Weekly Set Review: Magic Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Magic Shop

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6020 Magic Shop.

Magic Shop was released in 1993 for the Dragon Masters. This tree workshop was for Majisto/Merlin. It contained various magical accessories including a spell scroll and glow in the dark magic wand.

Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's a nice small set that you shouldn't hesitate to buy multiples of. The sword in the barrel reminds me of Excalibur, Majisto (Cerlin in German Catalogue) could be identifiyed as Merlin.

This is the cheapest source for brown castle wall corners.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This set was never my cup of tea. I guess it has a decent selection of parts, but it really doesn't feel like a magician's shop. I originally bought this set for the parts (one of only 2 Dragon Masters sets I purchased).

Really, it reminds me of 6034 (Black Monarch's Ghost), but it lacks the connectivity of that set. The set itself seems far better suited to a forstmen character. Despite this, this was one of the better DM sets out there, if only for the parts and the great price.

6/10
castlebrickman
Apprentice

ok

Post by castlebrickman »

well i will tell by doing 1 to 10 and i say its a 7 for a small set becuse it has a little tree and some magical stufff 8) :D
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Instead of a Magic shop, this reminds me more of a little hide-away in an old, broken-down tree for some of his most secret potions.

The set: not to much to get excited about, but a cheep source for the corner parts, arches, and foliage.

D-Man
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

This set... is the prime contributor for excess blue wizard hat 8)
Umgarla
Laborer

Post by Umgarla »

It's a nice little set if you really need a Wizard, a scroll or the corner parts...
But, isn't it a little cheap to make that "sword in the barrel which is supposed to look like a stone"? If they really intended Majisto to be some kinda Merlin like wizard, then where's King Arthur and Camelot and all that? It's a detail, but they shouldn't have put the sword in the barrel... that's my point really... :D
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=115690]"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Re: Weekly Set Review: Magic Shop

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

My sister got this set during a Easter Egg hunt many years ago...of course, I soon assimilated it! :twisted:

You can see the as yet unopened set near my sister's foot in this picture:

I give this set 10/10. It has a cool fig, tree parts, barrel with lid (!!), generic sword, bird, scroll, clear goblet and glow in the dark wand. Ah, I remember endless nights under the bedsheets where Merlin (as I called him, having no knowledge otherwise) would duel the evil demon spirit from 6034. This set is chock full of great minifig accessories, and my sister and I would always fight over who got the clear goblet for our hero to drink from. I never really saw as the sword as sticking in a stone, for me it just looked like a sword sticking in a barrel! :lol: I don't think there is any cons about this set, for the wizard soon went to become a beardless peasant, and the tree helped flesh out my Forestmen...ah...memories... :D
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

Great set when it came out. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have an actual Lego wizard in my army. However, I consider it a waste to buy multiple copies, unless you want a platoon of wizards.
Dusty
Apprentice

Post by Dusty »

The only reason I ended up with this set is because of a flook on ebay. The seller posted a picture with two sets (Armada Sentry and Spy Shark). What I got was spy shark and Magic Shop MISB. Dont take that as I didnt want this set. I was so happy when I got it finally, but everyday I look at it and debate if I should open it. I like the looks of the set and plan to find more.

Dusty
Jobiwan7
Gong Farmer

Post by Jobiwan7 »

This set really brings back memories. It was my first set ever.
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I actually have this set and I think it is a fairly good set. It has a 10/10 amount of parts. For a kid, it would be a fun set to play with. The design is weird, but interesting. But if you want to build your armys, not the set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I'm pretty happy with this set. I never owned it and I wasn't aware that it came with brown castle corners which in my opinion is a plus because I don't own any.

I was a fan of the Dragon Master faction when I was a kid, but now that I think about it, it is a little lame because most of their fotresses were ridiculous.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Got that set pretty recently when I didn't really need it anymore just to complete the collection. Basically I regereted years ago of not buying it short period after my dark ages, it was still the only set I could get that had Merlin. Anyway it's a small set - pretty similer to 6034 in my opinion. The best part of it is of course the brown corner walls which are pretty hard to get (only 6079 and that came only 3 years after).

I guess 8.5/10
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I think that this set would been a fine addition for parts - great set of minifig accessories. If you never even consider this Merlin, and think of it as some old eccentric wizard it has a lot of playability. I didn't see any of this set as related to Arthurian Legend, just the most commonly recognized Good Sorcerers name being used again and again .... This set could sit nicely in the corner of any small village, inside/outside a castle wall, or even in the town and add a little character to the area (pardon the pun). I would give it 8/10.
Cheers
SirBert
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear