Classic-Castle Roleplay: July 2005

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

J-10 The Grand Ball Room

The floor was a revolving maze of happy couples. Feeling out of place Valric slithered over to a small bar on one side of the room. Judging by the condition of the bar and stools and the beverages no one less then nobility could afford anything. Let alone have a drink there.

Valric sighed and emptied a mug of their cheapest alcohol.
“Freshen yer drink govena?” Asked the bartender who had a very strong Royal Knight accent.

“Yeah…” Muttered Valric who was very bored now. Feeling alittle more wozzy then usual Valric stumbled off to find a nice young lass to dance with. As he made his may over in that direction the side of his head clipped something.

The closest person to him was at least foot away. Cranning his neck around to see what he hit Valric saw a huge blue and black monster. Jumping back he noticed a man behind it.

“Watch yerself yer gov’ner’ship! M’ hat needs a foot of clearance.” Said a Black Falcon with a huge case of hat hair.

“By mistake.” Replied Valric politely. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from the thing but it soon it lost itself in the crowd.

“Odd fellow…” Muttered Valric. Turning around he caught sight of another equally sized man who seemed to be wearing his armour.

“Santis?”

Santis turned from an uncomfortable looking teenager and group of Eastern Knights Kingdomers.

“Valric!?”

“Hey Mate!” Laughed Valric as the two clasped hands. A few years back when Valric was wandering around he helped the Eastern Knights Kingdomers put down alittle goblin problem.

“I was wondering if you were still alive the way you always charged in head first, I just had to save you from that troll. Then ye just vanished for five years…”

“Yeah I’m still here.Long story that, I should tell you some time. O and as I remember when I took down the troll you and the others were slapping around acouple terrified green migits!”

“True, but I never drank before a battle and stumbled after the biggest enemy without armour or a good weapon.”

“Or what about the time….” Began Valric.

“Lets change the subject!” Said Santis hastily. “Here’s some friends I’d like ye to meet…”
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

TheOrk wrote:“True, but I never drank before a battle and stumbled after the biggest enemy without armour or a good weapon.”

“Or what about the time….” Began Valric.

“Lets change the subject!” Said Santis hastily. “Here’s some friends I’d like ye to meet…”
Grid: J-10

Santis turned and and nodded toward a man next to him who had a burnt-orange beard and was garbed in the cloths of a Crusader.

"Me ol' friend, Viktor Oz-summat-or-other!"

Viktor stuck out his hand, and Valric shook it firmly.

"Pleased to me ye, Valric. How do ye know this rogue Santis?"

"He got me outta a narrow escape once or twice, during the goblin raids of 2000!" explained Santis, chugging wine.

Viktor handed Valric a beer.

"Ah, nasty tyco that. I was busy, up north, clearing out pirates with my brigade when that happened."

Valric nodded. He liked the company of Santis and Viktor. All three of them were warriors, and therefore had much in common. After Viktor had retold and extrodinary (and exaggerated, Valric mused) tale of how he had saving the Crusader princess from pirates, Viktor asked, "So, Val -- can I call you Val, 'cause I don't mind being called Vik myself, though Vikky annoys the tyco outta me -- got any tales?"
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

J-10 The Grand Ball Room
"So, Val -- can I call you Val, 'cause I don't mind being called Vik myself, though Vikky annoys the tyco outta me -- got any tales?"
“Well a few….Interestin’ ones.”

The three sat down with an assortment of different alchohol as wine, beer and rum seemed to flowing freely that night. Finishing off his beer Valric launched into a crazy story of how he went through some Fright Knight Count’s magic portal and ended up in a strange and horible world. The tale was complete with a daft Kingdom of minifigs who liked being pulled apart by a 500 foot tall ogre and being terrorized by what sounded to be a gigantic cat.

“Well now!”

Breathed Viktor. Santis nodded, apparently expecting that same answer.

“Listen here now. I know drinking yourself asleep on a daily basis is good fun and all but I think it is starting to have an effect on your brain there…”
Laughed Santis.

“The Lone Falcon would believe me…” Muttered Valric inaudably. “So hows life getting along down in the Eastern Knight’s Kingdom?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once the Ball started Count Belzzar immediately plunked himself down at nearby table to discuss buisness with some Crusader merchants. Taking a seat next to him Radu scanned the crowd warily. Since Kale did not have an invitation or would come to the ball of his own free will, Radu had to take over his position of being the Count’s bodyguard.

Soon the two merchants got up and left. “Well that went rather well…” Sneered Belzzar. He gripped his wine glass so hard it cracked. Sighing he muttered several words of magic and it repaired itself.

“Whats the problem?” Asked Radu.

“You know the same as always. Crusader farmers that have their crops a foot away from the border line are charging as much as it costs to import something from Ikros or some other place hundreds of miles away…”

Radu left Belzzar to his mutterings to get more wine. The three giants sitting at the small table next to them had drank most of it and had the waiters all occupied.

