Weekly Set Review: 6102 Castle Mini-Figures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: 6102 Castle Mini-Figures

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6102 Castle Mini-Figures.

Castle Minifigures was released in 1985. It has two falcon soldiers, one falcon archer, two lion soldiers, one lion archer, and various shields and weapons.

Last edited by architect on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

This could possibly be the best castle minifig pack ever. Six figs of two of the most beloved factions, shields, weapons, and even quivers!

5/5
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

two words.......army builder. i don't think i need to say more. 10/10
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Minifig set with 6, well-armed, classic figs. ALL soldiers!

Nothing else to say...

Never owned it...

Parts: 8/10 (not really applicable)
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (universal): 9/10 (soldier figs are always a win)
Design (contemporary): 8/10 (it was a good era)
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall Score: 8.17/10 (B+)
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I would unload my bank account on these. I don't think I need to say any more.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

One of each shield from that era, three falcons, two lions and one "axeman"(I think they are meant to be one of the Lion King's noble's men). Two halberds, one sword, one spear, two bows. The ultimate infantry army builder, with the perhaps most respected and some of the most beautifully designed figs ever (the only one that is missing is a Shadow Knight).

The best army builder- no knights, no "unique" characters such as a wizard or witch, and men from two of the most popular armies. The only thing that is missing is a round shield. Oh, and you get your own "Jojo" spearman. 8)

A question, is it one brown and one black halberd or two black?
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

The ultimate infantry army builder, with the perhaps most respected and some of the most beautifully designed figs ever (the only one that is missing is a Shadow Knight).

The only thing that is missing is a round shield. Oh, and you get your own "Jojo" spearman. 8)

A question, is it one brown and one black halberd or two black?
To answer the questions and remarks in the quote above first.

1. Shadow knight is KKII and not classic castle as we all know. There is 20 years between them!
2. Round shield would be perfect, agree to that.
3. There is one brown halberd and one black, the BF has a brown halberd while the Crusader has the black halberd but they can be switched (black halberd looks better on black falcon).

I happen to have 2 of this set. These were not assembled by me but I purchased 2 sets back in 1984 or 1985 (bought it together with 6010 + 6011 + 6021) and I also still have their original boxes (which were opened when I was 11 years old so there are a few rips and tears) + the original small inlay catalogues that came with each set.

I must agree that this is one of the best small castle sets ever released by TLC. It could use a round shield. I consider it equal to 6103 although that set has more factions and a peasant with a pitchfork (I happen to like peasants and blacksmiths since they can be the angry oppressed faction that marches against the king and his unfair tax laws).

All in all a great set and I am happy that I decided to get 2 when they were available in the stores.

Final remark: why doesn't Lego release minifig sets anymore? I think 6105 medieval knights (in 1994) + 6031 fright force (in 1998) were the last of the bunch (apart from the Ninja sets that I personally hate). Both 6105 and 6031 were weak sets in my opinion. It would be great if they released a Viking minifig set since I can not be bothered with KKII Jayko, Vladek and Danju all added in a minifig set.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I never said Shadow Knights where in the golden age, I said it had it had all the most beautiful figs except the Shadow Knight.

Thanks for info, btw. :D

Yeah, the only minifig pack available is the Chess Set, but it is indeed wierd they dropped the idea. The only way KK1 could be great would be if it had one(without a king that is).

Ninja RULEZ!!!! 1337
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

A great minifig pack, if you love Crusaders and Black Falcons. But I prefer 6013. More factions are represented.

8/10

- Matt
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

OK I have a very great fondness for this set. As people said already it's the best minifig pack (more then 6103, I know not many will agree though). I like those minifigs alot probably cause they present for me the simple pure original armies of Castles.

10/10 can't go any better then this
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

A great army builder. I prefer 6103's variety to the two army factions of 6102, but I'd still buy this en masse if it were available today. 9/10, but I won't argue with anyone saying 10/10 (I'm just doing the gymnastics thing and leaving room for 6103 to get the perfect score uncontested).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Of course this is a great set. Not much to build with, yet six figs to play with.
The Hordesman wrote:Oh, and you get your own "Jojo" spearman.
So now it is supposed to become my officially most favourite LEGO Castle set? :-)
jamtf wrote:There is one brown halberd and one black, the BF has a brown halberd while the Crusader has the black halberd but they can be switched (black halberd looks better on black falcon).
Peculiarly I don't think so. The way I assemble my figs and armies is based upon the way the figs were assembled in the first set of a faction. Black halberds have been used only by Lion knights back then, and by the mercenary from 6010 which makes him a Lion affiliate. Additionally the Black Falcons are called "Eagle knights" here (Adlerritter), so the coincidence with the "black" doesn't count for me. :-)

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I don't like the fact that the Black Falcon's have black pants with RED hips. I like the black pants/black hips combo. Sure this is easy to remedy, but I don't know why ANY BF's were ever released with red hips.

This is still a great set, especially to build armies of Lion Knight's and Black Falcon's but I don't think it is the BEST mini-fig pack ever released. The later set that includes a peasant and forestman takes the cake.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

Jojo wrote:
jamtf wrote:There is one brown halberd and one black, the BF has a brown halberd while the Crusader has the black halberd but they can be switched (black halberd looks better on black falcon).
Peculiarly I don't think so. The way I assemble my figs and armies is based upon the way the figs were assembled in the first set of a faction. Black halberds have been used only by Lion knights back then, and by the mercenary from 6010 which makes him a Lion affiliate.
I do too but sometimes I do change or tweak things a little just to have some more different people in the kingdom. I also have some custom self assembled minifigs and they are quite different from the original factions.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, I love all of the old Classic-ish minifig sets, so I won't say that this is the best, becasue I'm not sure.

Piece wise its a great set. Six figs, soldiers (no wimpy wizards or kings), all of them nicely armed, two great factions, what more could you want?

The design? Its a minifig set, they aren't built for design.

I imagine that a kid would love this set. I know they love to have castles and such, but they also like a few plain knights (I know that historically these aren't knights, but try telling a eight year old that).

Awesome set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.