RP Character Inspiration

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Dragoman
Laborer

RP Character Inspiration

Post by Dragoman »

Okay, so here the question:

What inspirers you to make those great RP Character you guys have? Is there a process that goes through when you come up with a character or dose it just come to you.

Also do you make the fig and then the Character or do you make Character and then the fig?

I get my ideas form books, movies and a little of my own personality is added.
I thought of Arthus and Jedrek after I made the figs and I purposely made them almost complete opposites in background.
Theron however, was a work in progress. Both the character and the fig were being made at about the same time and he just kept evolving. Even now Theron’s fig is somewhat different then when he was originally posted. Not that much though, all I did was change his arms from red to black and I gave him a real Shadow Knight Torso rather then that sticker he had. I’ll give a photo when I get the chance.

As for the character: I endowed him with some of my more darker and more violent qualities :twisted:
He’s also based after a mixture of my favorite (most not at all) good guys. Like the Predator, Riddick, Darth Maul, and several characters from Norse and Greek Mythologies.
"a man will give his life for a mystery, but not a question mark."
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

I don't do RP, but I think your characters are pretty great Dragoman. I can't wait for the next part of the story by the way.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Good question.
Sir Valric was my own creation but is alot like Conan the barbarian only more tame.

Weigraf was also my own idea but the character himself in the ccrp was like the Weigraf from the game FinalFantasy Tactics.

Belzzar is sorta like a count from Transylvania and as cruel as the real Dracul was :wink:

Pythos is your standard nutty evil wizard. Just maybe a bit more nutty then the others still alive :wink:

Kale is just a greasy soldier who hates everything
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

HenrytheV wrote:I don't do RP, but I think your characters are pretty great Dragoman. I can't wait for the next part of the story by the way.
A reader? A fan, maybe.... :D

As to the original question, Dragoman, I guess the characters are formed from the soil of the mind, which is probably well-fertilized by the creations of others (real novelists, movies, historic figures...).

The Old Man and the Sorceror-king, for instance, were transplanted from my (stagnant) novel-world, and were transferred more-or-less complete. Basically, they were just your standard good/bad sorcerors.

Sir Dractor was a transplant as well, but from my LEGO games of younger days. Then he was the red-helmed Royal Knight from 6090. His character, as far as I know, is pretty much my own creation (hmm... MOC). One thing that DIDN'T survive the transition was his ability (inherited from some dubious DM ancestors) to turn into a Dragon. :twisted:

Jayko was more or less taken, spur of the moment-like, from the general conception floating around the forums at the time of Jayko being a babyish Jellybean knight. And he was... although I have since been working to build him into a noble, if overly idealistic in his beliefs, young man.

Thomas is sort of a generic young man at the moment. Basically your typical young Luke Skywalker/Frodo Baggins/Garalt nice good guy young person, who I can mould into whatever I choose. Probably the next Sir Dractor... :lol:

My other characters were generally created to fill a specific NEED in the story. Eg., I needed a Cavalier officer, bang! I get Quorandis. I needed a victim for the Wizardsbane, so Elwen was there from the beginning. Thomas needed a family, so I got Harold Brakespear. And while I have tried to flesh out the characters somewhat, and while some (most notably Elbadar and Quorandis) have taken on lives of their own, their original function was to fill a certain role.

And, with the exception of my soon-to-come new head villian, I think that the majority of my characters will belong to that category.

