Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I thought that maybe people with personalised Avatars could tell the story of their avatars in this thread.

P.S. I am not sure if this is the right topic for the thread. What will the admins say?
Last edited by Nick on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The story behind my avatars is quite easy. Before personalised avatars became common my sigfig used to be this (pic not a link :-) ):

Since then I try to adapt this basic Black Falcon to my respective rank (Archer, Steward, Man-at-arms, etc.). Right now my Falcon is a merchant, and it's the first time he's not wearing his coat of arms.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Since then I try to adapt this basic Black Falcon to my respective rank (Archer, Steward, Man-at-arms, etc.). Right now my Falcon is a merchant, and it's the first time he's not wearing his coat of arms.
I've noticed this throughout the years - and it's always been pretty cool to see the changes (too bad they don't happen as often now that your higher in the ranks ;-)).

I tried to do what Jojo did, but I proved much too lazy for it... then I made a custom strongbad avatar that I loved but thought I should change to make LEGO - since this is a LEGO site.

So now I have the current avatar, which is actually just a pic from an upcoming story I am writing. The character is "General Karg", and he is currently enjoying (for lack of a better word) his victory over a bunch of poor peasants. 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Avatars

Post by footsteps »

My avatar is Jakob, the blacksmith. He's meant to be the (sort of) central character to the castle world that I'm trying to create.

Neither prince nor pauper, he is a craftsman who's skills are needed by rich and poor alike. He serves all, speaks little, listens a lot, and learns many things!

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

My Avatar is supposed to be Maedhros, son of Fëanor from Silmarillion. Not much more to say but I actually thought Jojo´s idea was very cool. Might do that....
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

My Avatar changes upon my mood, custom fig that I want to feature, or perhaps to reflect whatever new title the whimsical admins have inflictd me with (ooooo, I actually have my simple rank for once).

My real avatar is below in my signature line. Redwine is Redewyne in its Saxon form, which translates to "counselor friend", so the name has a certain duality to it that I like. Redwine is the straight man for the constantly evolving conversation between him and the Two-Tonic Tippler, which is my real Avatar. Two-Tonic is a corruption of the germanic crusader order, the Teutonic Knights, and has its roots in a role-playing game that predates D&D. My last name is tediously germanic (my family lived in Westfalen for centuries, Jojo's stompin' grounds).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

My avatar is of Jayko climbing up onto a rock that juts out into the ocean, to get a magical sword. There is a water-whirlwind aproaching, and the sky is stormy.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

This is a fascinating topic, and one I hope more people will post to, but it belongs in Publishing, as Architect's comments in another thread moved here make clear:
architect wrote:It belongs in the Publishing forum where we talk about webpages, avatars, etc.
~Michael A. Joosten - Moderator~
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

My avatar is known as Graynar. If you want to know who he is, take a look at my characters page on my website.

Graynar

Edit: I just changed my avatar, that's the evil wizard Azaron also from my story.
Last edited by Graynar on Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

My Avatar is my sigfig, who just happens to be Lord of the Castle :P Oh, and I'm sorry for the stinky pic, but I haven't quite mastered the art of making quality pics
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

My Avatar? First off I started with the CC Triangular shield with a winged serpent on it. Then once I mastered MS Paint I began making TheOrk avatars.
All three are of Th'eork the orc. He's your average orc. Just a cooler. :mrgreen:
The first avatar he was in he had a red sword and a grey viking helmet. The story was on his travels from one fight to the next until he found a better suit of armour(Avartar 2#)

The after awhile I got even better at MS Paint and created Th'eork in his curent form.

Now I'm just thinking up ideas for the next avatar :twisted:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Maedhros wrote:My Avatar is supposed to be Maedhros, son of Fëanor from Silmarillion. Not much more to say but I actually thought Jojo´s idea was very cool. Might do that....
Okay, I'm going to be really bad here, but I've held my Tolkienologist in for too long now...

Although your avatar looks really good (and I'm not just saying that), it's slightly inaccurate. Although it doesn't actually say it in the Silmarillion, Tolkien intended Maedhros to have red hair. In one of his late texts, in which he explained the meaning of the names of the Noldorin princes, he explains Maedhros (the Sindarin name used through the Silmarillion) as being a mixture of two of his Quenya names from back in Valinor: Maitimo (his mother-name) and Russandol- which was a "nickname" given by his brothers, which means "Coppertop", since he had red hair.

Anyway, it's not important, and your avatar does look great, but I couldn't restrain myself after such a long fast.

As to my own avatar, which I've had since I figured out how to make it, WAY back when I was less than a one-month newbie, it is the coat of arms of the King in my made-up, non-LEGO world, and is a representation of how it would appear in a LEGO form.

It actually appears in the arms above the Castle gate, when Henry visited my LEGO, back in the spring. Here is the best example.
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Mine's just a figure that I made once. I had all my minifigure bits in a pile, had stolen the real arms for another fig, saw the newly armed torso near the legs, thought, "hey, that looks cool", and just kept going.

In retrospect, I decided that the figure is a hermit, probably tossed from some military order or other for an unspecified infraction, only to become the last veteran of said order. Now that's what you call ironic... :wink:
Sir-Boris
Laborer

Post by Sir-Boris »

My avatar is one of my centaurs that I made...

Nate
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.
- Albert Einstein
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Formendacil wrote:
Maedhros wrote:My Avatar is supposed to be Maedhros, son of Fëanor from Silmarillion. Not much more to say but I actually thought Jojo´s idea was very cool. Might do that....
Okay, I'm going to be really bad here, but I've held my Tolkienologist in for too long now...

Although your avatar looks really good (and I'm not just saying that), it's slightly inaccurate. Although it doesn't actually say it in the Silmarillion, Tolkien intended Maedhros to have red hair. In one of his late texts, in which he explained the meaning of the names of the Noldorin princes, he explains Maedhros (the Sindarin name used through the Silmarillion) as being a mixture of two of his Quenya names from back in Valinor: Maitimo (his mother-name) and Russandol- which was a "nickname" given by his brothers, which means "Coppertop", since he had red hair.

Anyway, it's not important, and your avatar does look great, but I couldn't restrain myself after such a long fast.

As to my own avatar, which I've had since I figured out how to make it, WAY back when I was less than a one-month newbie, it is the coat of arms of the King in my made-up, non-LEGO world, and is a representation of how it would appear in a LEGO form.

It actually appears in the arms above the Castle gate, when Henry visited my LEGO, back in the spring. Here is the best example.
I know, but I´ve always thought of him as black-haired so it has stuck. Didn´t know the part about his name though. Thanks :D
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis