The KK2 Storyline

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

The KK2 Storyline

Post by Sir Kohran »

I've noticed a lot of people either dissing and/or insulting KK2 or simply not understanding it. They are entitiled to their own opinions, of course, but I'd just like to set some of the KK2 facts straight here. So I present...KK2!

The Citadel

Before the Kingdom of Morcia existed, this fortress was built to house a sacred order of knights - the Knights of the Citadel. The members of this order were the first knights and lived only to improve their skills and better themselves. They lived apart from the rest of the world, uninterested in the lives of others.

During the time of the Knights of the Citadel, a Great Sorcerer from another dimension took control of most of the known world. In his struggle for total power, he changed the landscape of the world and mutated the wildlife, creating the strange creatures that now roam the Moorlands of Morcia.

Once the world was his, he turned his attention upon the Citadel – and at last, the Knights were drawn into the conflict.

The battle between the Great Sorcerer and the Knights of the Citadel took place in the Lost Kingdom and lasted decades. The leader of these Knights – First Knight Orlan – created a great shield with which to defeat their enemy. Into this shield he channelled all their power; he called it the Shield of Ages.

Orlan went on to found the land of Morcia and became its first King. The Kingdom of Morcia would be a place safe from evil and darkness. Orlan founded the knights to ensure that Morcia remained safe and just.

He also created the Code of Honour – a code that demands that a knight’s responsibility is not only to himself but to his land and its people.

After the battle, the fragments of the Magical Shield of Ages lay scattered around The Lost Kingdom. They were still items of great power that could be used for good or evil, so King Orlan hid the larger fragments behind quests that would be impossible to all but the greatest and most honourable of Knights to surpass.

Orlan then took the Heart of the Shield (the most powerful and precious fragment) home. He hid the Heart within his own Citadel behind four great challenges.

To further protect the Heart, Orlan also added one final obstacle…the Guardian of the Citadel.

The Guardian only has one purpose, to protect the Heart, and for that end alone he has been granted incredible power. As long as he stands within the Citadel, he is unbeatable.

As legend has it, four challenges block the path to the Heart of the Magical Shield. King Orlan created the challenges to prevent anyone but the most worthy of knights reaching the Heart. It is unknown whether anyone has ever completed the challenges before.

The challenges are based on the four disciplines of Wisdom, Agility, Strength and Speed. They are also tests of honour – only a team of knights working together can beat all of the challenges.

The Rise of King Mallakee

Mallakee was the most powerful Knight of his time and he defeated all contestants at the Grand Tournament. But even though he was strong enough to win the Grand Tournament and take the throne, Mallakee was not clever enough to truly understand the Code of Honour and the responsibilities of a King.

Other Knights offered him advice; they tried to share their wisdom and teach him how to be a better King, but Mallakee wouldn’t listen. He thought he was better than all of them because he had beaten them in the Arena.

He forgot about his oath to protect the people of Morcia and sent his Knights out on errands to find him magical treasure, leaving the Kingdom open to attack. He stored all his newfound secrets within the Book of Morcia.

At first the Knights followed Mallakee’s commands, but when their Kingdom began to fall apart and they saw the damage Mallakee was doing, they asked him to step down from the throne. Mallakee refused. The Knights begged him to enter the Arena and allow them to settle their problems there. Again, Mallakee refused.

And so, left without any other course of action, the Knights stepped outside the Code and stood against their King.

Other Knights sided with Mallakee – not because they believed he was a good King, but because the Code demanded they stand by him.

And so Morcia fell into civil war. The Knights fought against each other and the peace Orlan had worked so hard to create fell into chaos.

Eventually the war came to an end. No one knows for sure what happened to Mallakee. Some say that when he saw the damage the war had done to his Kingdom he felt so ashamed that he left Morcia never to return. Others say he fled once he realised he was going to lose the war and his throne.

Afterward, Knights from both sides were judged on their behaviour in the conflict and many were banished from the Kingdom.

Since then the Code has been changed to stop such a tragedy from ever happening again.

The Knights and people of Morcia choose to forget about those dark days. However, in the King’s chambers a portrait of King Mallakee hangs on the wall as a reminder, to ensure that no future King ever forgets what can happen if he turns his back on his people. And to this day, hidden within the Book of Morcia, are all the secrets that the power-hungry Mallakee collected – all waiting to be discovered and misused.

