Weekly Set Review: Jousting Knights

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Jousting Knights

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6021 Jousting Knights.

Jousting Knights, released in 1984, was the second LEGO castle joust set. It has two knights on horseback armed with swords, multiple lances, triangular shields and round shields.

Last edited by architect on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

I thinks this is a nice old little set. Two knights equiped with swords and shields of their factions.Also those rare radar dish like shields are included. And lastly you get 4 joust/javelins or whatever.

I'll give it a 4.5/5 because there's nothing as a building.
:lol:
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

This is a basic set! I guess when it came out it was one of the first you got. It's small and cheap and even kids could collect their allounces to buy it.
It has got style, an aura if you will, from the great days!

Hey, when will we see the Guarded inn in the review?

joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Pretty neat little set. Not to much, but a really good army builder. I mean, two horses! And round shields! The only other thing you could ask for in an army builder would be euro armor.

9.5/10

D-Man
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Great set for building armys! Two horses, two cool guys, four shields, four lances, and no useless pieces (if there is such a thing). A very good set. 10/10!

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

ok I never really quite understood that set really, everything seems to be mixed up, flags, torsos, shields, helmets, all misplaced really.

It's really some kind of a joust set (and on the same time a minifig set), got 2 round shields which is great of course and etc lances if you need them.
It was however a good set when it came out, no doubt it and the white saddle is somewhat rare.

Nontheless for 1984 it was a good set and it's a good set if you need more knights.

Final score: 8/10.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Back when LEGO admitted that figs had an appeal all their own and didn't burden then with some funky little construction. It's nice in retrospect that the trash can lid round shields (not radar dish) were included. A big plus for having two equestrian figures. On the minus side the figs are both from one of the least inspired torsos. No armor piece. I'm not fond of the grilled helmet, but without the separate armor piece it makes a better match that the later visored helm. And who selected the colors? Red torso, yellow rimmed Black Falcon shield, white saddle, blue flag and plume? The other fig is a little better color coordinated, thankfully. I'll give it an 8 out of 10, mostly but that it more for the concept than the overall execution.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This set never really did anything for me... I never could even see the point until I realized that the army builders loved it. ;-)

I dunno... two dudes on horses... seems a little weak... not bad or anything, but kinda like a cheap ploy to make a few extra bucks. :-P

That said, I'd still buy one... so I guess the ploy would work, but it just seems like a bit silly... maybe if there were two apprentices too... that would be sweet.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Allthough this set doesn't do anything for me now, it was a decent small set when it was first released. In 1984, these guys were new, so if you couldn't afford one of the larger sets (ie 6080), this was a great way to get a few knights at the right price.

Personally, I never particularly liked the design of the 1984-1990 knight torso. Except for the round shields and the white saddle, none of these pieces is even remotely difficult to find. And even then, those pieces aren't exactly exceptional.

Still, for nostalgia:

6.5/10
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Different from what Joel assumed this set was actually the last of the initial 1984-releases that I got. I was lucky to get it before it was sold out so my Castle collection was complete in 1986.

Like others already said the colours of the knights are somewhat weird. Red for a Black Falcon? Well. On the other hand it only was the first year of the new Castle line and they were possibly still experimenting.

Back then I didn't miss any €-armour nor visored helmets because they weren't even invented yet.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

What a cool little set. It's a nice army builder for knights (either 6103 or 6102 had any knights). Like others have said the coloring on the Black Falcon knight is a little weird but I can live with it. I love the round shields, Lego should have used more of these. The holder for the round shields and second set of lances is really the odd thing about this set. This set really had some opportunities for some new weapons, but that's looking back 20 years.
howie
Serf

Post by howie »

Nice little set. not much to say about it except that it's good for buildin' up armies since it comes with weapons and stuff. 9/10 because of the great accessories. (and i just love them round sheilds!)
howie-
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I give it a 10 because there are really horses and not things on wheels.
LOL! :lol:

That was LOW... but really funny... I'm still chuckling...

ahh... poor KK2 - the comparisons continue!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

I will buy 10 boxes straigh if i see them...enough said