Weekly Set Review: Knight's Procession

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

This set is AWESOME!!! Why can't they build 'em like this anymore? I love it, 6 guys with great weapons, great helmets, great colors. And the cart even has cool off-road wheels!:D By far the best minifig pack hands down, what more could you ask for.

11/10
This set deserves an improper fraction!
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Ignore the little wagon - this is a minifig pack. Only two different figs, and even then they all have the same torso. But the figs are wonderfully unburdened from being overly specific - such straightforwardness is refreshing in comparison to today's jellybean knights. The only caveat I'd have about this is that the printing from that time didn't cover as well, so that part could appear a bit muddied. Alas that I have exactly one of these figs (not one set, just one fig). If LEGO ever chose to reissue this set (it seems an unlikely choice), I'd certainly buy several. 9/10 (sorry, I reserve the 10/10 for minifig packs to the later 6103).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

One of the sets I actually remember myself playing with when I was a child. I had a lot of fun with it.
Too bad these figs have to play veterans in my scenes because none of them is still in good shape :cry:
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Oh wow...does this bring back memories. My first ever castle set...and, therefore, my favorite faction. Okay, trying to be objective now. The cart isn't much by today's standards but there weren't any castle pieces then, so it is pretty good. As previously mentioned, the rubber wheels are out of place. I always imagined the various bricks on the cart were boxes and parcels. There is one thing about this set that always bugged me though. The name is "Knight's Procession", it is a procession belonging to a knight. These guys are soldiers, not knights. So where is the knight? Never could figure that out, so I made one, the knight in my avatar. Objectively a 9/10, subjectively a 1000/10. :)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Needless to say this is a great set. I'll say it nevertheless: This is a great set. The greatness comes from the figs that are simple but nice. I like the shields and the grey arms of the figs, resembling chainmail armour.

The little cart is neglectible. Though it sometimes comes with a real erm.. treasure: A light grey 1×1 roundbrick with a solid stud. The only two or three I own I got from this set.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

The contents of the cart are unspecific and generic allowing you to imagine they are whatever you want.
Yes, and this was very common about Lego set of this time, and it offers a good playability: all the bricks can be used for many Mocs...
[...] The wheels look out of place with a castle set. This is forgiven though, as the "castle wheels" didn't exist yet.
When I was a child, I was thinking these rubber weels was very funny, as perfect "Lego style"...
As an adult, they simply look generic Lego weels for me... But smooth tires were made several years ago and they were put into many sets, so I think Lego designers should have used them instead of these common notched tires...

I think it is a pity than this faction is different than others (i.e. #375 castle soldiers or #383 lord soldiers), because they cannot be employed with other sets to make a consistant army.
Then, sorry but I don't like the torsos... :)

A question: it seems to me that this set is the first with dark grey parts (I am sure it is the first of the catle line with dark grey accessories), but I haven't checked... Could anyone confirm??
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Jyp wrote:A question: it seems to me that this set is the first with dark grey parts (I am sure it is the first of the catle line with dark grey accessories), but I haven't checked... Could anyone confirm??
There is already a dark grey pickaxe and shovel in the 374 "Firestation" from 1978. (If the corresponding US-version of this set 590 "Engine Co. No. 9" indeed was released already in 1977 there have been dark grey elements even earlier. Actually I doubt the stated date of release on Lugnet...)

In 677 the first dark grey castle helmets appeared, though.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Infyrana
Villein

Post by Infyrana »

I really love this set. It is a nice design and acttually it is nice not to have to bother about paper stickers like for teh 375 set. It would be very nice if lego could rerelease this set as a legend even if it would mean slightly different shades of grey.
Best regards, Infyrana
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Well again it's another minifig set and therefore like any other minifig set it's usefull. Of course it's a bit mystic since it's one of the first Castle sets. One thing that always bugged me about it why is those army of minifigs which are the easiest to get from the old ones never had some kind of a structure. I wasn't impressed with the cart when my friend bought it when we were kids but it was already around 86-7 when he bought it and by then we had better stuff. I guess for ending of 70's begining of 80's the cart is nice.

I don't grade minifigs set cause it's pointless.

Happy Passover everybody :lol:
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Ah yes, my first castle set. My cousin Nicolai from Copenhagen sent me one for my birthday in 1978. Wow, I opened that exactly 27 years ago today! My how time flies. These were my first minifigs of any kind. I played the heck out of these little troopers. My original set figs all have cracks in their torso around the arms. I have about 80 of the "blue" guys now. For the last 20 years I have had round 1x1s taking the place of their legs and they have been dwarves. Lately I have been "reclaiming" them.

This set brings back my fondest Lego memories. What a follow up to last week's set! 11 stars out of 10, only good ole' #375 could rank higher. This is old school, this is true Classic Castle!
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I just completed a few trades in the past month or so to land me two of these "sets" (plus one more on the way :wink: ). One is complete with instructions (677), the other was missing the four shields & no instructions, but is otherwise complete. I must say I am very impressed with these... not necessarily the 'set', but the minifigs... I absolutely love the Classic Castle minifigures... I think it has been said before, but simplicity is best... its too bad they don't make minifigs in factions like this anymore. I now have an 'army' of 15 of these little guys... 3 came within the three 0016 sets I had also received in trades... Image

100/10...better than the new stuff...

I love Classic Castle, I love Classic Castle, I love Classic Castle...
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

This was my first ever castle set. I convinced my parents to buy me two more. Since then I've added figs through bricklink and ebay. These are absolutely the best figs ever made by Lego. The colors and style are simple yet powerful. <sniff> I love this set!
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

The Blue Knight wrote:Ah yes, my first castle set. My cousin Nicolai from Copenhagen sent me one for my birthday in 1978. Wow, I opened that exactly 27 years ago today! My how time flies. These were my first minifigs of any kind. I played the heck out of these little troopers. My original set figs all have cracks in their torso around the arms. I have about 80 of the "blue" guys now. For the last 20 years I have had round 1x1s taking the place of their legs and they have been dwarves. Lately I have been "reclaiming" them.

This set brings back my fondest Lego memories. What a follow up to last week's set! 11 stars out of 10, only good ole' #375 could rank higher. This is old school, this is true Classic Castle!
I love reading posts like yours. I was too young to have had this set, but I always like to read about the fond memories others had with sets. That was a great post.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I wouldn't pass up a set of these figs - great classic style open and play ...
8/10.
Cheers
SirBert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Redaxe wrote:These are absolutely the best figs ever made by Lego.
I've noticed a lot of people have said this, but personally, I have to disagree. I like the shield design and the light gray sword and helmet are cool, but I really dislike the torsos. Why? Well, I, for one, have never liked plain torsos with faction emblems printed on them. I prefer castle torso like printed maille, or a breastplate, or something like that, not designes already printed on the shield the fig is carrying. Also, the design is just so...plain.

Of course, since I am only 16, these figs also have no sentimental effect on me, just like the Classic Space figs, which I think look dopey.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

*EDIT* w00t! 1700 posts! 8)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].