The Mathias Years

In the last Grand Tournament of more recent times, King Mathias competed against Vladek in the head-to-head competition that decided the throne. Everyone expected Vladek to win; it was one of the great upsets of Morcian Tournament history.

Since that day many have suggested that Mathias won simply because of the strength of his belief in the Code. Whatever the reason for his victory, Mathias has proved to be one of Morcia’s greatest kings.

After the Tournament, Vladek became King Mathias’s advisor. It is traditional for the runner-up to be offered a position of this kind and because of Vladek’s great skills, Mathias was glad he accepted. He also was glad because he did not fully trust Vladek, and now he could keep his eye on him!

The King’s most valuable possession is the Book of Morcia – a magical book that has been handed down from king to king. It records the history of Morcia and holds so much other information that no one could ever learn all its secrets. The book holds a mighty source of power that can be summoned for good or evil.

During his exile, the Great Sorcerer has kept some contact with the Kingdom of Morcia. He speaks in dreams to Vladek, to his subconscious, encouraging his desire for power and his anger at losing the throne to Mathias.

With the Book of Morcia in Vladek’s possession, the Great Sorcerer is able to communicate directly with him. More importantly, Vladek can also use the mighty power of the book to protect himself both outside and within the Tournament Arena.

Under the rule of of the wise King Mathias, the people of Morcia have been happy for many years. But before King Mathias can announce this happy news, he vanishes without a trace!

But as time passes, Vladek's true nature becomes clear. He rules Morcia with an iron fist, locking up anyone he does not trust.

Four of the bravest Knights pledge to find the King, wherever he might be. Danju from the Province of Alendan, known throughout the Kingdom for his vast experience and great wisdom. Santis from the Province of Orkosan, whose incredible strength is unmatched in all of Morcia. Rascus from the Province of Banteras, a joker whose endless supply of funny gags keeps the others entertained on their quest. And Jayko from the Province of Talonjay, a young Rookie Knight eager to prove his courage and show off his skills. United, can the Knights find the King and stop Vladek in time?

I know it kinda cuts of at the end, but hopefully it will help.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ja_izzle
Apprentice

Post by Ja_izzle »

I just wanted to say that this was VERY helpful. I already know most of the storyline, but this kept me entertained nonetheless... Thanks for posting this.

Jason
Beware Avatre, Fire of the Dawn, for she swoops like golden fury from above.......

[url=http://www.neahkahnie.k12.or.us/~jasonw/homepage.htm][img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blackjack ... rise12.jpg[/img][/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Ja_izzle wrote:I just wanted to say that this was VERY helpful. I already know most of the storyline, but this kept me entertained nonetheless... Thanks for posting this.

Jason

No problem at all. I'm glad you liked it.
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

Yeah there is a good story with KK2, most don't like it cause its too good vs evil, but thats really how everything is broken down more or less.

So yeah its in its simpliest form ,cause its for kids after all. We can take it further though and not have to adhere to what they say precisely.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Thanks for posting this! It was really interesting to read, and it does help me understand the storyline better.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Commander Redbeard wrote:Thanks for posting this! It was really interesting to read, and it does help me understand the storyline better.
Thanks!
Yeah there is a good story with KK2, most don't like it cause its too good vs evil, but thats really how everything is broken down more or less.

So yeah its in its simpliest form ,cause its for kids after all. We can take it further though and not have to adhere to what they say precisely.
It's not always just good vs evil. Take a look at the King Mallakee story. And besides, that was a very simply written view of the story.
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Thanks for the write-up. You put a lot of effort into it. :)

However, I think the main problem most people have with KK2 (myself included) is the multicoloured knights. That might work well for the action-figure line (I.E. The Castleonicals*), but it looks rather ugly and out of place among normal castle minifigs. Also, I think the overpricing and massive pieces are another point of contention. Personally, I have not bought a KK2 set yet, instead spending LEGO money on gathering an army of 100 Dwarves. I simply find it much better value to do so. (Bless the Bulk Bricklink) :mrgreen:

* Nothing against Bionicle or the Castle Jumbo Guys. I can see why some find them quite cool. Just not my passion.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Thanks for posting this. It really helped me because I've never taken the time to read the whole story. So thanks for breaking it all down for us.

Dave
The Tennis Ball Kid
Laborer

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Post by The Tennis Ball Kid »

SKM from BZPower wrote:I've noticed a lot of people either dissing and/or insulting KK2 or simply not understanding it. They are entitiled to their own opinions, of course, but I'd just like to set some of the KK2 facts straight here. So I present...KK2! Hopefully it will help.
:? I don't get it. Do you think people don't like it because of the story? I don't like the story, but that's not hardly why I'm not a "fan" of KK2. I don't think the sets are up to par for TLC; I couldn't care less about the story.

Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand, if you think the reason people were up-in-arms was because they found the story lacking.

TTBK
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Sounds cool, did you make this up somewhat or is it all TLC's story. Either way it has helped me understand kk2 a bit more.

You see for me kk2 isn't bad because the story, but the colors. You can change most of'em though soo kk2 isn't THAT bad. Infact, I'm looking forward to the 2005 Minifig scale sets.

Anyways...thanks for posting the story.
Space rocks.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Well, as has been said, I dont care about the story. I am only posting this because I rather know that this post is partially directly addressing me. Well, reading though your post, I am not particularly impressed. TLC's objective for it is obvious enough: impress young children with a background vaguely resembling lotr, and simplify it so they can understand it, but it still seems "cool" to them. Watered-down fantasy, if you will. Such a story hardly interests me, therefore, and TLC does not mean for it to. If I want a story, I read a book that is on my age level or (much more likely) way above it. If the story corrupts the sets, however, you can hardly expect me to be in favor of it. As many of our younger members fail to realize, perhaps due to TLC's ingeniously disguised advertising, LEGO is about plastic bricks, not set in stone storylines. Read a book.

BTW, shouldn't this be in stories?
pwnage
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

BTW, shouldn't this be in stories?
Technically it should be and I will move it there. It is an official storyline which influences set design and characters but it is still a story.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Post by Sir Kohran »

I don't get it. Do you think people don't like it because of the story? I don't like the story, but that's not hardly why I'm not a "fan" of KK2. I don't think the sets are up to par for TLC; I couldn't care less about the story.

Perhaps it's you who doesn't understand, if you think the reason people were up-in-arms was because they found the story lacking.

How can you have nerve to start posting that I don't understand? I don't care if you don't like the sets, but when you start insulting me about how I've tried to help with getting the story clear to the people here, that annoys me. I never said that people hated the story. I'm sorry if my words at the top souded like that, but I posted it to explain the story to people that hate the sets, just to tell them that there is a lot more to KK2 than 'Jelly Bean Knights' and 'Banana peeled swords'. So now lay off.

Sounds cool, did you make this up somewhat or is it all TLC's story. Either way it has helped me understand kk2 a bit more.

You see for me kk2 isn't bad because the story, but the colors. You can change most of'em though soo kk2 isn't THAT bad. Infact, I'm looking forward to the 2005 Minifig scale sets.

Anyways...thanks for posting the story.
No, I didn't make this up; I compiled information from Lego. And thanks for the compliment!

Well, as has been said, I dont care about the story. I am only posting this because I rather know that this post is partially directly addressing me. Well, reading though your post, I am not particularly impressed. TLC's objective for it is obvious enough: impress young children with a background vaguely resembling lotr, and simplify it so they can understand it, but it still seems "cool" to them. Watered-down fantasy, if you will. Such a story hardly interests me, therefore, and TLC does not mean for it to. If I want a story, I read a book that is on my age level or (much more likely) way above it. If the story corrupts the sets, however, you can hardly expect me to be in favor of it. As many of our younger members fail to realize, perhaps due to TLC's ingeniously disguised advertising, LEGO is about plastic bricks, not set in stone storylines. Read a book.
*sigh* From what you and the guy above the next have said, I'm starting to wish I hadn't posted this at all. I'm not trying to impress you, merely trying to show people on here some of ther more elusive storyline facts. Whether you care doesn't really matter to me. And if you don't like the story, then make your own up for goodness sake! This is Lego! Just Imagine! Play Well!

-A highly annoyed SKM

P.S: 'Emperor' James, I do read books, if you're trying to insult my intelligence too. :x
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Right, I'm no admin or mod, but let us just cool down for a moment. Everyone, please think for a few minutes before you post, and don't react on anger. Don't get into a flame war. It's against the spirit of the brick. :)
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Devari wrote:Right, I'm no admin or mod, but let us just cool down for a moment. Everyone, please think for a few minutes before you post, and don't react on anger. Don't get into a flame war. It's against the spirit of the brick. :)
I'm sorry if I souded aggresive, but I'm annoyed that after the effort I put in to make this, some people just come and insult me.