Except for those, who like Jayko I create for the fun of it. Definitely watch for those! 8)

By the way, great thread, Dragoman!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Formendacil wrote:As to the original question, Dragoman, I guess the characters are formed from the soil of the mind, which is probably well-fertilized by the creations of others (real novelists, movies, historic figures...).
I was going to say something to that extent, but not so poetically. :wink:
Formendacil wrote:Thomas is sort of a generic young man at the moment. Basically your typical young Luke Skywalker/Frodo Baggins/Garalt nice good guy young person, who I can mould into whatever I choose.
*pictures Frodo wielding a light saber and shouting at Formethian: “You killed my father!”* :lol:
Formendacil wrote:By the way, great thread, Dragoman!
Indeed. Now, my take:

I have always loved the Forestmen. When I was young and sat in a giant pile of LEGO and got out my castle stuff, the Forestmen would always be the noble rogues, always batting the Black Falcons and Crusaders (Note that the hostility I developed between my Forestmen and Crusaders carried into the Roleplay itself. Accident? I think not). Anyway, my love for the Forestmen obvious meant that my first roleplay character would be a Forestmen. This started with Jethro Argus Tahmyll in the pre-roleplay and continued on into Bjarn. I made Bjarn first as a minifig, and then molded a short bio around that figure. The old Obi-Wan head looked kinda grumpy, so I gave Bjarn a gruff attitude. Also, Yoda’s shirt looks quite rumpled, so I made Bjarn a wanderer. Beyond that, I didn’t have anything planned for him. I do remember two other specific reason why I made Bjarn the way he was. First: Bjarn’s large amount of weaponry. I wanted someone who could really kick butt, and what better way to kick butt that with a ton of different weapons? Secondly: Bjarn’s age. When I made Bjarn and the roleplay was just starting up, Bjarn was the oldest character by at least ten years. Why did I make him so old? Well, as you all probably know, I always sheer away from anything stinking of stereotypical, and a 20-something with a bad attitude, a lot of weapons and an urge to wander didn’t strike me as unique. And so, I chose the older age.

Other than that, I had nothing else planned for Bjarn, nothing laid out. I simply set him free and let him do what he wanted. All that what Bjarn has become now has been written and molded by myself and other roleplayers after some event was triggered. Sometimes, the event is really small. For instance, the whole idea of Bjarn being excommunicated from the Forestmen was inspired the these to lines (paraphrased):
“Are you a Forestmen?” asked Reno, noted the elk on the shield.

“Once.” said Bjarn.
When I wrote that post, I had no plans to have Bjarn excommunicated, but it developed that way. Another example: the death of Isaac. Sith35, the creator of Isaac, only noted that Isaac was Bjarn’s cousin, he never said anything about the dispute between him and Bjarn. I added all that, and the part about Bjarn being next in line to the Forestmen throne. Just think, if Isaac hadn’t been created (and then killed, later), where would Bjarn be now?

One last example would be the development of J’anrya and the conflict between Bjarn and Green Fox, and the involvement of Jack Craft and Voolmark. When I read the post by Green Fox (the roleplayer, not the character) where Bjarn punches Green Fox, I thought “Now why would Bjarn do that? Bjarn wouldn’t punch someone just because they had stolen a few coins and a hat.” Wham. Enter J’anrya and the whole plot behind that. Later, when both Forester3291 and Jack Craft (the roleplay member) hinted at their characters knowing Bjarn in the past, I expanded that, and brought them into the J’anrya plot.

Now, after over a year of roleplaying and development, Bjarn’s potential for development has basically been exhausted. All of his once mysterious past has been revealed. Now there’s only his future to develop, and in this mode of real-time roleplaying, that is a tedious thing to do. So, at the end of the Lost Stars Chronicle, I retired Bjarn to peaceful status of Moderator Non-Player Character. Don’t worry, Bjarn isn’t forgotten, no sir. He will make frequent cameo appearances, and already has, as in when Sir Dractor popped in for a visit. And expect to see him a the Emperor’s Ball! :D

Bjarn, for such a long time, was my sole character. In fact, until the arrival of Daimyo and the (in)famous entrance of Break and later Radjar, none of the roleplayers had multiple characters. But when the Misfits were breaking up and Bjarn was caught between a fading plot (the Misfits Era) and another plot neither he nor I wanted him to get involved in (the Fell War), I created four more characters: Lord Void, Shainya, Dale and Majisto. Thus began a lukewarm plot that was later to be called Dragonlust. Now, to tackle each of my new characters one by one:

Lord Void was meant to be exactly what he is now: an evil wizard. But though he started up as one with no depth and treading dangerously near stereotypical-ness, he soon bloomed (so to speak) into the sarcastic, scheming, ironic, calculating powerful sorcerer that he is. And I must say, he is one of my favorite characters.

