Vikings dragons !

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Dear LEGO,

I hereby declare my availability to design a better dragon for your sets.

Sincerely

--Anthony, Master of Winged Beasts
dear lego, take him up on it.. :D

BTW on topic: Some folks like the new dragon some folks hate it. It's just one of those things, you can't please all of the people all of the time.
My personal opinion is that I love the new dragons, but I liked the old fort. I don't know, I just liked the top of it and the tower and all. :D

anyways, I am counting the days until these sets are out, and oh yeah.. my kingdom is so getting invaded by northmen.

Now I think I'll start work on a little town for them to sack. I should be done by august. :wink:
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

While I agree, the no beards is a real let down. I have to say that I doubt what we see now will be final. We've seen roughly 2-3 versions far of these Vikings and so I'm not going to comment fully til its June hehe.

As for the dragons, I love em. I'll use the old DMs as Whelps now, well maybe not quite whelps hehe.

Anyway the new layout of the fortress is a plus, although the catapult.. should go honestly.

All around nice improvements, save the lack of beards, which I HOPE!!! LEGO will put back.

I mean come on??? A Viking minus the beard... thats half a viking... and it ruins my dwarf dreams!!! hehe
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Assassin
Villein

Post by Assassin »

I agree with Legofreak, the previous castle was (is) way superior to the current version. The tower/gate (looking closely you can just see some doors that possibly opened outward) looked very Norse in style and I was really looking forward to getting several copies of the set, now - - - - , I'll wait until I see better pictures AND theres a parts list on PEERON before I decide if I still want it.

The longship now (provided they dont change it) is another story.

As for the dragon, it's a definite improvement on the bionicle rejects, but I agree with others, there is still room for improvement.

As for the beards ! ! ! ! ! I had high hopes that maybe Lego would create a couple of different beard shapes in the proper plastic and in various colours.

You never know, we may yet be pleasantly surprised (though I doubt it).
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Blueandwhite wrote:
Dragon Master wrote:Another victory for Megablocs :cry:

The DM Dragons PWN these pieces-o-crap!

Sheesh. We've seen rediculous pre-fab animals for over ten years now (ie. Dinosaurs). I don't see why there is such a fuss over this dragon.

While I am no fan of pre-fabricated creatures such as these, I think that the comparisons between Megabloks and LEGO are a bit extreme. From what I've seen, Most Megabloks sets allow for no building what-so-ever! Allthough LEGO isn't what it used to be, LEGO bricks are still far more versatile than Megabloks!

To compare LEGO to a shoddy clone product which doesn't even stand up to some of the LEGO knock-offs coming out of Asia is just rediculous. Just because LEGO is trying to make their line-up a bit more exciting doesn't mean that they are 'ripping off' Megabloks.

(And the DM dragons were awful! They certainly aren't my cup of tea at any rate.)

Later.
I agree with everything you have to say about Megabloks quality. They are truly aweful in design. In fact, when I make a ebay purchase of a bag of bricks, I pick out the Megabloks and throw them away.

However, I believe I read somewhere that Megabloks sells better in the US than Lego. I think that's the point that some of these posters are making. They aren't saying that Megabloks are better sets, they're saying since Megabloks sells so well, Lego is trying to emulate Megabloks and is failing to do so well. I am really dissapointed with the dragon. It looks like I'll be buying most of my Vikings on Bricklink....
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I have to say that it gets rather depressing anymore reading posts on this forum. I think we've all beaten the dead horse about how LEGO isn't like it was back in the day.

It just seems like no one will ever be happy with any set unless it mimics completely what it was way backwhen. That's not going to happen im sorry to say. They've gotten somewhat better, but people just want to stay focused on what they don't have.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just sad to realize that most of it is always negative.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Blueandwhite wrote: Sheesh. We've seen rediculous pre-fab animals for over ten years now (ie. Dinosaurs). I don't see why there is such a fuss over this dragon.

While I am no fan of pre-fabricated creatures such as these, I think that the comparisons between Megabloks and LEGO are a bit extreme. From what I've seen, Most Megabloks sets allow for no building what-so-ever! Allthough LEGO isn't what it used to be, LEGO bricks are still far more versatile than Megabloks!
Agreed, these new dragons are definitely better than the one-piece MB ones. We got one in a garage-sale lot, and my daughter immediately dubbed it "Smaug" - we had just read the Hobbit together.

The fuss, I think, stems more from the wings, which were my original quibble. I would've prefered the wings to be built with pieces, particularly for articulation.

Shameless plug: My own CCC-II entry of a Great Winged Worm is a really simple example of piece-built articulated wings.

Of course, Sava's dragons are without peers.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Akuma
Villein

Post by Akuma »

Dragonlord Esq. wrote:I'm sorry, but the fact that they don't have beards just kills it for me. Maybe I can use wizard beards and I can have an army of really old Vikings.
Word...
Everyone is only worried with the "Megabloks" (stupid comparison in my opinion) when the real problem is.. no beards :(

Guys just put this in your head: Fantasy dragons are similar EVERYWHERE. Vikings are similar EVERYWHERE. This is not Megabloks, it's LEGO! You can use the Dragon parts on other things, can you do it with Megabloks? Pfff, tired of that conversation already..
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1668/]MOCPages[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Xuma]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

No beards! :x
whats the point of vikings without beards?
Hopefully there still being molded so they couldn't be in the picture.
As far as the dragon, I think it looks cool and could care less whether or not it looks a little like megablok. It's not like TLC is using the same kind of low qulity plastic.
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

Most people here say that the dragons look to Megablokish.
Of course they do!! A Dragon is a Dragon isn't it, you can't mold a frog and call that a dragon. A standard Dragon needs wings and razor sharp teeth.
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I like the ideas being presented in the Viking line. They are not perfect, but for me they are better than what has come out recently for the "Castle" Crew. I think the Dragons are not as good as many MOCcers can build but neither are or were the Castles - so it may give us some new pieces to work with.
I like the new design of the Gate and keep in general. I do not yet have any catapults - amazing I know - so I can live with it, although I don't think it is a great idea for the design. why would you put the catapullt on top of you keep for the dragon to land on it and tear your keep apart - catapults on expendable platforms ....
I am extremely interested in any Longboat pics to see if that has changed - that's the one I wanted 5 or 6 of.
There is my 2cents.
Play well
SirBert
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I have to say that it gets rather depressing anymore reading posts on this forum. I think we've all beaten the dead horse about how LEGO isn't like it was back in the day.

It just seems like no one will ever be happy with any set unless it mimics completely what it was way backwhen. That's not going to happen im sorry to say. They've gotten somewhat better, but people just want to stay focused on what they don't have.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just sad to realize that most of it is always negative.
True. I think that a lot of people, if a new set that was built like a classic castle set came out, would be rather disappointed. But back on topic, I think whatever LEGO does will be fine -- after all, it IS Vikings!
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Draygen wrote:I have to say that it gets rather depressing anymore reading posts on this forum. I think we've all beaten the dead horse about how LEGO isn't like it was back in the day.

You don't have to read the posts that depress you....

Besides, I think there are far more positive posts than negative ones. Overall I'm really excited about the Vikings line. The longship looks great; this is the best set in my opinion. Now there are things I don't like, like the Bionicle pieces and dragon wings for example. As a result, I'll probably buy the pieces I like on Bricklink to avoid the pieces I don't like. That doesn't mean I hate Lego or the Vikings!

Anyway, sorry you're depressed. Just remember this forum is best used when people share all of their feelings, good and bad. :)
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Redaxe wrote:Anyway, sorry you're depressed. Just remember this forum is best used when people share all of their feelings, good and bad. :)
I agree with what you have to say, but there is a point of beating a dead horse too much. I find it ironic that when the first grainy pics came out everyone was totally jazzed and hyped, but now almost everyone has now taken to tearing apart. Only a few, like myself, are still looking at this line as a godsend.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

I always had a symphaty for dragons, so I'm happy to see more dragons. They are pretty cool and dragonish also. I really look forward to these sets. Bring 'em on! :D
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Ok, so the Viking line isn't or won't be all that it could be. But look what were getting, even without beards! If nothing else, the Viking line is a HUGE improvement in the amount of bricks in a set; the fortess is actually enclosed by walls! :shock: I do hope that there will be new beards and I think that there is still a good chance that there will be. I'm actually looking forward to the new weapons as well as the new helmets. Also, it would be nice to be able to get the new chrome armor in sets other than KKII version two; I'll keep hoping...

D-Man