Harry Parter

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Harry Parter

Post by SavaTheAggie »

While it is arguable whether or not the Harry Potter line could be considered as part of the LEGO Castle line, it is certainly hard to argue against it being a source of great parts.

So what parts for Castle do you find were important results of the Harry Potter line? How about other themes, like Star Wars, Pirates, etc.? Any important Castle parts in them?

Feel free reply! This post will be added to an upcoming article on where to find great Castle Parts out of non-castle sets.

--Anthony
The Dragon Master

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by The Dragon Master »

Harry Potter is not Castle! It never will be. I don't even like the parts (except for the capes and that Gyrphindor Knight {not the sheild})!!!! The only sets I buy, I strip for parts. Castle is Castle :twisted: !

LEGO! Everyone wants Castle! Cut the Harry Potter Line! Make new Castle line. This is the wishes of all your fans. Especially the older ones!

I love the picture, it is so cool. I was thinking someone should make a picture about Majisto going at it with Dumblledor.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Harry "Parter" to me is a good thing for castle.

First, it stopped the downward spiral of Royal Knights and Knights Kingdom.

What parts of the Harry Potter line do I like?

1. their Doors. HP Doors are my favorite doors! Before HP, there was the double, rounded top doors, and the Square Blue/Black doors. HP doors look like yer typical medieval cottage doors, and thus are perfect for castle building!!

2. Hp Goblins - make the best, mean looking Orcs.

3. (with SW) - STUBBIES(tm) - Goblins and Ewoks helped supply us with goblin and dwarf feet!

4. Dumbledore's Grey Beard, and Hair piece. Always good in the development of newer/better characters with new/different pieces.

5. TURBANS! first appear as Professor Quirrel's Hat - and ushered in the Orient Expedition

6. Keys - always great

7. Made brooms a common place piece.

8. Owls, and other animals

9. Brown Lattice window panes

10. Made the round castle windows much more common

11. Made staffs (brown magic wands) much more common

12. Magical animals, like tha Basilesk and Norbert the baby dragon

aside, being the main supply of arches and grey bricks since the fall of castle.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I think that Harry Potter is a wonderful source of castle parts. Large quantities of tan, dark gray, and light gray are available. Many of the accessories are reusable as well. The theme does rely on large premade pieces which I dislike.

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Castle Parts...

Post by rogue27 »

Harry Potter obviously contains a good deal of usable parts for Castle creations. However, that doesn't mean the Harry Potter line is good for Castle.

If Harry Potter was not around, we would probably have a real castle line right now, and a real castle line would obviously be better for parts than the Harry Potter line. I mean, how can a Castle creation benefit from two dozen Gryphondor sweaters?

There are too many large molded pieces and useless minifigs in the Harry Potter line. However, taking a break from the progressively worse Castle releases of the last 10 years may have been good so they can go back to the drawing board. At any rate, I've got enough wands, oversized molded parts, and Harry Potter figures to last a lifetime. We need some real castle again.

BTW, I love that picture...
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

On Harry Potter, I'd basically agree with everything that Lenny said. Add to that:
capes in multiple colors
Dobby (he's Gollum in my Tolkien project)
the troll
new hair pieces (not just for castle, but generally useful)
Hagrid's hair is great for dwarfs (along with the stubbies)
a few shields (Gryfindor, two snake designs), though it's imporssible to get these in usable numbers
a few of the torsos (Dumbledore, McGonnagal, Dobby, Hermione's blue sweater)

It is disappointing that the torsos are generally useless. Much better for castle torsos is the SW line. Looking at this page:
http://www.minimundo.de/inhalt/figuren/ ... ars456.htm
There are good torsos on the Emperor, emperor's guard, both Leias, three of the four Luke torsos, skiff Han (the one without the vest), and Bib Fortuna. I've also seen Leah Cardaci use C3PO's torso used as a Greek breastplate:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=172074
and the Gamorrean Guard (with a paint job) makes a good fantasy monster.
From episode 1:
http://www.minimundo.de/inhalt/figuren/ ... rWars1.htm
You have Darth Maul (repeat of the Emperor), Jar Jar, Anakin, and Qui Gon.
Finally from episode 2:
http://www.minimundo.de/inhalt/figuren/ ... rWars2.htm
there is Obi-Wan, Anakin, random Jedi guy, young Boba, and Dooku. I've also seen Brendan Smith use the Geonosian torso as a breastplate:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_wi ... 20_14.html
Of course stubbies from this and HP lines are good for hobbits, dwarves, other fantasy races.
Yoda's sculpted head would be useful, but to me it's just way to recognizable as Yoda, so it's use as a fantasy creature is distracting to me.

Bruce
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Bah to Harry Potter.

If it were not for this line we would have real castle sets and just think of the possibilities for parts that have been missed thanks to this juniorized line. That being said, I have purchased many many of these sets in order to obtain all the great pieces. I always wait for sales and clearances though. I bought the Dragon Fortress the day it hit shelves though. That to me is the difference between Harry Potter and a real castle set. Only complaints about the Dragon Fortress, not enough guards and that raised baseplate would have been much better as a bunch of those sloped ninja walls.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.