Italian Gothic War Armor

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Master Blobicus
Apprentice

Italian Gothic War Armor

Post by Master Blobicus »

I need some help with armour I need to make this

http://store1.yimg.com/I/ssrglobal2_1813_151197

Its just bascally plate armour. Can any one help me with some tips?
could you tell me before you go back in time, I was talking to a robe on the coat rack for 20 minuets before I releized you left!
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

What exactly do you want to make from that harness?

With Lego figs, you're limited to a helmet/breastplate...
and maybe some arm coverings. Leg armor can be done,
but you have to be very careful not to have it interfere
with a saddle. Still, it can be made.

I'm currently working on a full harness custom, myself.
I'll see what I can come up with that might help you.
Master Blobicus
Apprentice

Post by Master Blobicus »

Thanks BM
could you tell me before you go back in time, I was talking to a robe on the coat rack for 20 minuets before I releized you left!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I've been considering this kind of thing, which has been put on hold since I have been busy of late, alas.

Looking at this particular armor (which looks post-1500 and more Renaissance than Medieval, but that's at a guess), what I would do is probably work from a standard "euro-armor" and attach the pauldrons (shoulder pieces) and tassets (dangley thigh guards) to that. It could be done with sculpey, but I've been thinking more along the lines of some sheet material that could be cut and bent into the right form (it starts becoming more effort than it's worth, but it's nice to have a challenge and just do it for the heck of it). I was considering sheet copper (softer and easier to form than brass). Cut to shape with a jeweler's saw and dished out with a ballpeen hammer. Drilled and pinned for attachment (I use a hand-cranked drill for plastic).

Now, I know I'm babbling about tools that most people don't have (I took a jewelry course in college, which is why I have these kind of funky tools laying about). I'm talking about an approach that hasn't (to my knowledge) been used yet. Craft for craft's sake, I suppose.

The helmet. Well, it's an ugly helmet (imnsho). If you are determined to do it, I'd probably work from one of the new KK2 visors and drill and sand and maybe add on so that you have a movable visor on a standard helmet.

Legs are tough to mess with because of it interfering with mounting the fig on a horse. Decals or hand-painting would be the safe way to go. I think all the arms need if they have a pauldron covering the shoulders is something that it basically the extended glove that covers the forearm. Design printed on paper and rolled around the arm. It just seems too small and fine to hammer and saw easily.

Probably all more horribly involved than just about anyone in their right mind is prepared to do. 8)

I haven't wanted to kluge Red Bean's pauldrons (see my current avatar - I'm sure to change it sooner or later, though) to LEGO armor, but it's a consideration.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Hmm, I'm taking a metals/jewlers class in college right now. I've been thinking about copper armor also. Namely because copper is cheaper than most metals and softer (more forgiving when you have a little oopsies)

The only thing I don't like about copper is its copper and not chrome.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Speaking of hammered copper and such...

Check out this site for 12" figures.
http://www.jimbobwan.com/

*adult site, but the guy does warn you of where
the adult stuff is. Does not apply to the stuff
I'm referring to.

At the top of the page click "medieval"(duh), and
scroll down towards the bottom until you see
"medievalesque". Start looking there.

Stunning workmanship, for 12" of course.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

lil Jon wrote:Hmm, I'm taking a metals/jewlers class in college right now. I've been thinking about copper armor also. Namely because copper is cheaper than most metals and softer (more forgiving when you have a little oopsies)

The only thing I don't like about copper is its copper and not chrome.

Paint. Or use (omigosh) silver. But yeah, I thought of copper because it is cheap and soft.

Blasterman: Quite an interesting site, though you still have to go through one bare breast if you click on your link and then the medieval link. Just a warning for the underage.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]