I builded!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

I builded!

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I builded! I builded!

For the first time in months I really builded!

I got the idea after watching a show on the History Channel called Terry Clark's Medieval Life (I think that's what it was called).

Anyway in one of the paintings on the show there was an odd looking windmill. I did some research and it turns out the windmill I saw was called a 'Post Mill'.

Here you can find a pic of it and the two other styles of windmill:
http://servercc.oakton.edu/~wittman/mills/types.htm

My readings from multiple websites suggest that all medieval european windmills were Post Mills, and the other two types of mills didn't come till much later.
Of course I'm no expert, so I could be wrong. I'm just telling you what I read.

Anyway I went off and built me a Post Mill, cause I wanted to. I don't think I've ever seen one built out of LEGO, and if someone has built one then I'm sorry.

But here she is:

A modest gallery can be found here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=70329

It's not a pretty building, but it's not meant to be, either. It's meant to reflect the plainness of the classic medieval Post Mill, and I think I did an OK job.

The whole building pivots as a real post mill should.

There's a working millstone in there, I'll have to take some inside pics.

And I've built the rotor at an angle, this pic from the gallery shows it off:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=638222

However, this MOC is not complete, and is missing a few key items. First, I believe that my MOC is missing a center support post underneath it, thus the name Post mill, so I'm going to have to add that. I also need the long arm with which the miller used to rotate the building into the wind. I also don't have the roof quite finished, nor do I have much in the way of nice details inside, like bags of grain and stairs to get up to the upper level where the millstone is.

It's really cramped inside, which I'm sure is unrealistic, but like I said, I was going for a primitive feel with this MOC, so it had to stay small.

However, I am pleased with it. It looks rather neat I think. Though I may still go back, take it all apart, and rebuild it to be much taller so that it isn't so cramped inside. If I do that it'll also give me a chance to put in some other details. Who knows.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

The folder is not yet public. Very interesting though, from a historical perspective! Will LYKWIT of your MOC once it can be veiwed.
Troy T. Moore
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Anthony,

Very cool, and I learned something! One suggestion--you've built it out of gray, which suggests stone construction. This would be unbelievably heavy to put as a rotating building on a post. The link you gave said they'd be wooden, which would be better in brown or tan (maybe log bricks?).
I really like the way you tilted the blades, btw. That's a detail I've never seen in a windmill MOC before.

Bruce
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

One suggestion--you've built it out of gray, which suggests stone construction. This would be unbelievably heavy to put as a rotating building on a post. The link you gave said they'd be wooden, which would be better in brown or tan (maybe log bricks?).
OOH! Anthony got schooled by Bruce! Yoo! Yoo!

Look at Anthony running with his tail between his legs - you may got the greys, but you ain't got the Bruce STYLE.

I've seen Terry Jones' Medieval Life - specifically the shows on Outlaws and on Peasants. Very informative, and very fun. I really like history that searchs for the truth in our commonly held views - it was awesome. (note to self- go to public library and find back copies).

I've also been watching the History Channel's Barbarians, and while it is a fun show, it isn't entirely historically accurate. ("Names and Facts have been changed to be more exciting")

still, anthony - this is a tre-cool moc!

-lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey Anthony,

Very cool, and I learned something! One suggestion--you've built it out of gray, which suggests stone construction. This would be unbelievably heavy to put as a rotating building on a post. The link you gave said they'd be wooden, which would be better in brown or tan (maybe log bricks?).
I really like the way you tilted the blades, btw. That's a detail I've never seen in a windmill MOC before.

Bruce
I think this is a really nicely thought out point. The only problem I would have with it is that Aggie's windmill IS tan.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Right, Dan, I don't see the gray that Bruce saw, I see only tan. Great MOC, Anthony, can't wait for the inside pics; I'd like to know how you tilted the rotors.

Mr. D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Nice work Anthony,

As others have stated, all I am seeing is tan as well.

Perhaps bruce needs to take off the rose colored glasses. :lol:

I definitely think a center post is needed, but keep it small, not all windmills were 30 feet tall.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Neat! On my monitor the first 3 shots appear lt grey, but the 4th is tan. Just the lighting and the differences in monitors......or rose colored glasses :wink:
Troy T. Moore
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Oops. Is this really tan? On my monitor it looks gray, but that could be a lighting trick. If it is tan, I sheepishly withdraw my previous comments.

Bruce