Belzzar looked around to see if there was anything to do. These Dametreosians all bored him. If any girl smiled like that at Castle Dracul she’d get a whipping. The Belzzar began wondering why many people were against the Fright Knight’s policies. Was it because they liked bats? Belzzar began scratching his head at why Minifig’s Rights Activists complained about him when one of the oafs at the next table broke his train of thought.

“Yeah that’s what happened! I think…That there Count Heindrich or whatever his name was opened up some megablox portal or some stupid goblygook like that. As I wers sayin’ me and some West Knights Kingdomers was there on a mercenary job and I ended up chopping his head off.”

“If only we could chop off all these wizards heads, the world would be a better place.” Laughed the oaf in the big red armour.

Belzzar froze. He knew his father had been killed by the same knight who complicated Pythos’ plans…”What was his name? Belzzar shot the three a murderous glare. The man’s name was Valbrick or something like that…
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Rodeny saw a knight that he had heard in his travels to be Sir Valric, and he walked over to his table with the man he had meet, " Sir Valric, I have heard of you when I've been traveling, and I would so much like to meet you. This is my friend, Jother Sudgurd," he said, gesturing to Stickle.For that was the stranger that Rodeney had meet outside the restaurant.
~
Venvorskar drifted throuout the ballroom, but still keeping an eye on Stickle. They were there because Venvorskar had sensed that Sir Valric had an important part to play in his near future, and it would be best to keep near him. Stickle had gotten himself into the company of a certain Sir Rodeny, who seemed to have an interest in Sir Valric, and was now talking to him at his table. "I need to finish this buisness with Sir Valric soon, because I sense someone else has had me much in their thoughts lately." muttered Venvorskar.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

J-10 The Grand Ball

Valric, Santis and Viktor looked at one another quickly. “Sure you can join us!” Said Valric.

“Have a drink, there seems to be a lot of it around here…”

He gestered to an empty chair. Sir Rodney’s friend Jother had to look around for one. He walked over to the next table that was occupied by two murderous looking Fright Knights.

Once stickle stepped near them. He sensed something wrong. Both of the Fright Knights seemed to be eyeing Valric of all people with obvious hate. That and he knew immediately one of them was a minifig who practiced magic on a regular basis. He knew enough about wizards to be careful.

“Excuse me sir may I have this chair?”

Belzzar looked at him “Take it if you want!” He snapped angrily.

Jother took it and sat down with the group. Valric turned to Rodney
“Well…Sir Rodney, this a good friend of mine Sir Santis of the Eastern Knights Kingdom.”

“Good to meet you Rodney!” the two shook hands.
“And this chap here is Viktor Ozikoglisghristruilium….I think?”

Viktor scnickered “ye both can just call me Viktor or Vik. I like that but not Vikky it annoys the tyco out of me.”

“Agreed!” Laughed Rodney.

“So what are you doing down here?” Asked Valric looking at Jother, who didn’t seem to be saying anything...
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

J-10

After eating, Kor was ushered with the rest of the crowd into the great ball room. In a little time, the dance floor was covered with dancing couples.

Kor decided that he didn’t really want to dance, and figured he’d head over to a small bar – where there was a small group gathered - at the side of the ball room.

“Besides” he thought “these Bat robes seem to be anti girl anyway”

After a bit of maneuvering through the many people, he reached the bar. He gulped as he looked at the huge prices, but ordered a small beer anyways.

As he sipped at the beer, he looked around at the people near him; there was a large group of what looked like Eastern Knight Kingdomers, and-
Kor stared worriedly at the two deadly looking Fright Knights, hoping they wouldn’t notice him, but it was too late. One of them – which Kor assumed was a bodyguard of the other one-, was glaring at him with a cruel smile on his face.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Hans chuckled.

“Good luck!” he called, and winked.

Adrian, looking like he would have preferred to remain at the dinner room and eat snails all night, grimaced before being swept away by Cate.
Cate grabbed Adrian's hand.

"Let's dance!" she said eagerly. Adrian pulled back.

"Cate, I'd really rather not," he said. Cate looked shocked.

"Adrian, we have been practising for weeks!" she said.

"And I really didn't want to do that either," said Adrian. "Sorry, Cate, but I'm not a dancer. I have two left feet, as you know well by now."

"So you make a mistake here and there," said Cate, "so do I. Really, Adrian, you're not bad. You're actually better than Hans- and look at him. HE actually wants to dance!"

"Well, good for him," said Adrian. "I have nothing against danciing, and I'm sure it'll be a good night, but I don't want to dance."

"Please, Adrian???" said Cate, clasping her hands, and leaning forward. "Please. This means a lot to me."

"Alright," said Adrian, in a rather subdued voice. Completely unable to do anything about it, he remained a complete sucker.

"Thank you," she said, hugging him, and led him out onto the dance floor.

~~~~~~~~~

Cate had to admit, after the dance, that Adrian wasn't an expert dancer, by any means. He was somewhat stiff and uncomfortable, and they bumped into more than a few distinguished Classic or foreign couples, to Adrian's extreme reddening. But he was quite gentle and moved slowly, in time with the music. As soon the music ended, he let her go, and started walking off the floor. Cate grabbed his hand, and walked with him.

"Thanks again, Adrian," she said. "You did fine."

"Do you promise to leave me alone now?" said Adrian, "no more dancing?"

"Why?" asked Cate. "You enjoyed it! Don't say otherwise."

"It was alright..." admitted Adrian, "but I still don't want to dance anymore. It's... not something that interests me."

"What does interest you, Adrian?" asked Cate, but Adrian was spared answering, as they reached the edge of the floor, and had come upon Hans, who was walking away from an older man in an even larger hat. Hans swept it off with a bow.

"Might I have pleasure of this dance, Milady?" he asked, then turned to Adrian, "Milord willing, that is." Cate giggled, and Adrian relinquished Cate's hand. Meanwhile, a faster beat was being struck up.

"Thanks," he said, "I owe you one."

"No," said Hans, with a grin, as he and Cate headed out to the floor, "I owe you one!"
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Formendacil wrote:"Might I have pleasure of this dance, Milady?" he asked, then turned to Adrian, "Milord willing, that is." Cate giggled, and Adrian relinquished Cate's hand. Meanwhile, a faster beat was being struck up.

"Thanks," he said, "I owe you one."

"No," said Hans, with a grin, as he and Cate headed out to the floor, "I owe you one!"

Happy to with at dance partner that, though not skilled, at least eager, Cate grinned and immediately grasped Hans' hands. Hans managed to hold back a blush and with a twirl and a bob, they began to skim across the dance floor. Cate's dress spun, and Hans' hat flopped.

"So..." began Cate, "Isn't this exciting!? Here we are, at the Emperor's Ball, dance among kings and queens!"

Cate almost squealed with delight.

"Yeah." grinned Hans. Right now he felt like he would agree to anything to Cate said. Dancing really wasn't so bad...if you danced with the right person.

"Hans!" said Cate warningly, and Hans barely managed to avoid the dancing couple of Reno and Shainya.

Reno winked and Hans winked back. Cate, thinking Hans was winking at Shainya, said, "She a nice girl? You met her at dinner?"

Cate giggled and Hans stumbled.

"No!" he said, "She's married!"

Cate giggled some more.

"Meet any available girls, then...?" she asked suggestively.

"Er..." Hans stumbled again. He had just caught a glimsp of Monique dancing with a tall, handsome, bearded Dragon Master with the marking of a Marshal. Cate giggled again.

"You have!" she said.

"Er...yeah." said Hans.

Cate continued to giggle.

"You look so handsome in that hat, Hans!"

It was nothing short of miracle that Hans' feet didn't tangle and pull them to both to the floor. Luckily, at that moment, the lively tune ended, and Hans was able to come to a somewhat stumbling, but not completely ungainly, halt. Cate cursied and Hans bowed, now hiding a flushed grin with his hat. Then they clapped politely with the other dancers to thank the musicians.

"Milady." It was the Dragon Master Hans had spotted earlier, "Might I have this dance?"

Cate barely surpressed a giggle and waved goodbye to Hans. Then they were off. A sence of dread filled Hans. If that Dragon Master was here that meant...

"Hansy! Let's dance!"

The warm bubble that had been in Hans collasped. Forcing a smile, he turned toward Monique. It would be a long night.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

In the Ballroom, Lord Void was gliding about like a wraith. Being not the sort to chat idly, and not exactly looking like one who would be an ideal dance partner, Lord Void was enjoying a relative peace. It was almost if a bubble of impenetrableness had been cast around him.

Lord Void preferred it this way. He liked simply to glide about, looking haunting and eavesdropping on other conversations. In his right hand he carried a glass of red wine, which he occasionally took sips from. He said little, if anything. He was not here to talk. Nor was he here to enjoy himself. No. He was here just to be here. To prove to all that he, Lord Void, was back. And here he was, in the Classic Emperor's own ballroom. Lord Void almost chuckled to himself at the thought. It had been the first time he had been in the Yellow Castle, invited or otherwise, for many a year.

Lord Void continued his patrol of the ballroom, circling the edges and avoiding the dance floor itself. He eyes flicked idly about, picking out familiar faces. There was Elbadar, that "independent' Dragon Master, dancing with some young LEGOlander wench. And there was that tree-hugger, Bjarn, talking with that brute Bull Barbod. And there...there was that Dragonsbane fellow.

Lord Void lifted the glass to his lips and drank. Ajaxx...Ajaxx...Lord Void rolled the name about in his mind as he rolled the wine over his tongue. A strange man, Ajaxx. A strange man indeed.

