Weekly Set Review: Fright Knights Flying Machine

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

I have 5 of these in my collection. A newspaper gave these away as a promotion.(Including the little Willa + Fireplace set)
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

See this review, LEGO? Don't do it again.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Ha ha ha... when I saw this set on the main page, I just laughed.... I knew it would get totally trashed and destroyed by the members... and sure enough, it's been a pleasure to read the reviews.

That said, I actually kind of like the bat lord figs, so was a good way (and still is a good way) for me to get a nice little cult horde going....

:twisted:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Lego designer were as far as possible into the fantastic* line of castle sets...
Hum... not as far as possible: further!!

* i.e. ridiculous for most of Afols! ;)
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Haha! That's pathetic. :?

I've never seen this set before. Now I know why.

1/10(and that's only for the chrome sword and 2 spears)

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Playability: 0/10
Part Selection: 0/10
Fig: 0/10
Design: -5/10

Thats right, LEGO you owe me 5 points for making such a pointless crappy set. Why not just give the fig and a bunch of random assorted parts, or have a three-year-old design your smaller models.

Sillyness asside, this set blows.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Dreadful.

(Brevity is the soul of wit)

:D
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Were the admins seriously expecting real reviews :?:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Were the admins seriously expecting real reviews
Of course we are expecting real reviews. Each set, no matter how spectacular or horrible in you opinion, deserves a review. I think several noteworthy responses were given about the piece selection and minifigure included.

Something that was not mentioned is that this was a promotional set for Shell gas stations. Since there were several small shell sets for numerous themes in 97/98, these sets were probably designed quickly. This flying machine does fit into the overall theme of Fright Knights. I think most of us agree that the designers were stretching castle a bit too much into the realm of space for this faction. Remember that other multi-thematic themes like "Time Twisters" were coming out at the same time.

In one way it is good to show kids that they can make a space ship out of castle parts. However an idea book would serve this purpose better and the castle theme should not be undermined by poor design.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

Something that was not mentioned is that this was a promotional set for Shell gas stations.
In my opinion this is a fact you have to mind. I don't like the design and the theme, but it is a little, cheap set, you can use as gift when visiting. It costs about 2 EUR at that time.

Nowadays you don't find any sets for castle theme in this price margin. But those sets are necessary to keep LEGO as toy in mind of the parents. The kids would play with it.

regards,
jens
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

The end of true Castle Lego.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

architect-
You may want to check on that as I was frequently filling up with gas at Shell (in the USA) during that time to get free LEGO sets, and this was not one of them. The three Fright Knights sets at Shell during that time were 2538, 2539, & 2540, as well as seven other sets from various themes (all numbered from 2535-2544)...of which I have many of each thanks to some friendly Shell employees :wink: ..anyways, onto the review...

I do not have this set, and I am actually fine with that fact. I think that says enough considering my addiction to LEGO Castle & my need to get every set I can...

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

ed_dotcom wrote:You may want to check on that as I was frequently filling up with gas at Shell (in the USA) during that time to get free LEGO sets, and this was not one of them.
I also bought this set not at a Shell station but on retail (Wal Mart) then.
However, I bought it together with the Witch's Fireplace 2872. And 2872 was available at Shell stations. I only got it last year there and they didn't have a great assortment anymore, but I guess they once had 2848 as well. Of course I can't say for sure, though.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Suvied
Laborer

Post by Suvied »

Well, for only 20 pieces, 8 are castle specific. The fig isn't bad and he has weapons enough alright. This set is okay. I would get multiples for under $1.50. Over that I might get one. The biggest downfall is that you really can't build much else with the parts.
There is someone who is always worse off than you . . . consider my peasants for example.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

architect-
You may want to check on that as I was frequently filling up with gas at Shell (in the USA) during that time to get free LEGO sets, and this was not one of them.
I thought this set was also sold at Shell because I recieved it as a gift along with the other small sets bought at a shell station. I may be wrong about this. Jojo is correct that some of these sets were sold at both shell and normal retailers. Does anyone in North America remember how they got this set?

Ben
CC Sets Admin