Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Nice little set good peices and minifig 9/10
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I always figured that the flames were for propulsion. Turn the fugure around so he faces away from the flames, and it's a medieval jet pack. :wink:

Seriously, what were the designers thinking with this one?
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Whilst the concept for this little machine was a bit too weird, it was good for the fig and the weapons. 7/10
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Not a great set by all means... Pluses include the fig (nice as far as baddies go), and weapons, but none of them is anything you couldn't get elsewhere.

Parts: 5/10 (Wheels)
Playability: 6/10
Fig/Accessories: 5.5/10
Design (then): 4/10
Design (now): 4/10

Overall score: 4.9/10
Trigger
Laborer

Post by Trigger »

Piece o' crap.
1/10
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

This is a good army builder, but besides that its a pretty pointles set
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

Kids like knights. Kids like goofy flame things. Perfect. I guess. If it was $1.95 like I've heard, I'd buy several of them. I don't think I'd ever actually assemble that... thing, but the parts are nice for the price.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I really don't like the Bulls. This set is weird. It makes no sense to me. Is it supposed to be a sort of medieval lawn mower? Or maybe its used for destroying the crops of your enemy.

I guess it is a good source for a Bull figure. I am happy to say I don't own any Bull figures.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Is it supposed to be a sort of medieval lawn mower? Or maybe its used for destroying the crops of your enemy.
HA HA HA :lol:

Yea, I don't get this set... Fright Knights had something like it too, I think - I dunno - I'm not much of an army builder, I just collect sets, so this is one of those sets I reluctantly buy one of, and call it a day. Flames shooting out? ehhhhh

3/10
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I'm not even sure what this thing is supposed to be. I've never seen this set before, as I was in my dark ages at the time, and a few glances at sets made during that time have only assured me that those were definately the right years for a "dark age".

For a moment, lets just forget the fact that the concept of somebody pushing around a cart with flames in front is stupid and look at the set itself. How are these flames even being produced? Those little blocks couldn't possibly carry enough fuel to keep the flames at such a high intensity for any length of time at all. Secondly, how are the flames controlled? Is there a little trigger switch on the handle that adjusts the intensity, like there is on my lawn mower?

This set isn't even good for the knight. I don't own a "bull" figure, and unless there happens to be one in a bulk lot, I doubt I ever will. I thought the Dragon Masters looked terrible, but suddenly I have a new found respect for them. The helmet makes little sense as it was a DM helmet, and has what I always assumed to be a dragon's head on top. How this is relevant to Bulls I will never know. Secondly, the figure itself looks terrible.

I hate when Lego gets lazy, and that's just what happened here. A set that was poorly thought out, teamed together with a faction that was cobbled together equals overpaid designers. The only use I see for this set is for the sword and spear (maybe the helmet for my DM's... I don't even want that shield).

3 of 10.

(On a side note. If you want to see how low Lego sunk in just a few years, all you have to do is look at the effort put into the mini-sets like these. About 10 years prior, you had a similar set released in which a Crusader was pulling a cart with a treasure chest on it. It actually made sense, and came with just about as many parts, which were similar. In that set you also got a spear, a sword, a shield, a helmet, a minifig, etc. The difference between the two is that the first looked as if it had some thought put into it, seems logical, and could easily find a place in your castle world. This one looks as if the designers reached into a bucket, pulled out a handful of pieces, and stuck them all together without any care or attention. It really makes me sad to think about such a decline... )
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

ezehogan wrote:For a moment, lets just forget the fact that the concept of somebody pushing around a cart with flames in front is stupid and look at the set itself. How are these flames even being produced? Those little blocks couldn't possibly carry enough fuel to keep the flames at such a high intensity for any length of time at all. Secondly, how are the flames controlled?
Where do the flames come from? This is also my problem with the set. LEGO designed other fire carts which make more sense. Take 2538 Crossbow Flamer for example:

This set has a barrel which contains fuel that goes to the flame thrower. It makes sense. We know that in ancient times there were fire throwing ships. So while these fire carts likely never existed in medieval warfare, it is possible that someone could have invented them. I am not too against fire carts in general, just ones that do not make sense.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

The worst thing in this set isn't its design nor the fact that this siege machine makes no sense. I think the worst thing is the selection of the colors, the dark theme and the really ugly figure. I mean this set is proposed for children, no as a test if you suffer from depression!! I am unable to think what brain designed this set. The man is unbeleivable......
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well I can't add much to whats been said. Except that I never knew about this set before, and its rather pathetic. Still, it has pieces, and well umm it has........um..........stuff.

Ok,ok it sucks.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I was originally thinking 5/10 because it's cheap, you get a figure, and some wheels. Then I noticed the red hands. Useless/10.
Wilod King
Serf

Post by Wilod King »

Again I would only get this set for pieces. It has one well equipped soldier and wheels. I would get it maybe also because I have bought a couple of castle accessory packs from tlc and thus have a good number of bull shields and helmets with horns, as well as horse helmets you can put horns on. but no actual bulls. Thus far I hav only figs all in black to wear the bull hearaldry. I'ts a pity I have to have men to fill them. Although I agree the bulls aren't really anything I want. I'd give it 3/10 for stuff with a lack of design.

- Will(not the other Will though)
Wilod, King of the Dilods, Destroyer of Worlds. A.K.A. Psychoboy, Ruler of the Unknown Universe, and Cheese