And then, for reasons unknown, Lord Void shivered. He sudden downed the rest of his wine. He could feel a disturbance, a disturbance he could not put his long, pale finger on. Minutely troubled, Lord Void set aside his glass. Then, with one last glance at Ajaxx, he turned away. Surely there must be some Batlord or something in this mundane social gathering he could converse with...
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Vanderdious withdrew a card and handed it to Hans.

“’Til we meet again, your gov’ner’ship.”

Vanderdious bowed again, and left, off to impress more guests.
The first dance had ended. Hans was eagerly making his way over to replace Adrian as Cate's (much more eager) dance partner.

He rather clumsily, for himself, made his way past a group of Eastern Kingdomers and Fright Knights. Odd companions, he thought, as he apologised for the size of his hat.

Then he stumbled into a couple just coming off the dance floor. The lady half-fell to the ground ere her partner caught her and set her on her feet.

"Are you alright, my dear?" asked the man.

"I'm fine," said the lady. "Simply knocked off my feet."

"My sincerest and most abject apologies," said Vanderdious in his finest voice and floweriest movements, "for intruding on your personal space. I can, however, hardly be helped for being attracted to your marvellous beauty."

The lady laughed, and the lord's nose twitched in amusement.

"Are you going to let him talk like that to me, Bernard?" asked the lady with a smile. "He has not only run into me, but he has also made some most immodest comments."

"Have no fear, oh Love of my Life," said Bernard with a grin, "I shall not let this churlish knave insult you so."

"Churlish knave, am I?" said Vanderdious with mock affrontery. "Good lady, I must defend my honour against this man, though you be the love of his life or no. En guarde, Monsieur Chevalier!"

Vanderdious' rapier leapt up to his hand, and was pointed at Bernard. The Commander-general reached for his own rapier.

"I shall let no man affront my wife like this! Elwen, if I may have a token of your love and affection to spur me on, I should welcome it gladly!" Elwen laughed, and daintily bestowed a small white-and-blue hankerchief on him. At his behest, it was tied around his left wrist.

"To the laughter?" Bernard asked Vanderious as he stepped back to meet him.

"Aye, yer gov'nership," said Vanderdious. "Till either you or I can contain the guffaws no longer!"

And with a cry, the two combatants launched themselves at each other, holding themselves in perfect fencing positions, and abiding scrupulously by the conventions of courtly fencing, all the while trading insults blithely.

"Clearly, I have the upper hand," said Vanderdious. "Your Gov'nership's left leg is three inches off balance. Such a grave fault cannot be expected to succeed against my skilled training."

"You are clearly an ignorant man," said Bernard, "for any fencer of discernment could see that because of my greater height and strength, the wider stance is both necessary and more aesthetically pleasing than the ballerina pose which you are striking."

"T'is better to be a ballerina than to be unable to dance at all," quipped Vanderious, "and from your shoddy footwork, one may see that yer Gov'nership must have done a grave damage to her Ladyship's feet in prior dance."

"Upon my word," said Bernard, in mock anger, "you are not only a cad, but poor of sight as well."

The two fencers both showed no sign of laughter yet- unlike their audience. All of a sudden, two young Cavaliers showed up in the circle of observers. Both Quorandis and Vanderdious could tell from a tiny piece of insignia on their shoulders that they were Cadets.

"Break this up!" came the voice of one. "No fighting, keep it clean!"

"What is this?" said Bernard, with a wide grin as he recognised the voice of Jayko Falconensis. "You would rebuke your superior officer? And in the middle of a most serious fight concerning yonder lady's honour? Fie on you, Sir Cavalier!"

"Indeed!" said Vanderdious, picking up on the flippant tone right away. "Come, Milord, let us settle with these intruders, ere we finish this trading of arms. En guarde, Messieurs Chevalier!"

Flustered, both Jayko and Arthur Vitore stepped back uncertain what to do as a very amused Commander-General and a flamboyant Black Falcon in an enormous hat advanced on them, flimsy rapiers at the ready.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:"Milady." It was the Dragon Master Hans had spotted earlier, "Might I have this dance?"

Cate barely surpressed a giggle and waved goodbye to Hans. Then they were off. A sence of dread filled Hans. If that Dragon Master was here that meant...
Cate and the Dragon Master (Elbadar, although she did not know it) twirled round the floor to a faster, although still elegant, number.

"I should perhaps introduce myself," said the Dragon Master. "I am Lord Marshal Elbadar, originally of Dragonar."

"You have elegant manners for a Dragon Master," said Cate, "and you dance quite well. I'm Cate Slacs-Sicl."

"Lady Slacs-Sicl?" said Elbadar. "I doubt if many- or any- Classics of lower standing have made it in here. Charmed to meet you all the same. You are a most pretty and charming young lady, as well as an excellent dancer. If it is not too impertinent, may I ask if you are wedded?"

Cate laughed.

"Why? Are you wedded?"

"No, and I have no intention of it either," said Elbadar with a dashing smile. "Bachelorhood suits the life of a wandering soldier. No, I am merely curious who the young man was on your arm earlier."

