Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress.

Forestmen's River Fortress was released in 1989. It is a rock and tree fortess surrounded by water. Special features of the set are the raft, ramp, portcullis, jail, and opening back wall. Five forestmen, one lion soldier, and various accessories are included.

Last edited by architect on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
britsrule
Serf

Post by britsrule »

great set, five forestmen, one lion i think i cant see it. two sheilds, some angled wall pieces, leaves, arrow target, and a good baseplate.

8 out of ten.
0==)==britsrule==>
Nathendricks428
Villein

Post by Nathendricks428 »

I don't own this set, but I would like to. It looks really cool. From what I have read on Lugnet, there isn't much inside the set, but has room for putting in your own interior accesories. I really like this set. One thing though. It might have been better if it was all a tree, or all a stone structure. Play ability looks good.

9/10

-Nathendricks428
"Only the best is good enough"-Ole Kirk Christiansen, founder of LEGO.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is a good set, both for its design and for its pieces. Actually every set that comes with foliage is a good set for pieces... It's a great source of small barrels (it got four of them) and black 45° corner slopes (13). And after all blue 32 squarestud baseplates ain't too common, either, and they are always comming in handy.

It's true inside it's quite empty, but then again there isn't much interior in other Castles of that time periode, either. The poor prisoner is forced to stand in the water, but he's a prisoner and thus not supposed to make demands.
This Lion knight must be either a really brave or a very stupid man to attack this Forestmen's fortress all alone.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This is one of my favorite sets. Allthough it didn't have an interior to speak of, it did have one of the nicest exterior designs I've ever seen. A nice slection of bricks, and a decent assortment of figs, this is a must-have for any Forestman fan!

This set doesn't really rely on gimicks as much as it relies on excellent visual design! Great!

9/10

Later.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I love this set, it's great design, it's good figs, I love it all!
true, it doesn't have a interier, but you can biuld your own.

9/10
kingkastle
Laborer

Post by kingkastle »

10/10 All the way. This is the set that began my Lego collection. I loved it back then and still do today. Of course it is no longer together as I have moved up into building bigger and better fortresses. I can remember building and rebuilding this set dozens of times, the wide array of usefull bricks and simple color scheme meant there were so many possibilities. A true jewel amongst lego castle sets. 10/10.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

An excellent set. It was the last Forestmen's set I got. A great example of the sets Lego used to make. It looks good from the outside, and opens up for more interior playability. True it is rather empty inside, but they are forestmen after all.

I'd give it a 9/10, just to leave a few points to give to my all time favorite sets.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

There are only two original Forestmen sets I don't own, the River Crossing and this set.

I really want this set. I think it might be the best of the Forestmen sets, and one of the best sets of that era. True, it has no interior but it is easy to add one. The design is great and the concept is fantastic. I love the thought of a group of outlaws living inside of an abandon fortress on a river.

This one is a real winner. 10 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

This is my favorite Castle Set ever, and I've never even had one. The design is great, and the playability is endless. Forestmen kick Megablocks!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

The is one of the only Castle sets I've really wanted that wasn't an actual castle. Well, when I say want, I mean desperately need. Still don't have this beauty.
10/10
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

What a set! What a set!! Apart from the great pieces, the figs, and the great set design I love it from nastalga (I think thats how you spell it). At one time this was the set I wanted above all others. I still would reallllly like.(hint, hint)

I remember staring for hours at the one picture we had of it. I think it was in the 1992 catalogue. The pic was small and a little out of focus. I stared at it for so long that I thought the white flag was a poko-dot flag!

This set has great figs. FIVE forestmen. Plus, this is a great design. A fortress in the water. A very interesting and unused design. All in all, 100000000000000000000000/10.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Wilod King
Serf

ROCK ON!

Post by Wilod King »

FINALLY A SET I OWN AND CAN DISCUSS. :D I GOT THIS ONE OFF OF BRICKLINK TWO MONTHS AGO, SO I CAN'T RIGHTLY SPEAK TO IT'S PLAYABILITY :oops: , BUILD AND DISPLAY. I HAD A NUMBER OF SETS COMING TO ME THEN AND HAD TO BUILD THEM TO VERIFY COMPLETENESS. AND THEN DISSASSEMBLE AND SORT PIECES FOR MY CASTLE COLLECTION. I HAD TO BUY TWO MORE STOREAGE/SORTING CONTAINERS FOR ALL OF MY NEW AQUISITIONS. :shock: THE SET LOOKS AWESOME, BUT AGAIN COULD USE INTERIOR, NO PROBLEM FOR THOSE WITH CREATIVITY. BUT IT IS GREAT THAT IT OPENS AND YOU CAN PLAY AND CREATE INSIDE. THE MINIFIG NUMBER IS GREAT, AND IT HELPS TO HAVE AN OPPOSING FACTION (POOR LONELY GUY :twisted: ). I REALLY LIKE THE BRIDGE, PORTCULLIS, AND RAFT AS WELL. THIS SET IS GREAT FOR PIECES AS WELL. I'M RATHER FOND OF THIS FACTION ANYWAY, BUT I THINK THE OTHERS ARE BETTER IN A CAMOFLAUGE/FORESTY WAY. THIS ONE SEEMS TO BE TOO OUT IN THE OPEN, BUT MAYBE IT'S IN A FOREST LAKE. ALTOGETHER I THINK IT IS A GREAT SET 10/10.

at this rate i'll be a gong farmer forever, how many do I need?
Wilod, King of the Dilods, Destroyer of Worlds. A.K.A. Psychoboy, Ruler of the Unknown Universe, and Cheese
Jojo
Master

Re: ROCK ON!

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Wilod King wrote:at this rate i'll be a gong farmer forever, how many do I need?
Typing a whole text in capital letters qualifies you perfectly as a gong farmer :-)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill