category:

Is it okay for portions of the MOC to stick out past the edge of the baseplate?

Please note that most Forestmen sets do have branches hanging out past the edge of the baseplate.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Another question about the footprint of the bandit fortress category:

Is it okay for portions of the MOC to stick out past the edge of the baseplate?

Please note that most Forestmen sets do have branches hanging out past the edge of the baseplate.
Yes, branches and leaves may hang over slightly. A few studs over are ok but not too many.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I've been having Major problems with my digital camera, and i was wondering if i might be able to have a one-day grace period to try and get it up and running...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I've been having Major problems with my digital camera, and i was wondering if i might be able to have a one-day grace period to try and get it up and running...
I dont think this would be fair to all the other people submitting entries. The contest has been going on for 2 months which should have been plenty of time. The entry page will be taken down at midnight eastern time tonight. I hope you can get your entries in by then.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
ACPin
Reeve

Post by ACPin »

I thought the winners were supposed to be announced on Jan 16th? Has the judging been at least completed? I'd like to add more pics to the folders of my mocs and I've been waiting for the contest to be completed to be able to do it.

AC
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

ACPin wrote:I thought the winners were supposed to be announced on Jan 16th? Has the judging been at least completed? I'd like to add more pics to the folders of my mocs and I've been waiting for the contest to be completed to be able to do it.

AC

I think, do to the abundance of entries, that the grading will not be done till the end of the month. I think that the participants doubled the amount of entries from the first Colossal Contest. THerefore, the Admins were a bit off as to when they would be done grading. It sounds like it is a long and tedious process.

If I'm wrong, and Admin may corect me in my foolishness.
Space rocks.