"Adrain. I mean, Lord Adrian Slacs-Sicl," said Cate, blushing slightly.

"Indeed?" said Elbadar with an arched eyebrow. "Not much of a dancer, is he?"

"No," said Cate, "but he gave me the first dance, anyway. Tell me, Marshal, would you ever want to settle down?"

"Maybe someday, far from now," admitted Elbadar, "when I am old and grey, and you are happily tending to a half dozen half-grown children." Cate laughed.

"So what do you intend to do between now and then?" asked Cate.

"I'd like to make my regiment known as the finest heavy infantry available in Dametreos," said Elbadar. "But I won't go into details, as I'm told that ladies are easily bored by it."

"I spend a lot of time around archivists," said Cate, "I doubt if you could bore me."

"All the same," said Elbadar, looking over her shoulder as the music was ending, "I think I shall leave you to find another partner, as I am seeing King Blackcloak standing unattended. Now might be a good time to speak with him. Thank you for the delightful dance, milady."

And with a bow, and a kiss to her hand, Elbadar strode away. Cate sighed. He was pretty charming. A pity he was so OLD. Then she caught sight of Thomas Valk standing at the edge of the floor.

"Would you dance with me, Thomas?" she asked sweetly, half-expecting him to go red like Hans and say no like Adrian. He did neither.

"I would be honoured," he said with a bow, and as the orchestra struck up the next song, out they went.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

I-10
Glestol
Culture is a strange thing. The rules of etiquette and society, acceptable behavior, change from place to place. For instance, in Bull culture it is perfectly polite to belch loudly after a meal. So doing is not only a sign that you enjoyed the meal, but a compliment to the chef. Not so in Ninjara, where the wrong table manners could bring disgrace on your entire family.

For Gib, returning to culture was a bit of a shock.

“Oh no Rigger.” Malder would quip. “You can’t go footing around in those rags anymore. You’re part of a respected Legoland family, remember. I’ll have the servants send up a real set of clothes for you.”

How ridicules the hermit looked when he hobbled into the drawing room that evening. His vest eschew, his shirt on backwards and is trousers bunched up around his splint.

The entire family was gathered there. Malder standing by the fireplace, his wife seated by Emphria and his children playing on the rug. The knight coughed when he saw his brother. “What on earth, Rigger!”

The children burst into laughter at the comical sight. This of course would normally have brought sharp looks from their mother, but she herself was quite amused at the spectacle and sat, covering her mouth in an effort to remain polite. As for Emphria, she simply sat there, a warm, motherly smile on her face. Finally Malder realized Gib’s embarrassment and hurried him out of the room.

“On the other hand, Rigger…maybe you should keep your old clothes. At least until your leg heals.”

Mealtimes were another set of culture lessons as well. The hermit was surprised to discover how much he’d forgotten. How many times did he find himself using the wrong fork or mopping up his soup with a scone? Of course these little missteps never failed to tickle the hermit’s nephews, and there were times a plenty when Gib would catch them snorting back a giggle for fear of the words: “Children, is that any way to show respect to your uncle.”

Gib of course, was always embarrassed when this happened, but in these matters Emphria was always very patient with him, showing him gently how to hold the fork or correcting whatever new mistake he had made. And as for the kids, they adored him.

Uncle Gib, they called him, the only ones in the family who didn’t call him Rigger. And Gib adored them too. Though there were times when their childish enthusiasm did get the better of him.

“Uncle Gib, what do you keep in here?”
“Hey Uncle Gib, what’s this for?”
“Why don’t you have any hair Uncle Gib?”
“Hey Uncle Gib, if we took the boards off your leg would it fall apart?”
“Uncle Gib, Uncle Gib! Guess what I fed to your bird!”

And when the hermit began to feel overwhelmed it was only a matter of time before…

“Ohf errgh oue get off! Get off of me you little whipper-snappers! Now put that down and get out! Out! Out, all of you! And stay out of my things!” * SLAM *

This gave rise to the common belief among the children. That while Uncle Gib was really fun to play with, you had to be careful not to bug him too much because if you did he’d turn into a bear and chase you out of the room.

As for Gib, he held no philosophical guidelines for his family, but would remark how he, “couldn’t remember ever having that much energy.”

To which Malder would reply: “Well that’s common among the younger four, but you’ve yet to meet the eldest two. Our daughter is away at finishing school and the future Baron Perigil is training in the Cavaliers at Orion. I think you’d find them much less likely to ware you out.”

Those were good days for Gib. Waking to the shouts of children in the morning and drifting of to the sound of distant lullabies at night. It was good to have a family again, and Gib couldn’t help but feel surrounded by an atmosphere of love. A feeling he hadn’t felt since before his father’s death.

