Viking Scans and Names

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

The Good:

The Midgard Serpent is totally awesome. I love that Longboat as well. The feel of a load of gruff guys with axes taking on a ton of monsters is quite a neat one too. And also just the fact that Lego is trying again with Castle is good anyway.

The Bad:

Whilst these sets look very good on their own, how will they fit in wit, say, the Black Falcons? All the weapons and helmets are different from what we've already got, so they'll look out of place with other Lego parts. I miss those smiling little faces with the simple helmets on them.

The Ugly:

The monsters are wwwaaayyyy too Bionicle-ish. And the Kraken's too small.
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

Hehe, do you really believe they will remove the Bionicle parts just because WE do not like them?
No of course not, but some of the bionicles look like they could use some improvement.
Why should they do that?
The Viking Fortress set is called, "7019 The Viking fortress against Fafner the dragon". Yet there is no "Dragon" in the set, it's just a giant type creature with a mace. Im guessing Lego will change the name to maybe "Fafner the Giant", instead of Dragon". I mean really, it looks absolutely nothing like a Dragon unless the Viking concept of a Dragon is completely different from what Im used to seeing.
Still, despite my complaints, I like these far more than I like KK2
For a comparison, the Vikings would be a Great Sword & KK2 a butter knife.
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
swordfish
Peasant

Post by swordfish »

These new viking sets look really cool. I really like the new helmets and weapons.

Set 7019
If you look at the fortress, there are tons of the brown wall panels, which is cool. There seems to be no shortage of weapons, with gray spears sticking out everywhere. Also there seems to be some kind of a door at the back, I'm not quite sure if it's new pieces or not.
I dont really like the monster, and I wonder why he's standing on the water. Has it got something to do with Norse legends? From what i can see, I really like the beards and the new chrome look of the weapons.

This is a really cool boat. I can see lots of minifigs, at least 7, which looks like a good a mount for a boat this size. There are also alot of the new shields which is cool

overall the vikings are really cool!

(Bye the way, im new (even though ive been looking at these forums for ages, I hadn't got to signing up yet)
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

How would they handle Black Falcons? Well... Black Falcons are different. So to answer your question. They don't fit in. Thats precisely the point. They're their own faction, but can interwork with the other factions, but they'll be Vikings. A viking shouldn't just slip in and look like all the others.

A viking will be the one laying seige to the black falcons and slaughtering them all in a berserker rage of death! Ahem... hehe I like the vikings so I don't really see any problems with anything. Even the Bionicle-like monsters are ok to me, simply because the one in the fortress set still looks pretty cool.

Besides to me the shear number of weapons in some of those sets (even if they're just spears) is mind-boggling to anything I've seen for a long while.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

lol, this reminds me of the Capital One commercials. The Viking hord swarming over all other Lego themes in their path. And then "What's in your wallet?" And then the AFOL opens his wallet, which is now empty from cleaning out the store of all the new Viking sets. :wink:

And Welcome, Swordfish.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Jacob C. wrote:For a comparison, the Vikings would be a Great Sword & KK2 a butter knife.
Ooooo, good one. That's a comment worthy of Churchill (as in, Winston, for you younger ones).

These new sets are great in that they have their own inherent story value, rather than the manufactured KK2 tale. I don't mean to say that the KK2 story is bad, only that the KK2 sets don't really stand alone without that particular KK2 story. The Viking sets seem to harken back to the 'classic' castle sets in as much as the story for the set is whatever comes out of your imagination.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'm getting my meaning across well, but I think I'll stop there before I get really confusing.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

SKM from BZPower wrote:Whilst these sets look very good on their own, how will they fit in wit, say, the Black Falcons? All the weapons and helmets are different from what we've already got, so they'll look out of place with other Lego parts. I miss those smiling little faces with the simple helmets on them.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing (and I also miss the simply smilies of yesteryear). Still, its hard to deny the appeal of this line, and despite the new look, I think that everyone will agree that these figures will work far better with our older knights than the KK2 figures ever could.