When Shainya was created, Nikos Dametreos, the creator of the Classic-Castle Roleplay, was still roleplaying himself, and we soon began discussing a romance between Shainya and Reno. So basically, Shainya’s ‘fate’ was decided for her from the very beginning. It’s just taken the progression of many plots and months for this to come to fruition. Perhaps, since her future was already planned out for her, her potential was squashed some, and I must admit, she isn’t as fun to write as most of my other characters. It’s probably because she’s a girl, and I’m not. Of course, I’m not a forty-year-old man or an evil sorcerer, but at least they are male.

This brings me to Dale. Dale was fated from the start. I never intended to develop him much. He was just going to be a roadblock between Shainya’s and Reno’s romance. And he was. I killed him off (my first, in fact, registered character to get killed by me) and buried him, never intending to do anything else with him. Then…Micah dug him up, and turned him from a 2D roadblock into a compelling character. I might take pity on Dale and un-trap his spirit from Reno’s cursed sword…but then, I might not…that could become a quite useful plot development later on.

Next there is Majisto. Majisto was like Dale in many ways, except for one thing: I hadn’t planned his death from the start. His incineration just happened to seem right when the moment came, so I went ahead and killed him, since he was no use to me. Majisto was also one of my first ‘inside-jokes’, since he is basically the same wizard from the LEGO Company’s Dragon Master sets.

Whoa! :shock: I can’t believe I just spent all that time writing this post! I’ll stop for now and tackle some of my other characters later!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Dragoman
Laborer

Post by Dragoman »

Thanks guys, this was very interesting.
HenrytheV wrote:I don't do RP, but I think your characters are pretty great Dragoman. I can't wait for the next part of the story by the way.
Wow, a complement on my characters and my role playing, thank! At least I know I don’t totally suck at this. :wink:
"a man will give his life for a mystery, but not a question mark."
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Hey, I'd just like to say that I really like this thread. Great idea. I'll be stopping in latter no doubt with my actual answer to the question.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:*pictures Frodo wielding a light saber and shouting at Formethian: “You killed my father!”*
Heheh. Good one, but shouldn't it be: "You killed my gaffer!"
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Whoa! :shock: I can’t believe I just spent all that time writing this post! I’ll stop for now and tackle some of my other characters later!
Alright, addition number two!

Rosa was also one of my inside jokes, but she lasted a lot longer than Majisto. Rosa was also created as a replacement for Shainya. You see, the moment Shainya was created, Daimyo was intent on coupling Shainya with Radjar ( :shock: ). I had already plans to create Rosa, so I moved my plans forward and created her so Radjar could chase after her and not Shainya. Well, that relationship obviously didn’t work out. Rosa, technically speaking, is the second named character to enter the roleplay, behind Reno. She’s also in the first ever post to the RP, the one where Reno saves Rosa from a pirate. Also, I think, Rosa is the first character to be revived from stagnation. She was registered long before Micah revived Logon, Alex and Dale. Rosa’s whole personality of a man-hater with a skill with a knife came from the fact that Reno found her with plate armor on, which, Nik noted, “was very uncommon for a lady to wear”. Rosa is fun to write whenever I feel in there beat ‘em up mood, but all the other times she seems out of place. Unfortunatly, being a pre-defined character, Rosa can’t do much except get into fights. But I develop and mature her, she will loose her idenity. So for now, Rosa will keep on slicing and dicing, and developing little.

Anyone remember Kellenwyn? You know, that Forestmen official who got slaughtered by BloodVaine? Well, if you did, good for you! I’m not sure why I ever registered Kellenwyn, and there’s really not much to say about him except he’s my second registered character to be killed.