Yes, Gib was healing in more ways then one. And perhaps learning as well. Learning how to forgive. Indeed, it seemed that if there was peace for the soul in all Dametreos, that Gib had found it.

And yet…yet with peace did not come full contentment. Many a times Gib found himself wandering the western hills on the outskirts of Glestol. Many a times he found himself longing for the familiar pathways of the forest below. Longing for the Neverwood. It was Malder who had suggested these wanderings. He said it would help strengthen Gib’s leg. And he was right too. Gib was growing stronger. He could feel the exercise working the neglected muscles in his leg. It was a good feeling and Gib felt good whenever he went wandering.

The chance to escape the inclosing halls of the estate and the rules of culture, not to mention his nephews and nieces. The chance to be alone and think, with the fresh breeze of the outdoors and bright light of the summer sun shining overhead. The hermit was seeing more and more that he couldn’t stay in Glestol. Finally he decided the time had come to leave.

That evening he had been wandering again and was late in returning home. In the growing darkness the hermit let himself in, quietly making his way up the stairs to his chamber. Gib was hoping to slip in without waking anyone, but as it happened, not everyone was asleep.

“I don’t know Serieta , lately I’ve felt as though I weren’t even her son.” It was Malder’s voice, coming from his room. The door was open a crack, and Gib who had yet to be re-cultured on the rules of eavesdropping, crept closer to hear.

“I mean, all these years I’ve stood beside her and seen to her requests. And now he comes back and it’s Rigger this and Rigger that. The way she coddles him…”

“Malder dear.” It was Serieta speaking now. “My dear, dear Malder.” The knight’s wife cooed. “Don’t you see? You have always been with her and everything she has is yours. But Rigger was thought to be dead for many years. You can’t be surprised that when he returns to life he gets a little more attention then you. Your Mother loves you, Malder. Just as much as she loves Rigger. You know that.”

“Yes, yes of course you’re right.”

“Now listen, why don’t we take Rigger with us tomorrow? I’ll bet he’s never seen the golden city.”

“Actually, he has I think, during the war. I don’t know. He doesn’t talk about it much, but I do think he’s seen it. Besides he doesn’t have an invitation.”

“Well I didn’t say he should come to the ball, darling. He’s a dear man but could you really imagine him at the Emperor’s ball? He’d probably hate it anyway. Still, there’s more reason to take him then just the trade fair. You remember the business about the Belphinigibs.”

“That’s true.” Malder agreed. “Why not. We’ll ask him to come in the morning.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next morning Malder asked Gib to come with them and the hermit did his best to act as if he hadn’t seen it coming. But when they were all set and ready to start out for Orion, Gib excused himself from the carriage and went back into the house.

“Rigger?” Emphria exclaimed when Gib entered the room. “Did you forget something?”

“No,” said Gib “but I need to speak to you and the children. Could you call them?”

“Well alright. Children!” In no time the children began wandering into the drawing room and soon they were all assembled.

“Well?” said Emphria.

Gib swallowed. “I’m afraid the time has come for me to say goodbye.”

“Well yeah!” said Fineta, the youngest of the four. “We already said goodbye to you.”

“No. No, Fineta.” The hermit said, squatting down to her level. “I won’t be coming back with your parents. I’m going to be gone for a good while and it might be a long time before we see each other aga—

Gib would have finished his sentence but the children interrupted in a chorus of incomprehensible exclamations and protests.

“Now, now!” said Gib, raising his voice and his hands. “You don’t want the bear to come out!”

Silence.

“I don’t want to see any complaints or sad faces. See, I have gifts for you all. Dergil.” The hermit said, placing his hand on the boy, eldest of the four. “My brave adventurer. I made this just for you. On a quest one must always bring a sack, to carry supplies and to hold any treasures you might find on the way. Carry it well and carry well with it. Now Rienia.” Gib turned to the next youngest. “This is for you.”

The hermit reached into the folds of his robes and produced a small glass bottle. “It’s rose oil, took me a long time to collect, but it’s the only sent I’ve found lovely enough to match your pretty face. And Larion,” The hermit turned again.

“My little animal lover. About a week ago when I was out on the western slopes this little guy befriended me. I told him about you and he said he’d like to meet you.”

Larion’s eyes grew wide as a brown furry thing snaked its way out of Gib’s cloak. “A weasel!”

Gib nodded. “He’ll eat whatever scraps of food you can slip him. Let him out at nights and he’ll find his own food. But treat him well so he’ll come back. And now for you, Finetta: the little girl with such a big imagination. You thought you were pretty sneaky slipping into my room at night and looking at my snow-globe, but I’ve been watching. I’ve noticed how much you like it. It’s yours. Now come here all of you and get a hug.” Gib growled warmly as the children gathered into the folds of his great bear hug.

