Weekly Set Review: Border Ambush

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Border Ambush

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8778 Border Ambush.

Border Ambush was released in 2004 for Knight's Kingdom II. Santis can hurl a large stone and cross a rope bridge to defeat the Shadow Knight. The set also has a trap door, spikes, scorpions, a silver key, three game cards, and various other accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Never bought because if the high price and Santis. Could be useful now though with the lowered prices and all, but still the throwing mechanism and another Santis is pretty useless I think... The set is very ugly too, I mean, look at the platform Santis is standing on!

Well, atleast there is alot of black spears and a rare new-brown whip!
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I knew that it wouldn't be long before a KK2 set came up for the Weekly Review Section. :D

A decent set, as you get a Shadow Knight and Santis in one set, and a key, and a few other neat little things. Seeing as it's rather small, there's not really much to comment on. I like it.

8/10
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This wouldn't be to bad a set if it came with old colours. (Sorry if any colour bashing offends you but for me it IS a criterion.) The rope bridge is a nice addition but the spears are too long and too brutal, and I don't care for any new scorpions that enhance the piece count without adding anything useful to the set. The ruin at the end is OK though it comes with another trap door *sigh*.
The set comes with a good fig , the shadow knight, and with a bad fig, the bonbon knight Santis. I wouldn't even mind the red armour too much but I really don't like Santis' visor and of course not his sword.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

I don't have this set and won't care to get it. It looks quite OK on its own but I consider it too spacy and it lacks that classic medieval style.

The shadow knight is quite OK but I got a few of these loose without the necessity to get a set with 1 or 2 in it. The Santis minifig is actually only useful for parts. The red and grey torso and legs are quite useful if you add the HP style light grey breastplate armor and visor. Of course, the fig needs a new head as well since it looks like a copy of Popeye's rival Bluto. :?
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Got in on sale on vacation in Germany last week, always good to have an extra shadow knight (I now posses the terrifying force of TWO :D ) Santis' face is kind of good for any great warrior, and the armour could also be used.

Partwise...Well...let's be honest, the old colours would heve been nicer, but it still works, the bridge is really nice and there's a lot of spears and scorpions, and I'm sure there's SOME use for the catapult-firing-thing, just have'nt found it yet...

jOeL!
I'm back, and so is Castle!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

It was on sale for $10 at the Downtown Disney LEGO store (lots of stuff on sale there right now, btw). I didn't buy any. I suppose that is my ultimate summation.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Zacku
Laborer

Post by Zacku »

I got this set on clearance about a month ago. It's a pretty fun set and actually quite useful (Dark Forest border, perhaps?). I really like the Shadow Knight, and I was able to make Santis into one of my characters. Unfortunately, those new colors are stud-ugly, so I rate it a 7.5/10.
Your ad here.
Dusty
Apprentice

Post by Dusty »

This set is okay. I like some of the pieces but would have perfered older colors. Oh well. Now that it is cheaper I can buy more. I think I have five already.

Dusty
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

not very inspired looking, bu I llllllove the pungee pit!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
Cat
Villein

Post by Cat »

This one is a little to much like a "comic book" type of set. There is really no medieval feeling inspired by it. I don't have any and probably won't get any.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

It's probably the only decent KKII set they ever made so far. It's the only set that don't have Bulk'y bricks and can even be usefull to make something alternate from. Nice "new" gray bricks. Almost decent to have, probably fit pirates a bit more though.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmm...I don't like it. I'm not really sure why. I found this set for $10, and I still couldn't bring myself to buy it. I'd give this set a 4/10.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

At $20, I'd leave it on the shelf. But if I found it for $10 or less, I'd get it, just for the brick fodder, the figs (which I both like, minus Santis' helm), the vine pieces and the brown whip.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys!

I have two of these, got one for 20 Canadian.

Its not to bad, kind of a boring set to have. The green platforms are always welcome, however. The shadow knight and bridge make the set a little better, along with 5 black spears. Though that's pretty much the whole set.

Over all, nothing to drool over.