Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures (1981)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

Hmm... I like the knights from that period, I wish I had some. This set, though collectable, doesn't include the armor or shields that I really like about 375, etc. figures. If this was a Fright Knights or KK1 set everyone would be complaining about the lack of accessories and how LEGO is going downhill. Can't say I'm keen on the torso designs either. If they had the Maltese cross or the CC.com shield up top I'd like them a whole lot more. 5.5/10
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

architect wrote:The box was a clear plastic one with a top cardboard tag. I do not think that anyone owns one (although someone must have the cardboard portion because there is a scan of it on lugnet). LEGO's vault has copies of the town and space versions of 0016, but not the castle version. Several collectors have assembled versions of the set, but no packaging.
There's a castle set Jojo doesn't own? :shock:

Anyway, I think it's a lovely little set. It's very minimal, yes, but that's where it's great. You could never get too many of these. Overall, a 9/10, because I think they should've had shields.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The torso prints weren't particularly vibrant, either in design or intenisty of color back then. I know a fair amount of people liked the plainer but more realistic heraldry, but I've always found these figs a bit on the dull side. All with the same swords and helmets and no shields. Just too plain on all fronts to get more than 6/10 from me.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Don't have it, probably will never will and don't know a single person who does. The potential of this set is of course it's rareness and the fact that those torso are pretty hard to get these days. Of course castle now misses the days of minifig packs. I won't grade it cause I can't really.
00Psyren00
Laborer

Post by 00Psyren00 »

>Webrain
Who is Eye_Rod?
Did he kill Webrain?
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The positive thing is: Nice figs, very usable light grey helmets and swords.

The negative thing is: No shields, not available in Germany.

Even more negative: I cannot claim I own this set. I have all the figs and pieces and they are standing on my Classic Knights shelf next to the other Classic Castle sets, but I have no deed of ownership in the form of any instructions (there ain't instructions for this set) or packaging. And naturally I didn't get the figs on my shelf from Canada, either. :-)

The pic that's up in the Lugnet database I scanned from the back of a set 0013 or 0015 Space Figs that a friend of mine happens to own MISB.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I'm sure that if this set was readily available today, I would buy several copies and build an army out of it. That said, however, I'm not thrilled with the set. The figures are dull and I think they should have shields. A couple more figs would be nice, as would a better variety of weapons.
They do redeem themselves somewhat due to the fact that even though they are all slightly different, they're similar enough that they wouldn't look too out of place serving in the same army together.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
00Psyren00
Laborer

Post by 00Psyren00 »

I really have a soft spot for those simple days of smily knights...
Any army-builder set is worth getting in my opinion. If I could go back in time I'd buy every army-builder set many times.
The 'figs in this set are good, simple foot soldiers with similar uniforms, so large amounts of them would fit well in castle.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I don't know why they didn't jazz up the helmets and the weapons, and no sheilds...

5/10

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
castlebrickman
Apprentice

sheilds

Post by castlebrickman »

I think they realy need sheilds come on no shields that realy stinks.
But its still a good set to make foot soldiers :D
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

I would give it an 8/10. I would love to get guys and sword so easy but I would hate to send them into battle with no armor
Farithdir
Villein

Awesome army builder

Post by Farithdir »

As a stand alone set, it deserves a 2/10. But it was cheap, and had 3 guys almost exactly the same....No variety...So unlike all my armies today, when you built one with these guys, it would not looked like some untrained rabble.

Buy 100 of these sets, have a couple of battles...heh heh heh :twisted:
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I agree with previous posters for the fact that people seem to give these older sets generous reviews simply for fond memories or for the fact that they came during the period of classic Lego.

The best evidence of this is by looking at some of the catapults. I'd say that MOST of us here clamour for realism in our sets. That is why there is such opposition to the current sets being released today. However, when one looks at some of the old catapults, they are laughable. Somehow most people can still defend them by saying "when I was a kid I didn't know any better, and had a blast with this!" There are kids out there today having a blast with those stupid jousting knights on horses with wheels. I'm sure that someday they will defend that set as well.

We're more forgiving with sets we have fond memories with, but in a review section, I don't think that should be so. Each set should be reviewed with an objective approach, and not simply "good" if its older and "bad" if its newer.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

ezehogan wrote:I agree with previous posters for the fact that people seem to give these older sets generous reviews simply for fond memories or for the fact that they came during the period of classic Lego.

We're more forgiving with sets we have fond memories with, but in a review section, I don't think that should be so. Each set should be reviewed with an objective approach, and not simply "good" if its older and "bad" if its newer.
Well, I suppose for alot of people, the appeal of this set is the fact that it is so elusive. I mean, you know a set is rare when even Jojo doesn't have a copy.

Also, even in today's market, don't tell me that alot of Castle fans wouldn't want a minifig pack like this! It seems that most people are excited for the Viking line because of the minifigs, not because of the set designs. How many of those people wouldn't want a minifig pack just like this? I'm not really a big fan of this set, but I do understand its appeal.

Remember. Good sets create fond memories :) !

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]