“There, you see,” the hermit smiled “sometimes it’s good to be a bear. Now run along.” The children left and Gib turned to Empria. There were tears in her eyes.

“Oh Rigger are you really leaving?”

“Yes… I am, but I’ll be back and come to visit you often as I can.”

“You’re going back to the Neverwood?”

“Yes—

“But Rigger it’s dangerous!”

“Mother…” Gib wanted to say that he had been through worse then the Neverwood. He had survived the BloodVaine war, the quest of the pendants, and a virtual eternity in a demon’s dominion. That’s what he wanted to say, but Gib remembered that he’d never told her those stories. It wouldn’t make any sense.

“Mother, I’ve survived close to forty years in the Neverwood. Another one shouldn’t kill me.”

“Do Malder and Serieta know about this?”

“No, I plan to tell them in Orion. Speaking of which, we ought to be going now. Goodbye Mother.” The hermit wrapped the old woman in a long embrace and when Emphria stopped crying she stood back, straight and tall, saying:

“Take care of yourself Rigger.”

“I will, Mother.” And he was gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Well, looks like we’re late.” Malder stated as Serieta and he entered the banquet hall. “If we wouldn’t have had to stop for that broken tire and then drop Gib off at the Gaudy Goose…”

“Now Malder,” Serieta scolded. “You promised me we would enjoy ourselves tonight. Now let’s go find our friends.”

“Yes, and keep an eye out for Marcellinus as well.”

Behind the Peregils came a small procession of exotic Dragon Master nobles, headed by none other then governor Drock. The sorcerer was dressed much more conservatively then usual, having donned one of his brother’s dark blue robes for the occasion. He came to a halt just inside the doorway. “Well looks like we’re late.”

So the two parties made their way to the ball, ready for a night of class and culture
Last edited by The Green Knight on Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:"Hansy! Let's dance!"

The warm bubble that had been in Hans collasped. Forcing a smile, he turned toward Monique. It would be a long night.

Hans was, effectively, trapped.

“Er…”

“Hansy!” pleased Monique.

Now several persons were looking onward, eyeing the feuding ‘couple’.

“Oh megablocks.” cursed Hans under his breath, and stepped forward. Eagerly Monique fell into his arms, and they began to waltz around the dance floor.

“Who was the girl you were dancing with, Hansy,” demanded Monique, sugar-sweetly.

“Cate.” Hans responded, then amended, “Er, no, er, Lady Slacs-Sicl…”

Monqiue wrinkled her nose disdainfully.

“Oh. Her.” she said, almost sneering.

Hans thought it best not to say anything, and to keep his eyes on a point roughly three inches over Monique’s right shoulder.

“Do you find me pretty, Hansy?”

Hans had either coughed, gulped or gaged, for at that moment his face contorted painfully.

“Er…yeah…” he said.

Monique giggled and fluttered her eyelashes.

“I find you attractive too…” she said, and began to lean forward.

At that moment, something caught Hans’ eye, and he jerked back from the looming lips of Monique.

“I say!” he declared, suddenly gaining his ballroom-speech back, “What events unfold yonder?”

And without further ado, Hans virtually fled from Monique, leaving her scandalized and affronted. Whipping out her fan, Monique expertly and professionally executed a quick hand gesture that could only be interpreted as rude. Then she turned away in a huff, to seek out richer, more attentive men.

Hans couldn't care less about what Monqiue did behind his retreating back, just as so long she didn’t follow him. As he approached the growing crowd he could distinctly hear the light clanging of swords. He quickened his pace, and pushed his way through the crowd, his hat bobbing several nobles in the head and face. At last he had a good view of the combatants. And he recognized one immediately. It was the Black Falcon actor, Vanderdious.
Formendacil wrote:"Clearly, I have the upper hand," said Vanderdious. "Your Gov'nership's left leg is three inches off balance. Such a grave fault cannot be expected to succeed against my skilled training."

"You are clearly an ignorant man," said Bernard, "for any fencer of discernment could see that because of my greater height and strength, the wider stance is both necessary and more aesthetically pleasing than the ballerina pose which you are striking."

"T'is better to be a ballerina than to be unable to dance at all," quipped Vanderious, "and from your shoddy footwork, one may see that yer Gov'nership must have done a grave damage to her Ladyship's feet in prior dance."

"Upon my word," said Bernard, in mock anger, "you are not only a cad, but poor of sight as well."

The two fencers both showed no sign of laughter yet- unlike their audience. All of a sudden, two young Cavaliers showed up in the circle of observers. Both Quorandis and Vanderdious could tell from a tiny piece of insignia on their shoulders that they were Cadets.

"Break this up!" came the voice of one. "No fighting, keep it clean!"

"What is this?" said Bernard, with a wide grin as he recognised the voice of Jayko Falconensis. "You would rebuke your superior officer? And in the middle of a most serious fight concerning yonder lady's honour? Fie on you, Sir Cavalier!"

"Indeed!" said Vanderdious, picking up on the flippant tone right away. "Come, Milord, let us settle with these intruders, ere we finish this trading of arms. En guarde, Messieurs Chevalier!"

