Knight's Challenge
19%
Forestmen's Crossing
11%

Total votes: 124

Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I voted Camouflaged Outpost, Fosestmen's Crossing would be second if I had another vote.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I'll take a pack of all of those. The less attractive set is 6071 which I'd prefer 6054 and a minifig pack like 6102 or 6103. But I really want all of those as legends.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I love all these sets and even if they were Bley, I would buy any of them in Multiple copies. 5 - 15 copies depending on which set was chosen, the number of copies purchased would be dependant on price. Not that any set is lacking.
I have made my list from Favorite to less favorite. I voted for the Knights Challenge. The Armor shop is at the bottom of the list because the black sword would be from the new sword mold and not the older shiny version.

1. Knights Challenge
2. King's Castle
3. Forestman's Crossing
4. Camouflaged Outpost
5. Battering Ram
6. Armor Shop

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

From worst to first, but let me note that I like every one of these sets and would undoubtedly buy several of each if they became available:

6th Armor Shop: it's a nice set, but it doesn't really stand on its own without a modular castle to plug it into. It is something that should be released simultaneously with a 6080 or 6074, but not on its own. Yes, there should have been more sets like it, but honestly, it's over-hyped.

5th Battering Ram: I think this set stand better on its own. You could buy a bunch of these and make a decent castle out of it if you wanted to, but still has good play value to a child as a single set.

4th King's Castle: I might have ranked this first, but take two 6074 (the recent Legend) and you pretty much have a 6080. It just covers too much of the same ground. Ask me a few years, and I'll change my mind, but I'd rather see something else at this point in time.

Boy, the next three are very hard, as they are probably the three that I would like to see the most re-released, and I'd be especially pleased to see any of them - there is no wrong choice with these.

3rd Camouflaged Outpost: I'd really, really like to see a Robin Hood/Forestmen set back out there. I have no problem with anyone ranking this first.

2nd Knight's Challenge: It's amazing how they could get this so right, and get progressively worse each time they tried to redo a joust. Lots of figs, two barded horses, very colorful, and would compliment just about any castle you would care to make.

1st Forestman's Crossing: I just love this set. It actually contains a female fig (The Forest Babe/Wench). Yes, I know that the piddling little creek hardly needs an elevated robe bridge, but this just reminds me so much of Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland and thus speaks to me of youth, adventure, and imagination.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hey guys!

Kings Castle all the way! I have no old school LEGO sets from before 1990. I would love to own this set.

But you know, any of those sets would be nice to see become Legends. :wink:
Heeck
Serf

Post by Heeck »

Forestman's Crossing for me. My brother had it when we were younger. Useful pieces, Maid Marian, and a great baseplate with much playability. Hopefully those little white dots will disappear from the baseplate this time around.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I voted for King's Castle, although reluctantly. The King's Castle is still pretty widespread, and anyone can get it if they are willing to lay the dollars down. I actually have two!

Still, the forestman's crossing is a different stroy. It has a different, cool, unique feel to it that is perfect for the forestmen. It's also very hard to find, unless your willing to pay. :-(

That said, the King's Castle is a great set. I was just putting it together last week when I decided that it is the point of time when LEGO Castle reached it's pinnacle and perfected castle building. The Yellow Castle is a great set, full of figs and good design. But the King's Castle is a cool yet solid design, with lots of cool figs, good horses, and almost the same functionality as the Yellow Castle. The Yellow Castle was first and demands respect, but the Kings Castle is the Yellow Castle improved (there, I said it. :-))
Last edited by ottoatm on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

i picked camaflouge outpost, it was a hard choice because i love forestmen! :D
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I do not have any of the sets listed, as they are too old, I began my collection during the time of black monarch and Majisto. However, I am more familiar with the forest people than any other of the factions there, and I will therefore vote for the camouflage outpost, as it seems to have the most interesting construction.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

It was a tough choice, but I voted for Camouflaged Outpost, mainly because the Crusaders and Black Falcons already have Legends, and it has the most amount of Forestmen. The runner-up would be the Battering Ram, simply for having such good figs from two different factions. I'm surprised more people haven't voted for it, actually.

- Matt
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

I do own 4 out of the 6 original sets (have 2 copies of 6060, 1x 6071, 2x 6041 and 1x 6066) so I can judge these 4 from personal experience.

First of all, I think all are great sets. I do not own a 6080 king's castle and would like to own one. It does not add much to the 6074 legend though but for grey castle walls, it would be a great source with lots of modularity.

The 6060 is in my opinion a strong choice. Nice set, nice medium size, different factions, a keg, very colorful and lots of good pieces to make a nice tournament scenery.

The 6071 is a nice set but mainly because of its forestwoman. It does not add that much more in my opinion. Piecewise a bit run of the mill as well.

The 6066 is a very good set with nice figs, a brown horse, and lots of building blocks. It matches the 6060 except it does not contain rare pieces and it is black and grey with green forest leaves only.

The 6041 is a nice set as well but a bit too occassional to become a true legend. The red flag and the black sword are one of a kind but I do not like to see the world being flooded with new copies of those matching the real thing.

I think the battering ram is a bit too modest to become a legend.

Out of the 6 sets, my vote would go to 6060 or 6066 ex aequo. Third choice would be 6080 for its parts.

My real interest would go out to a remodelled 375 yellow castle, for instance in tan, reddish or yellowish orange bricks or something. TLG could also modernize it a bit more with new factions (preferably with a printed torso or the newer euro armor), light grey archer bullet helmets and slightly altered weapons and / or details regarding the heraldry (see the default avatars available at CC). The 375 is THE classic castle and everyone's castle collection should have one.

Another good choice would be a 383 jousting knights set with altered colors, just to make sure that they do not exactly match the antiquity of the original ones.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I went with 6066 camoflauged outpost for 1st choice, simply because Forestmen are cool and I think the set would do well based on that.

Second would be 6080... It's a castle with a good selection of figs. Would be a great stand alone model or MOC fodder...

3rd 6041 Armour shop.... Adds to the flavour of your village, competition for the blacksmiths holed up in the castle... Black sword, but it would be the soft kind.

4th 6060 Tournament... Way better than the KK2 version. Realism, pagentry, a page right out of history. The bardings and female fig add to the desire to see this become a Legend.

5th 6071 River crossing... The female fig (and believe you me I WANT this fig) and more Forestmen. The model itself, good for parts.

So that leaves the battering ram... Not great as a stand alone Legend, but would be neat as part of a Legend line, you know, modularity, realistic designs, believable factions...... Basically start releasing all the old sets over again (yeah right) OR better yet, glean the good points of this old sets and make classic vogue by having a "next generation" System Castle line. :D

Really tough to choose one single favourite, but there is my opinion.
Troy T. Moore
Flail
Villein

Post by Flail »

I would like to vote for 375, the "Yellow castle" :P Oops! It's not on the list!

Oh well, of the sets on the list, I voted for Knights Challange. Because it's the best? No. Because it's a set I don't own. What can I say - I'm selfish!. :P I have all the others except for the Armor shop.

And I really want that blue barding!
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I voted Kings Castle. I really want a good (large) source of bley that has enough other pieces (figs in particular) to make it worth the cost.

D~Man
Suvied
Laborer

Post by Suvied »

If I have to pick I say 6066. This is my most wanted set. I would get many of these. Though 6060 has a special place in my heart as well and would be my instant second choice.
There is someone who is always worse off than you . . . consider my peasants for example.