New
59%
Used
41%

Total votes: 17

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Sir Kohran wrote: My apologies for not making myself clearer. What I was really asking was:

"Do you buy the majority of your Out-of-Production sets MISB or Used?"
Ah, exactly as I suspected (you might want to edit your first message and put the above right at the top).

Though I do buy some OOP (Out-of-Production) MISB, the majority is used, in the full sense of the word. The longer you have been collecting, the more likely you got the sets you wanted when they were new. The ones you may have missed are still likely to be available in number and easy to get for a reasonable price MISB. The older they get, the more the price climbs for a MISB in relation to a used set. I'm usually patient, and wait for a complete used set in excellent condition, which is substantially less than a MISB. I'll take a MISB when I can get it for a reasonable price, but I won't pay a huge premium for it. Thus, I usually buy used (opened).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well... I hardly buy out of production at all... but such as I do, it is pretty much all Used. The different between new and used on most basic ABS pieces is minimal- and the old ones fit in quite well with my older sets anyway. The way I see it, that new stuff is going to become old in a matter of time anyway, so I had may as well save myself the money and buy it used.

That is, of course, when I buy Out of Production sets in the first place...
Heeck
Serf

Post by Heeck »

I only buy MISB or MIOB sets. However, I try to get harder to find sets MIOB with sealed contents, such is the case with my 6273 and 6276. If it is a smaller old set, or a newer set MISB, I will open it. I think it is reasonable to open some older sets if you are willing to keep that set for yourself, and not for profit. Of course, I would not be so stupid to open a 375 Yellow Castle, that would indeed be a crime! I am deciding whether or not to start buying used sets. I really don't want to...but if price is something to take into consideration, of course...then I might. To make it simple, I don't really trust used sets. I've seen what some people do to legos...not something I'd like to risk. However, if the condition is pristine with box and instructions, then that would be tempting. It would be more sensible to pay $50-$90 for a pristine, used 6080 rather than shelling out $300 for it. One thing that I have noticed is the rarity and demand of MISB 6040 and 6041. They scarcely appear on ebay, and when they do, a set that retailed for like $8.00 sells for a ridiculous $200-$300. It's insanity...an extra $192 for a black sword or pitchfork? Yeah, like that's worth it.