Flustered, both Jayko and Arthur Vitore stepped back uncertain what to do as a very amused Commander-General and a flamboyant Black Falcon in an enormous hat advanced on them, flimsy rapiers at the ready.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

J-10 The Grand Ball

Belzzar muttered darkly as he eyed the five oafs sitting at the next table. “How could the likes of them be allowed in here?” He asked Radu.

“These outlanders are the most backward people I have ever met.” Sneered Radu in response.

Belzzar felt an odd prickle, there seemed to be a disturbance in the mana flow and not from the spell he used a few moments earlier. Sitting up he scanned the room. Radu pointed out a strange young man at the bar. He wore Bat robes alright the sort the Batlords wear but Belzzar couldn’t sense any magic in him. Perhaps the imposter had knocked off the robe’s previous owner. That was one less Batlord he had to worry about.

Looking around he noticed a tall well dressed man drifting around aimlessly. Belzzar shuddered as he felt the pressence of a wizard of far greater power. That one had about the level of power the same as Pythos. Belzzar decided it would be in his best interest not to get involved with that one.

Not far away from the odd one was another third Fright Knight he knew to be Vaekadaer. There wasn’t much love lost between Fright Knights...

The only other pressences he could feel was Lord Void. Even then it was still odd. Very odd. It like he used magic but not any type Belzzar could put his finger on. Trailing behind the Dragon Master was a witch that looked horribly familiar.

“Radu wasn’t that the horrible witch that rebuilt the east tower?” Whispered Belzzar in a horrified tone.

“O hallo dahling!”

“You know what Radu, why don’t you occupy her why I have a chat with Lord Void….
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:He quickened his pace, and pushed his way through the crowd, his hat bobbing several nobles in the head and face. At last he had a good view of the combatants. And he recognized one immediately. It was the Black Falcon actor, Vanderdious.
Formendacil wrote:"Indeed!" said Vanderdious, picking up on the flippant tone right away. "Come, Milord, let us settle with these intruders, ere we finish this trading of arms. En guarde, Messieurs Chevalier!"

"What sort of a pox is on you, young truants?" Bernard asked the two uncertain Cadets. "Art thou too cowardly to cross swords with us?"

However, before either Jayko or Arthur could speak, the crowd parted as another high-ranking Cavalier passed through. Unlike Quorandis, however, Captain-Colonel E'terriole was on-duty, as the commander of the security and escorts at the banquet. His golden ceremonial armour glistened in the light of the chandeliers.

"Cadets!" he said, and they stood sharply at attention, "what on earth is going on here?"

"What is this?" said Bernard loudly to Vanderdious. As E'terriole's superior, he had nothing to fear. "Dost another of these troublesome soldiers come to interfere with our duel. Come, Sir Knight! We do not fear you, though you make us outnumbered!"

"Commander-General Quorandis!" said E'terriole, recognising one of the trouble-makers. "Are you a party to this mischief?"

"T'is not for you to question your superior officers, Captain-Colonel," chided Bernard.

"Are we not all a party to this mischief, yer gov'nership?" asked Vanderdious. "For what is this grand ball if not the grandest of parties, and are we not all its guests? Therefore, we are all at the party of the crime, are we not?"

"You know what I mean, Mr...." E'terriole groped around for a name.

"Shiringtonburgville, yer Gov'nership," replied Vanderdious with a bow and a sweep of his hat that nearly knocked one of the onlookers to the ground. "Chief Dramatist of Her Majesty, Queen Helen of the Black Falcons."

"Dramatic you certainly are," said E'terriole drolly. Quorandis cracked a grin.

"Aha! I saw that, yer Gov'nership!" cried Vanderdious triumphantly. "You're weakening!"

"I fear I must concede defeat," said Bernard as gravely as he could, "for I fear I lack the strength to persist in holding off my unseemly laughter any longer. Oh dearest of ladies," he turned to Elwen, whose own laughter was not being contained at all. "I fear I have not defended your honour as I ought. Please accept my most abject apologies."

"No, indeed, yer ladyship!" interjected Vanderdious. "It is I who must apologise. Were I the true gentleman I ought to be, I would have conceded this match far earlier, so that a lady such as yourself would not have to go through life with a defeated and soiled champion."

"Defeated and soiled!" said Bernard, turning to Vanderdious. Both were on their knees. "Please desist. This is MY apology, not yours!"

"Oh, my apologies," quipped Vanderdious.

"Um... he just said they were his," injected Jayko. Both Bernard and Vanderdious broke out in laughter.

"You have bested us both, young Jayko," said Bernard, as he got to his feet, and extended a hand to Vanderdious.

"A most excellent duel, Mr. Shiringtonburgville," said Bernard, rattling off Vanderdious' last name with ease. "I am honoured to be felled by your rapier wit."

"I should have fallen long before, were I not trained in the dramatic arts," admitted Vanderdious. "Tell me, have you ever been in the theatre?"