Dragons

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragoman
Laborer

Post by Dragoman »

Farithdir wrote:It is undebatable that the dragon originated in Siberia. Over time, there was a shortage of food.There it split into three groups-Some headed to Europe, others to China in an attempt to find new sources of nutrition. A third group followed it's favorite prey, humans, over the land bridge into north america.

As for the fire, it can be explained quite simply: Dragons are not of this world!

When there shuttle crashed, this highly advanced culture was forced to live primitively on this new world. They were the real rulers of all ancient civilizations, and King Ramses of Egypt was a dragon, as well as the entire Su dynasty in China, and a few popes. They used humans as their slaves to build such things as the pyramids, Great Wall of China, Hagia Sophia, and even The Tower of Babel.

In 1392, Merlinus Aquisas III summoned the power of Normandys wizards and began a crusade to rid the world of this scourge.

The reason America has thrived is our civilization is the first not to be ruled by dragons.
You’re kidding, right? :?

Can I ask where you are getting your information? Cause (and no affiance but) some how I seriously doubt that it true. Ok, I’m no history buff so I can’t really say one way or another. But I am a Roman Catholic and with that I’ve learned a few things about which pope was who and I can tell you right now that there was never a dragon pope.
"a man will give his life for a mystery, but not a question mark."
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Dragoman wrote:
Farithdir wrote:It is undebatable that the dragon originated in Siberia. Over time, there was a shortage of food.There it split into three groups-Some headed to Europe, others to China in an attempt to find new sources of nutrition. A third group followed it's favorite prey, humans, over the land bridge into north america.

As for the fire, it can be explained quite simply: Dragons are not of this world!

When there shuttle crashed, this highly advanced culture was forced to live primitively on this new world. They were the real rulers of all ancient civilizations, and King Ramses of Egypt was a dragon, as well as the entire Su dynasty in China, and a few popes. They used humans as their slaves to build such things as the pyramids, Great Wall of China, Hagia Sophia, and even The Tower of Babel.

In 1392, Merlinus Aquisas III summoned the power of Normandys wizards and began a crusade to rid the world of this scourge.

The reason America has thrived is our civilization is the first not to be ruled by dragons.
You’re kidding, right? :?

Can I ask where you are getting your information? Cause (and no affiance but) some how I seriously doubt that it true. Ok, I’m no history buff so I can’t really say one way or another. But I am a Roman Catholic and with that I’ve learned a few things about which pope was who and I can tell you right now that there was never a dragon pope.
Of course he's kidding. This whole discussion is admittedly ridiculous (not so ridiculous that I didn't want to keep going with it though), and I think he's playing on that.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Dragoman
Laborer

Post by Dragoman »

doctorsparkles wrote: Of course he's kidding. This whole discussion is admittedly ridiculous (not so ridiculous that I didn't want to keep going with it though), and I think he's playing on that.
man, Don’t I feel stupid :oops:
sorry about my ignores to all things containing sarcasm and to any thing that is remotely humorous. Can I just chuck it up to being new? :wink:
"a man will give his life for a mystery, but not a question mark."
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Farithdir wrote:The reason America has thrived is our civilization is the first not to be ruled by dragons.
Ix-nay! Remember His Majestic Royalness here at C-C is a d-r-a-g-o-n.

...and so is Dubya. Oooooooo, sorry, didn't mean to let that slip.

:wink:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Dragoman wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote: Of course he's kidding. This whole discussion is admittedly ridiculous (not so ridiculous that I didn't want to keep going with it though), and I think he's playing on that.
man, Don’t I feel stupid :oops:
sorry about my ignores to all things containing sarcasm and to any thing that is remotely humorous. Can I just chuck it up to being new? :wink:
Don't worry about it. I've taken things seriously that I probably shouldn't have.
TwoTonic Knight wrote:...and so is Dubya. Oooooooo, sorry, didn't mean to let that slip.
I knew it! That explains everything... or nothing at all. One of the two.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:
...and so is Dubya. Oooooooo, sorry, didn't mean to let that slip.

:wink:
Dragons don't choke on pretzels. :wink:

The show creators aren't trying to say that Dragons did, do, or will exist. They are simply trying to prove that this "magical" beast is scientifically, evolutionarily, biologically, and chemicals plausible. From what I have seen in the previews it will. They just threw the Dragons in as a visual aide. So you don't have to go around believing it.

>DM<
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Snap Dracone
Freeman

Post by Snap Dracone »

I must say I have found this informative... as I intend to be a novelist, with dragons as the main characters, I love to hear theoretical scientific explanations for the fire ability.

Of course, Magic tends to follow dragons... but what might work in my stories is that lightning-dragons can produce their own electricity, like certain earth animals, but it is amplified somehow (externally or internally – I prefer the latter) (rubbery skin... what exactly does that have to do with it?) to create the bolts that they do.

Admittedly, some of my characters' draconic abilities I doubt could be at all explained by science... But since these are fantasy and not science fiction, magical abilities are allowed.

Sorry about that. I have been known to ramble about dragons for hours...

Any Zoologists here? :?
What's the point of having a cake if you're not going to eat it?
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Just to get this active again, today is march 17th this thing is on the 20th, am I right or did I some how mix up the dates? :?
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Hmmm,

It just ended. I have mixed feelings about it. I think that it was kinda rushed, they should have expanded it to fit the full 2hrs.

It was a bit sad, all about the species becoming extinct.

I think they should have looked into modern day claims of dragon sighthing, such as the Lochness Monster.

I was pretty impressed by the CGI.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I just got finished watching the Dragons show.
They ended up using the platinum/hydrogen reaction to explain how dragons created the flame. Hydrogen was created as a by-product of their digestive tracts and stored inside their body. Hydrogen was released into their mouths, where it reacted with the platinum. I really wish they had gone more in depth to explain how dragons protected themselves from their own fire, but instead there was only a very brief mention (only one sentence) of dragons' mouths being heavily armored... pretty lame, if you ask me.
Oh well... still pretty cool to watch.
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I only watched part of this tonight and from what I saw, I was left with the impression that the show was trying to claim the Dragons were real.......there was a part that explained that a Dragon carcass was found somewhere in Romania by mountain climbers or something??
I never heard of this?
Did the show just make that part up or what?
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Jacob C. wrote:I only watched part of this tonight and from what I saw, I was left with the impression that the show was trying to claim the Dragons were real.......there was a part that explained that a Dragon carcass was found somewhere in Romania by mountain climbers or something??
I never heard of this?
Did the show just make that part up or what?
They were trying to make it seem as real and believable as possible. There was no real dragon carcass found.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

As I sit here watching the Dragons show, I was rereading this thread and the most unbelievable thing I read was...that beer or wine will ignite. :wink:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I saw it, and I thought it was pretty cool. There was obviously a great deal of thought put into this, and all my gripes about it are mentioned above. The way they went from living with Dinosaurs, to swimming underwater, to prowling the jungle, to being forced into the mountains by humans was done well. It was interesting how the extinction of the dragons back then somewhat reflected the extinction of other animals in the world. I found it very believable too.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Time for some genetic experimentation. :twisted:

Anyhow, I really liked the whole show. I agree it should've been longer, as it was a bit rushed. I wish they showed the "feathered serpent" variety of dragon that was prevalent in Meso-American mythology from the Aztecs and Mayans, like Quetzalcoatl. I like the Chinese dragon part.... it was like "Crouching Tiger : Hidden Dragon".... except it was more like "Curious Tiger : Hungry Dragon". :lol:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]