The Lone Falcon can be credited as the longest cameo appearance ever in the RP. That’s all what he was meant to be, a simple Black Falcon who pops in in between fighting off Smelly Ogres for a brief tongue-in-cheek hello and then vanishes again. Well, it wasn’t to be. The Lone Falcon was dragged into the Return Of The Bulls epic, and before he could slip away he got stuck in the BloodVaine War, and then was trapped in the Black Falcon political plot. Now, at last, with those done, perhaps he can return to the simple life of Ogres and Sortings.

Gerrik was simply a handle, nothing more. He was created so I could have a hand in the Return Of The Bulls epic. However, the Lone Falcon manages to keep that role, and so Gerrik really never evolved much. And I don’t have anything planned for him now, except governor of Bull Isle.

Viktor Oz was supposed to be my next Bjarn. He went through many incarnations before he became the KK2-defender that he now is. In fact, when I first built him as a figure, I had no intension to incorperate him in the RP. Here are two posts that I wrote and rejected before coming up with Viktor’s entrance post where he is decommissioned:
Grid: L-8

The storm was huge, a god of storms. It was a storm that made the freak blizzard created by BloodVaine look like a morning frost. It was the Perfect Storm, a deadly mixture of magic and precise natural weather conditions. Rain in the west, snow in the north and a warm tropical front combined into flurry of sleet and snow that consumed all of upper Dametreos.
No one in there right mind would have been out in a storm like this. But there was someone out in this storm. Someone who had no choice.

Viktor Okzskcarouldghf probably should have considered his options before attacking three men in a crowded in tavern in a forgien territory, but Vikor rarely paused to think at all when someone insulted his noble native land of Eastern Knight's Kingdom, also called Knight's Kingdom II by the uneducated layman. Breathing the word 'Jellybean' would send him into a rage, and don't be around when someone starts singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in Viktor's presence.

Now, drenced to the bone, with icicles starting to form on his scratchy beard and up to his chest in snow, Viktor's temper was considerbly cooled and his mind of capable of rational thought. Now, however, instead of comtemplating a plan to save himself from pnemonia and lost of limb due to frostbite, Viktor was content to curse anyone and everyone back ten generations for his ill luck.

"Tyco megabloked jack stone son of a shifty-brick intellbloxed buildit timmy..."

This tirad continued until Vikor's feet (and the air around him) was blue. At last, when the realisation of imminate death hit Viktor, he got a grip and attempted to get his bearings. He concluded he was in the middle of a snow storm (which was right), somewhere in Dametreos (which was also right), and probably a hundred miles from any town (which was wrong).

These mental processes aided him little, and he was left to only to options; to die now, or to continue onward and die later. Neither option was pleasing.
Grid: I-8

"A flash of steel. A rustle of cloak. Bows grow taunt, spears are readied. They are coming. The legends of Dametreos, the underdog heroes. The men who were outcasts, betrayed by friends, assassins, empires and lies. Nothing can stop them. Armies flee from them, whole nations tremble. Ships are hijacked, dragons tamed. Pirates defeated, kings shamed. They are the Misfits!"

The drone of the bard's blurred into the distance as Viktor downed another pint.

"You'd better get rid of that fool before he scares off customers." the scruffy warrior advised the bartender.

The bartender, who was a fat, bald man with a grin wide as his girth chuckled deeply.

"Ol' Scribbles isn't t'aint no 'arm to no one."

Viktor's eyebrows rose. "If I'm not mistaken...what you just said was a...let me see...and quadruple negative."

"Wot?"

Viktor signed and downed his burgundy and wiped his lips before explaining.

"What you are saying, literally, is that this Scribbles is a harm to someone."

"Wot?"

"Oh nevermind!"

Viktor turned away from the bartender, who was still grinning, and let his eyes sweep over the dingy interior of the The Bestest Inn In Varlindale. Truely, that was the inn's name.

