Weekly Set Review: King Leo

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: King Leo

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6026 King Leo.

King Leo was released in 2000 for Knight's Kingdom. This set contains King Leo on horseback, one foot soldier, a wall section, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

My first KK1 set. I loved the John of Mayne figure; his face is very useful, as is his torso. King Leo, on the other hand, was far too common for a King, and looked a bit too simple, though his face is brilliant. You know, I think that was the mayne (pun, awful, I know) good point of KK1: faces and figs.

8/10
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

I never got any of the "original" Knight's Kingdom sets, and I regret that now after seeing all these figs from an FOL standpoint. King Leo was far too common, but what king hasn't been? At least he comes with a horse. The soldier in this set is great, though. Good legs, great torso, cool face, a kettle helm, and a classic sword.

Overpriced. Five dollars for two figs and an outhouse!

3/5 (the soldier saved the rating from being any lower)
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Sir Kohran wrote:My first KK1 set.
It was my first too. It is useful because of the horse and figs, and the tower is good for the towers on castles.
8/10
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Army builder...

Bit of a poor army builder, what with a king, but still an army builder. Good in that it came with a horse, and the tower, while not exactly stellar, had its uses.

Parts: 6/10
Playability: 5/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 6/10
Design (now): 7/10
Nostalgia: 5.5/10

Overall Score: 6.25/10
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

A great army builder, I got 10 of these when on sale. A king without a crown is no king at all! Slap on a kettle helm, conical helm or archers helm and you have a soldier. Mix 'n match the heads among your other figs...well you get the idea.

I hate that castle wall piece :evil: If it had another fig (or 3 :D ) this would be like a castle minifig pack.....
Troy T. Moore
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

venvorskar wrote:
Sir Kohran wrote:My first KK1 set.
It was my first too. It is useful because of the horse and figs, and the tower is good for the towers on castles.
8/10
Same here.
I always wanted a Sean Connery minifig.

buildability-5 the tower is nothing much on it's own but can be added on to other mocs.

Minifigs-8 The soldier rocks and that is the only King Leo I bought in a set

Nostalgia-5 A fine set from the olde days...
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

The soldier's great. One can never have enough kettle-heads. I've always thought King Leo looks like he has pajamas on. Don't really like the guy.

Overall, unimpressive. 6/10
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmmm, I guess this set isn't bad. It was my first KK set, and I got a favorable impression of the whole line from it.

For pieces its not bad. You get the great soldier, a horse and the cheapest way to get that tower piece (assuming you want to get it). Of course, all that good stuff is countered by the fact that you get a king.

The design is actually a lot like an older set. Two figs, one on horse, a small tower-thingy.

From a little kid's point of view, this is a cool set. You get a cheep king, another knight, and a building.

So I guess this is a good set.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Man, I'm getting old.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

(putting down the new Potter book while dinner finishes up)

Useless extra pieces - this is about the figs. I whine about Yet Another Catapult, but those beat the one piece towers.

The foot soldier with breastplate print and kettle hat is always great, though I would have prefered a shield or a two-handed weapon rather than just the sword.

The king. How many crowns do you need? The standard complaint about making what should be an uncommon figure common. Putting that aside, I'm quite happy swapping out the crown for a real helmet. The king makes a fine looking crossbowman - I like the subdued colors rather than usual over-bright ones. Ain't perfect, but it ain't bad as an army builder.

7/10
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I love the footsoldier, while a king is annoying in numbers. Still, I find the king useful of many reasons; everything except crown. The head rocks more than all other elderly heads- Sean Connery! The torso makes good soldiers and legs goes well on alchemists or nobles.

The tower is useless, however. I would want another shield too.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Robin Hood wrote:
TheOrk wrote:
venvorskar wrote: It was my first too.
Same here.
It was my first KK set.
Man, everyone seems to have this as their first KK1 set. :lol:
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Jojo Wrote:
Hello!

Quote:

Man, I'm getting old.

Bye
Jojo
You and me both
If KKI is the good old days....
GrayKnight
Serf

Post by GrayKnight »

I liked this set. I think I ended up with about five or six. The horse is good. The footsoldier is good. The king is okay if you switch some stuff around (I use them for castle guards), and it comes with two swords.
It could have used another guy for the price. The tower is okay but could have been better. Another shield would have been great and the king could stand to have been switched for someone else or at least not have a crown.
Overall I would give it a 7/10