The C-C.com CheckMate Chess Contest! *Now with PRIZES!*

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

The C-C.com CheckMate Chess Contest! *Now with PRIZES!*

Post by SavaTheAggie »

In honor of the new LEGO chess set (and to make up for causing a public panic about glue :oops:) I am pleased to announce the Classic-Castle.com CheckMate Chess Contest!

What is the Classic-Castle... ugh... C6 Contest? I'm glad you asked!

Category 1: Chess Piece

Create a single chess piece, any medieval style theme. This would include Castle, Ninja, Ancients, etc.

Category 2: Chess set

Create all 16 pieces needed for one Chess faction. This includes 8 pawns, 2 rooks, 2 knights, 2 bishops, 1 queen and 1 king. Any medieval style theme is allowed.

The Rules:
  • All pieces MUST be compatible with the new LEGO chess board. That means the base of each piece must NOT exceed or overlap a 4x4 stud square.
  • Each piece must NOT exceed or overlap a 1 stud margin in any direction beyond the 4x4 base.
  • To make it abundantly clear, since some are missing it: The base of each piece can't be bigger than a 4x4 square. The rest of the piece cannot be bigger than a 6x6 square and cannot go beyond 1 stud past the 4x4 base restriction.
  • Chess set entries must be able to be placed on the LEGO chess board without its pieces tipping each other over in any configuration.
  • There is no height restriction.
  • There is no piece restriction.
  • Colors count - try to be coordinated.
  • You may enter up to two entries in the two categories.
  • LDraw images are acceptable but these entries must use readily available pieces, not large quantities of rare pieces, colors, or figures.
***Submit entries by replying to the entries post found HERE. If you have more than one picture for your entry, please only post one picture in this thread and link to your offsite gallery of other images.***

***Please limit posted images in this thread to 400x400 pixels. Larger images may be used for greater detail, but must be only linked to offsite, and may not exceed 800x600 pixels.***

***Larger pictures than 800x600 may disqualify the entry.***

Prizes:

-Category 1: Chess Piece

---Set #2586 Chess King

-Category 2: Chess set

---Set #2586 Chess King
---25% off any one order (up to $25) at Troy's Surplus LEGO

CC will ship prizes USPS Priority up to $4 to anywhere in the USA. Winners outside the USA and/or where shipping is more than $4 will pay the difference.

The Deadline:

Midnight (CC server time) July 6, 2005

Judging:

The Classic-Castle.com admins will decide the winner(s), and thus are ineligable to enter.

Winners will be decided using a simple voting system.

Good luck and Leg Godt!
---------------------------------------------

The admins reserve the right to change the rules, deadline and anything else regarding to this contest for any reason at any time.
Last edited by SavaTheAggie on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:47 am, edited 15 times in total.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Norro
Councilor

Re: The Classic-Castle.com CheckMate Chess Contest!

Post by Norro »

Quick question:

Can the entry in cat 1 can be part of the cat 2 entry?

God Bless,

Nathan
Rosh.Gonff
Apprentice

Post by Rosh.Gonff »

what does TBA for prize mean?
Gonff Prince of Mousethieves

You say you will fight to the last man. I have more last men then you
Dragoman
Laborer

Post by Dragoman »

This sounds like fun!

Ok thinking of ideas. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm… Perfect, now I need to get off and start building. :wink:
"a man will give his life for a mystery, but not a question mark."
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Rosh.Gonff wrote:what does TBA for prize mean?
To Be Announced

Wow, this looks really cool! I might actually enter :)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

what does TBA for prize mean?
TBA = To Be Announced ;-)

This is a really great idea... I can't wait to see what some of the pieces turn out to be from you guys... ahh.. I love chess all the more now!!