And allthough it has been said before, I must say it again: "those new beards look awsome!" I wonder if their made of rubber or plastic? Either way, I'm happy.
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

A viking will be the one laying seige to the black falcons and slaughtering them all in a berserker rage of death! Ahem... hehe I like the vikings so I don't really see any problems with anything. Even the Bionicle-like monsters are ok to me, simply because the one in the fortress set still looks pretty cool.
Yea...I also don't see anything wrong with them. We should all be glad of this new (caslte) line, I know I am :D . The bionicle-like monsters look ok to me too. Would the sets be better or worse if they did not include them?

DAn
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:The bionicle-like monsters look ok to me too. Would the sets be better or worse if they did not include them?
If the Giant that comes with the fort wasn't bioniclelike but built like the Snake that comes with the longboat, the set would be better.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:
Yea...I also don't see anything wrong with them. We should all be glad of this new (caslte) line, I know I am :D . The bionicle-like monsters look ok to me too. Would the sets be better or worse if they did not include them?

DAn
To be honest I like bionicle, but TLC SPENDS FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON THEM. They are called TLC not TBC.
If you get one with a minfig set meh its a bonus.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey all,

My random thoughts on these sets:

Yippee! I've been wanting Vikings for years. I'm not overly thrilled on the Bionicle-y monsters, but oh well. I hope that at some point we'll get Odin, Thor, Valkylries, Valhalla.

Helms - I know it's not historically accurate, but my own LEGO castle universe has always been more fantastic, and I love the horned helms. It looks like there may be two different ones, because in 7015 and 7016 the horns seem shorter than in 7019. Is it possible the horns are removable (since they are a different color than the helmet)? If so that could be good for using them in brick-built-beasts without cutting the old horn piece.

Weapons - I see a new single-bladed axe in 7015 and 7016, and a double bladed one in 7017 and 7019. Again the axe heads might be seperable from the shafts, since they are different colors in 7016 (perhaps that is a new axe head with a 4-long bar (lightsaber blade). Also the one in 7017 appears to have[urlhttp://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4095]this bar[/url], as you can see the little bump near the bottom. There's also a war hammer in 7019, for Thor customs. Of course all of those new patterned shields (two types, one flat, the other convex) are very cool. Also, do we have the spears in light gray (or blay) already?

Beards - very cool. I was already planning on doing a run on Red Bean's beards (still am), but am looking forward to these as well, so that I can have a large force of dwarves. I guess I'm going to do the Hobbit after all. :P

The Ship - this is my favorite set by far. I'm actually not all that thrilled by the larger fort set (since I've got Fort Legorado and could easily make something similar). I'm a bit apprehensive about how juniorized the actual boat hull will be. I assume it will be in three pieces like the pirate ships. I love the sail, btw. This is probably the set I'll get, and then pay Bricklink mark-ups for the figs and accessories from the other sets.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

"Im guessing Lego will change the name to maybe "Fafner the Giant", instead of Dragon"."

Fafner IS a dragon. Sigurd Fafnersbane killed him.

I wonder what that Horrible Bionicle thing standig on the water outside of the fortress really is? Sure his weapons are nice, but I never heard of such a creature in the Norse world of myths... MAybe a giant, but that seems wrong.

I do'nt know if these sets has a better story, it seems that every single one of them is has some vikings and a monster for them to defeat...

I think it wise of tlc to take a step back from the storytelling, give the kids a monster and some vikings, they'll know what to do':D:'!

joelish
Last edited by kajo163 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

According to norse mythology Fafner was a man who turned himself into a dragon. Then there was something with Regind and Sigurd killing it I think...

I don't know why Fafner doesn't look like a dragon. TLC could easily have made a nice dragon...
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

Even when I saw the blurry picture of the boat, it got me excited. Like others, I have not been as excited for a new line in years! The sets appear very nice except for some of the Bionicle pieces (makes it look too junky or something). The wolf actually looks pretty good along with the snake, not to mention all the figures, weapons, Chrome armor and helm! I'm excited!