"I tell 'e, this storm can't get any worser!" piped up the bartender, reffering the raging winter snowstorm outside.

"Worser isn't a word." mumbled Viktor. He was tired of this grammer-impared town. Just his luck he would get stuck in a town where the most exciting thing that happened was the rumor the mayor slept with the baker's daughter.
The Viktor of the first post was closer to what Viktor is now (the KK2 defender), but starting him out in a snowstorm just didn’t seem right. Also, it made Viktor look dumber that I wanted. The Viktor of the second post had no hint of what Viktor is now, except for his appearance, and is more of a controlling anal-retentive grammar freak than anything else. Again, not the approach I was looking for. So I wrote his decommissioning post, planning all sorts of great plans for him. Then the Lost Stars Chronicle started up and Viktor was abandoned while I gave Bjarn one last hurrah. Then, with that plot complete, I returned to Viktor and defined him as the person he now is. Now, that worked for the first ten posts or so, but there’s only so many times Viktor could beat up a KK2-hater before it got dull. So now Viktor is stuck in the same situation that Rosa is in. Develop them, and they lose their character. Leave them be, and they get predictable. And so, once this issue with Targon and all the rest is dealt with, Viktor and Rosa may go off on unrecorded adventures while I focus on other characters.

Ajaxx Dragonsbane, Japheth, Opal and Morgue were all created out of necessity: to save Lord Void from MNPC-dom. Oops. I’ve said too much. Anyway, I’ll talk more about these characters once this plot is completed.

Now to some other characters who are not registered:

Vanderdious seems to be quite a hit. Both Mike and Nick have said that Vander is a really cool character and one of their favorites, and I have to agree. Funnily enough, I never intended him to be anything more than a minor Rebel member, like Gaffner or Forden, but he just stuck and grew on me until he became the Lone Falcon’s second-in-command. And now that he’s freed from the Black Falcon political plot, expect to see him in a new epic, possibly as a registered character this time!

Elsa Byrd is, without a doubt, fun to write. I mean, who else can slap Lord Void without getting incinerated? Not many. Elsa Byrd was created when I was spoofing left and right, and the day after I saw the Pixar movie The Incredibles, I knew I had to create a Edna Mode parallel. Enter Elsa Byrd. She’ll probably never do much more than annoy people and sip ice tea, and designing the Fire Breathing Fortress is probably the biggest involvement she’ll have in any plot, but I’ll keep her handy to make entertaining cameos once in a while.

Hans Lentawl: This LEGOland Junior Archivier will always will have a special place in my heart. I mean, how can you not like your alter-ego? Hans made his entrance in the Lost Stars Chronicle, and aided Randolph briefly in his quest, but hasn’t really done a lot by himself yet. That will change soon. :twisted: Also, one last point: if you haven’t figured it out by now: Hans Lentawl is an anagram of Nathan Wells. Cool, huh? 8)
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Well let’s start at the very beginning. A very good quote to steal.

In the beginning there were three characters bouncing around in my mind. Three characters who I thought would be fun to Roleplay.

Gib came about in a strange manner really.

First of all, I had made this MOC you see. I’m not sure where the inspiration for it came for it, but the MOC was a dragon I had modified to answer the question: Could you use a dragon as a beast of burden? Well I figured a dragon wouldn’t take to that kind of heavy lifting so he’d have to have some sort of restraints. The result was this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=882672
He’s got a muzzle, a choke collar, a pair of shredded/clipped wings, a de-spiked tail and a heavy load. I started playing around with it, trying to think of how the dragon could escape… and the result was the first few scenes of Gib’s story. But this wasn’t the only inspiration for Gib.

In addition I was making this bear at about that time and I already had a wolf…(I guess I’ve always had a thing for animals) So I decided to make him a hermit who could talk to animals, living in a forest. In a way, he’s sort of based on myself. Reclusive, animal loving, easily given to being cold and ill tempered… Well, you get the idea.

So what does this have to do with the dragon, you ask? Well I needed a place to have this “Dragon-escapes-his-captors” battle and since Gib didn’t have anything to do I decided to have it happen in the Neverwood. It was a decision that would start me down a line of thought. One that would end in the seeds of Gart’s character and the history between him and Gib… So as a result of all this scheming and daydreaming I had a pretty good idea of Gib’s whole story before his first chapter was posted. Some things weren’t set in stone. For instance, BloodVaine’s role was originally held by Majisto in my mind. And The story was never going to leave the neverwood or involve a nationwide war. I never planned for Gib to kill BloodVaine. But then, sometimes plans change in a game like this.

I didn’t know what I was going to do with Gib after his first story was over and it may be evident in how I handled him after the war. Sorta misguided, aimless wanderings until Port Jozef. But that segment wasn’t a total waste of time and served to plant the seeds of what would become The Twin Pendants Venture.

Now, Gib’s being pretty quiet, but I’ve got plans for him and his status will be changing before long.
~
Thenais is another oddity. I’m not sure where his inspiration came from, but unlike Gib he only has one story in him and when that story is over, he’s going to retire for good. Of course you all know how he became grossly neglected around the end of the war and I’m still catching up and filling in missed parts of that gap. Still, Thenais’s story will have an ending and when it’s over I’m gonna sit back and say, Way to go, Thenais.
~
One
Two
Three

The third person I had in my mind really comes before Gib or Thenais in terms of submitting. For even though I had them all in mind simultaneously I chose to submit him first, foreseeing the possible controversy and knowing my other two would more likely to be accepted.

So thinking I submitted my very first char and my very last post with Wally Tompson.

Wally Tompson… What can I say? He was the best char that never was. I bit of a joke and a bit of an insult to hippies, he was real cool, but he just didn’t seem to fit in. Yes, even from the outset things looked bleak for the time-stranded flower child, and after a short lived pro-hippie campaign, Wally Tompson was resigned to the role of a Wasn’t and left to live on in the memory of those who read that first post so long, long ago.

Wow, that was surprisingly poetic for me! Now if I could just channel this into a RP post….
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Formendacil wrote:[My other characters were generally created to fill a specific NEED in the story. Eg., I needed a Cavalier officer, bang! I get Quorandis. I needed a victim for the Wizardsbane, so Elwen was there from the beginning. Thomas needed a family, so I got Harold Brakespear. And while I have tried to flesh out the characters somewhat, and while some (most notably Elbadar and Quorandis) have taken on lives of their own, their original function was to fill a certain role.
Well, it's a late night, and I should be in bed, but this thread speaks to me. (Seriously, it's saying "pass the doritos"), and I feel compelled to illustrate some of these "need-fillers" a bit better.

Bernard Quorandis is one of my favourite characters. A bit snooty, far too successful for any fairness, and a nice chap to be around, even with that.

Bernard was created in reaction to Jayko. Jayko had been a passing fancy, intended to annoy Elwen. Of course, once I decided to have him fall into infatuation where she was concerned, and decided that she would never, ever, return his affections, it seemed like a good idea to have an alternative on hand.

There was also the fact that I needed another, final, stop in the Sorceror-king/Old Man quest. I decided I wanted Elwen to fall for a Classic, so Talistrand it was. The Emperor got killed around that time, and since I had mentally decided that Quorandis was a rather patriotic sort, and because the BVE had not quite gone sour I wanted in on that, that it was only fitting that the quest be put on hold.

That meant making Quorandis a far more prominent leader than I had intended, but as the ranking Cavalier left on Classic soil (as the Talistrani commander), he pretty much HAD to take command.

So one thing led to another... and POUFF! you had Bernard Quorandis as one knows him today.

With quite a few of my characters, this has been the process they followed. Sir Dractor was pre-defined (and turned out well), the Old Man and the SK were as well (and turned out not so well), but the rest have gone with the flow....
Ayden
Apprentice

Post by Ayden »

All my characters are 100% originalt made by me, including thier names. :D