Another thought - Chess players sometimes play entire chess games via e-mail or forums. Each side has a certain amount of time (a day, for example) to note their turn.... it's all done algebratically and the board is posted as the game progresses. Well, it might be cool to have such a game in the future - using the lego board to record results...but just a thought. I don't want to hijack this thread.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Bloody Jay
Foot Soldier

Post by Bloody Jay »

Hmmm... this is a tough one! I'll have to give it a shot, though. Great idea for a contest!
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

I am so in on this. One clarification:
Each piece must NOT exceed or overlap a 5x5 stud square above the base.
By "above the base" you mean the base must not exceed 4x4, but a 1 stud overlap in 2 directions for like weapons and stuff is acceptable, correct?
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

:D :D :D I can't wait to see who wins! I'll enter most definitely. One question, though: will picture quality be judged? Or do the pictures just have to be "readable"? Also (okay, two questions :wink: ), is there a limit to the ammount of pictures we can post of one entry?
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
The Yeti
Laborer

Post by The Yeti »

are they suppossed to be brick built or minifigs?
also, do the faces of the pawns have to be uniform?
Funny things DO happen--just never when you need them...
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Norro wrote:Quick question:

Can the entry in cat 1 can be part of the cat 2 entry?
Yes.
Rosh.Gonff wrote:what does TBA for prize mean?
Already answered, but for the sake of completeness...

To Be Announced.
BreadMan wrote:I am so in on this. One clarification:
Each piece must NOT exceed or overlap a 5x5 stud square above the base.
By "above the base" you mean the base must not exceed 4x4, but a 1 stud overlap in 2 directions for like weapons and stuff is acceptable, correct?
I've edited the rules so its a little bit more clear. It is now a 1 stud overlap, though it was only a 1/2 stud overlap. But yes, the base cannot be bigger than 4x4, but the rest of the piece may overlap by 1 stud in any direction.
eNiGMa wrote::D :D :D I can't wait to see who wins! I'll enter most definitely. One question, though: will picture quality be judged? Or do the pictures just have to be "readable"? Also (okay, two questions :wink: ), is there a limit to the ammount of pictures we can post of one entry?
As with any contest, if we can't see the entry, we can't judge it (and thus it won't score high). Do your best to take good pictures, but as long as we can see the entry reasonably clearly, picture quality will not affect the entry's score.

No, there is no limit to the number of pictures you can have to display your entry, but please only post one picture to this thread and if you have more link to the rest off-site (i.e. your corrisponding Brickshelf gallery or personal website)
The Yeti wrote:are they suppossed to be brick built or minifigs?
Either.
also, do the faces of the pawns have to be uniform?
Your call. The pawns should look enough alike so that they can be identified as a piece type. This goes for all piece types. One knight should at least resemble the other, etc.

A good example -

You could have a mini catapult as one rook and a mini battering ram as the other. As long as they were closely the same color and size, and since they're both siege engines, then it'd be ok.

If one knight was a warrior on horseback and the other knight was a dragon, that wouldn't be ok, since they're too dissimilar.

If that's not clear enough, let me know and I'll try to explain it better (or get someone else who can!)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

The Yeti
Laborer

Post by The Yeti »

are ninjas allowed?
Funny things DO happen--just never when you need them...
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

The Yeti wrote:are ninjas allowed?
It originally stated that Any Theme was allowed, so that would have included Ninja.

But since this is Classic-Castle, I've limited the entries to anything in the medieval style. This would include Ninja.

--Anthony

Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This contest is a cool idea!
SavaTheAggie wrote: [*]All pieces MUST be compatible with the new LEGO chess board. That means the base of each piece must NOT exceed or overlap a 4x4 stud square.
Hehe, that's like a vignette-vignette :-)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
The Yeti wrote:are ninjas allowed?
It originally stated that Any Theme was allowed, so that would have included Ninja.

But since this is Classic-Castle, I've limited the entries to anything in the medieval style. This would include Ninja.

--Anthony
When you say medieval, do you mean past Charlemagne, or anything with swords and spears (basically I'm asking if we can do ancient themes)?