Publishing the CCRP

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Maedhros wrote:Thanks.... just need to read through the archives......that´ll take a while i think :?
I know. With all the new epics added to the archives by LOTL, It is a pretty big read. I think we(C-C) should try to get it published.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

venvorskar wrote:
Maedhros wrote:Thanks.... just need to read through the archives......that´ll take a while i think :?
I know. With all the new epics added to the archives by LOTL, It is a pretty big read. I think we(C-C) should try to get it published.
NO. TLG will want their huge share of the money, I'll want my fair share of the money. Nathan will want his large share of the money, Mike will also want his large share of the money. Some guy who had one active character from the misfits era will want his tiny share of the money and I will want my fair share of the money. :mrgreen:

And so on......
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

TheOrk wrote: NO. TLG will want their huge share of the money, I'll want my fair share of the money. Nathan will want his large share of the money, Mike will also want his large share of the money. Some guy who had one active character from the misfits era will want his tiny share of the money and I will want my fair share of the money. :mrgreen:

And so on......
I can understand the RPers wanting a share, but why TLC? We made the names, and the figures. When we bought the parts that we used we own them. Only the storylines(like KK2) are copyright Lego. I think. :?
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

venvorskar wrote:
TheOrk wrote: NO. TLG will want their huge share of the money, I'll want my fair share of the money. Nathan will want his large share of the money, Mike will also want his large share of the money. Some guy who had one active character from the misfits era will want his tiny share of the money and I will want my fair share of the money. :mrgreen:

And so on......
I can understand the RPers wanting a share, but why TLC? We made the names, and the figures. When we bought the parts that we used we own them. Only the storylines(like KK2) are copyright Lego. I think. :?
Are we forgetting the factions? :wink:
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

venvorskar wrote:

And so on......
A sticky issue, this is. Who gets what? And how much? Probably the best solution is not to publish at all. There are too many members, too many persons, that will demand their fair share. Plus there are legal problems with TLC. We are using their faction names. We are using their set names. The CCRP is filled to the brim with inside, LEGO-related jokes.

Unless everyone is willing to give up their "rights" to the CCRP and donate all the money from selling books to CC, and TLC give the go-ahead, publishing the chronicles of Dametreos is not an option.

EDIT: split and moved into Gaming
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Well...I say everything Nathan said. :P

Besides all my chars(and I believe others as well) are in their own little publish worthy stories. I'd make a site for Valric similar to Ikros but I simply don't have the bricks to make it any good.
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Well, I guess you're both right. It would take a lot of editing to rename the factions and other Lego related things. But I am giong to try publish a book that is Lego illustrated, about where Venvorskar is from before he comes to Dametreos, ana it would be nice to have a sequel to it. Maybe I could just write the basic story line of what happened to my characters alone, but I would need theork's perrmission to write about his characters, and probably SirKhoran's, as he has hinted about Venvorskar being involved with Solesstron(sp?) in the future of the RP.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Well Sir Valric and Pythos are in my story I hope to have published one day in the distant future. Their personalities are the same as their CCRP selves but they have very different backgrounds ect... CCRP Valric did wander the world for five years(one of which was spent in the real world) and nobody knows what Pythos has been doing for the last 200 years, so if you keep all that in mind and you give me due credit, feel free to let my chars to make an appearance. :wink:
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

TheOrk wrote:so if you keep all that in mind and you give me due credit, feel free to let my chars to make an appearance. :wink:
Same here. :D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

(Cough, cough) Not to start anything :roll: heaven forbid! But it would be quite easy to publish the RP from a legal point of view. As far as the writers of the story go, nobody has put a copyright on anything they have typed. Plus, once the story was made into book form, it would be so changed that nobody could claim it to be their own work. Rather, just an idea they heard and made into a story.

As far TLC in concerned, it wouldn't be too hard to get around anything that might arise. Just change the faction names (not a bad idea in some cases, seeing as half the factions don't even have real names) and the name of any character that TLC thought of, and vola! Instant book!!!

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Might I add a few comments of my own...

Publishing is an interesting idea yes, but legal issues aside, the ongoing epic is just to - fragmented. Not only plotwise, but think of each person's own interpretation of the RP. Plus, there are a dozen different wrting styles used and steamlining them would be quite a task.

On another tangent, I have thought of such an idea, only basing the plot on RP - info being added or subtracted as needed. Of course names would also be changed and references to lego would be removed - besides the fact that it would involve legal issues with TLC, it would simply be confusing to the average reader.

All in all though, CCRP is best to stay as a web based epic, though many, many inspirations can easily be drawn from it.

Just my 2 cents

Nick
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:Publishing is an interesting idea yes, but legal issues aside, the ongoing epic is just to - fragmented. Not only plotwise, but think of each person's own interpretation of the RP. Plus, there are a dozen different wrting styles used and steamlining them would be quite a task.

On another tangent, I have thought of such an idea, only basing the plot on RP - info being added or subtracted as needed. Of course names would also be changed and references to lego would be removed - besides the fact that it would involve legal issues with TLC, it would simply be confusing to the average reader.

All in all though, CCRP is best to stay as a web based epic, though many, many inspirations can easily be drawn from it.
I agree with this. Though legally it could be possible, there are way too many issues to deal with. Plus, some epics are more "publish-worthy" than others, IMO. The Misfits could work. Quest for the Wizardsbane could work, with editing. The BloodVaine Epic, on the otherhand, couldn't. There are too many characters, too many fragmented plots that have nothing to do with one another except they are all affected by BloodVaine. And, of course, the post-BVE plots such as Peregrine Politics and the Lost Stars Chronicle are too dependant on the backhistory of the BVE to be stand-alone stories: And finally, there is the length factor: many of these epics are just too short to be made into a true novel. The BVE, perhaps, but it won't work for reasons stated above.

However, that is not to say the continueing adventures in the world of Dametreos is not good a good story. It would just be hard to convert to a form that can be published and read by "the masses". Still, I think the CCRP is an excellent source for ideas, from characters to locations to plots to whole stories. I, too, have several story ideas "borrowed" from the CCRP, the main one being my current Ajaxx/Lord Void plot.

Basically, the plot would remain the same. It would start with Lord Void, attacking a neighbouring kingdom attempting to aquire some item of value (*COUGH* Pendants *COUGH*) so he can rule the world. He is foiled when another sorceror attacks. Thus follows a war that is the BVE in a compressed, filtered, simplified and shortened form. End the end, Void looses his power. Then he rediscovers it. Ajaxx pops up. And so on.

But things would have to be changed. Dragons Masters would have to be renamed, as would the Fire Breathing Fortress. Supporting characters, like Caimlin, Jarvick and Drock, would have to be completely altered, renamed, or even removed. LEGO jokes such as Majisto would also have to be scrubbed out, or edited. Other spoofs like Elsa Byrd would simply have to go. And, biggest of all, everything would have to be fleshed out and deepened.

Who knows. Perhaps some day, we'll all be readin the adventures of Valric, or Randolph, or Lord Void, in hardcover! :D
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

In the short-term, yes, I'd like to see a CCRP novel sitting on the shelves, with the legends of Dametreos forever immortalized within its text, and perhaps even illustrated with the pictures from the "CCRP illustrations and creations" thread. Inside there would be a list of the authors, each of us given due credit for our work.

In the long-term, no, I wouldn't like to see a CCRP novel. And not just because of copyright, but because of how it will change the characters. They'll stop being "our" characters, and become the reader's characters. For example, how would Mike feel if a reader wrote a piece of fanfiction about Magarus's past, and that work was mistakenly regarded as official by the unknowing younger people? Before long, Dametreos wouldn't be "our" world; it's be the world of the public's imagination, and they'd change it, maybe for better, maybe for worse, but they'd change it still.

And on top of that, to make the novel "cooler", we'd have to change our stories, to flesh them out. True, that might be a good thing, but it changes the original story that "we wrote", and becomes the story "we helped the publishers make".

Basically, we'd loose our orginal story. It'd be changed by other minds. And I, for one, wouldn't like that.
Venvorskar wrote:and probably SirKhoran's, as he has hinted about Venvorskar being involved with Solesstron(sp?) in the future of the RP.
Well, at least until this plot is finished, I'd like Solesstorn to remain my character. Then, perhaps, I'll let him be more of a "worldly" character for others to use.

- Matt
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

The CCRP is published.

Any member of the general public can read it, free of charge, at Classic-Castle.com.

Hey! Isn't a published work one that is presented to the public at large?

:wink: :roll: :D