Weekly Set Review: LEGO Chess Promotional Set

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: LEGO Chess Promotional Set

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 2586 LEGO Chess Promotional Set.

LEGO Chess Promotional Set was released in 1998 as part of the CD chess game. This set is also known as "The Crazy LEGO King". The King sits on a throne complete with his scepter. Reportedly this set was also available separately from the Chess Game.

Last edited by architect on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I think this set is cool. It has a cool torso, nice face, and some nice pieces in the throne. SO i'll give it a 8/10 because it's a smaller set and it doesn;t have alot of figs, though if it's price was great I would have bought some if I even knew aobut them.
Space rocks.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hmm...

Never noticed this one. I guess it's a cheap way to get a king and his throne!
And it's great for that!

Joel
I'm back, and so is Castle!
fcarcanague
Laborer

Post by fcarcanague »

This is not a cheap set if you didn't get it with the Lego Chess. I paid $14 for mine a few years ago and still haven't opened it (and don't plan to either). Overal it is a nice selection of parts w/a very nice SNOT throne. 9/10

Fred
Please visit updates once in a while
http://www.carcanague.com/
Need more Spare Parts [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Carcanague]Spare Bricks 4 You[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Re: Weekly Set Review: LEGO Chess Promotional Set

Post by Norro »

I was pleased with this set, (and lego chess). The throne is OK but the fig is very nice, especially the red arm combination only available in this set.

God Bless,

Nathan
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I for one like this. I would love to see a generic king like this in a Castle Line.
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

Didn't know about this set until I came out of my dark ages a year ago, so I newer bought it.

Well playability with this set seems limited with one minifig and a throne... The minifig torso, the red curved pieces and the silver crystal are nice pieces. So, if you needed some of the pieces it was probably a nice set, for other purposes (except actually playing chess with it) I think it's useless.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I've always had a fond spot for this king, although I was never able to get him. Wish I had- he would have been the Crusader king (a faction I always felt the lack of a king in most strongly).

That said, there's nothing really spectacular about him. His throne is moderately simple. A couple of nice archs are the only real plus I see about. The fig himself is good- great shirt, great head. The crown is iffy, depending on how many you already own (which in most cases is too many). Playability is necessarily poor in a set with one fig and nothing else but a chair.

Parts: 5/10
Playability: 0.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 7.5/10
Design (contemporary): 7.5/10
Design (universal): 8/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall score: 6/10 (C)
Last edited by Formendacil on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This set is really small, but is useful. You get a good king and a cool throne.
8/10
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

Maybe its just me, I don't like the white pants. I know it goes with the little red/white theme, but eh. Aside from that nice little set, I never got.

7/10
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Bad throne and bad king = bad set. The only good thing is the torso (which you can print off the computer).
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

This was just a little token set to come with the
CD-Rom, and it serves it's purpous fine. A nice li'l fig, and if you could find them in any quantity it would be nice to buy a few. I saw him in my "Ultimate Lego Book"; but never in real life.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I was kinda annoyed that a useful torsos was in an obscure set, and wished that they would use it elsewhere - but without the useless crown.

Got my wish. :mrgreen:

Oh, the set. Well, I'm not too fond of kings being in small sets - how many kings do you need? It was a decent little set for what it was intended though. 7/10.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

I think this is a pretty lame set. It's a crappy throne design and there's a moron sitting on it. The only good thing is the torso, like many times said already.

Sir Drake
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Hehe, I even bought the whole chess game just in order to get this king. Luckily I found another copy of this set in Billund a few years ago when they threw out old sets for cheap. I like the set. It's nothing to write home about but simple yet elegant.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill