My growing concerns (And tips for new people.)

General USER announcements, such as introductions and away messages.
Loneranger
Landlord

My growing concerns (And tips for new people.)

Post by Loneranger »

Well, as a long time member of CC.C I have come to really like this forum, and I have my concerns.

Like: New people, yes I like the fact that CC.C is growing, but I also have my fears about it. Troy is doing his best to keep trolls and spammers out of this community, and is probably deleting pointless user names everyday.

And the other admins have enough on there plate as it is. But they have given us a safe environment to discuss the thing we love, LEGO. And I thank the CC.C Admins for NOT making a General Discussion forum. Why? Because this isn't about your new shoes or your love for monkeys, it's about LEGO and everything that concerns LEGO.

So here are a few things that I'd suggest you check out before making that thread about “OMG!!!! CC R0X0RZ the BIG111!”

Like, the search button, you can type “OMG! CC R0X0RZ!” and if there is already a thread that is about that, then it will come up.

“But where is the search button?” it is at the top of the forum index page, along with other nifty buttons, like: FAQ, which is where you'll find out all your answers about “how do I put a image in my...” or “how do I use HTML?”

now what about posting/making threads you ask? Well, before you post you should ask yourself...

How will this post/thread contribute to CC.C?

Has it been posted before? (again, use the search button.)

Is there a possibility this could get deleted because it is off-topic?

Am I posting in the right forum? (look at each forum for a description, and in the forum should be a “ANNOUMENT: Proper posting for...” at the top of that forum page.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if the admins do not agree with this at all please delete this thread. Thank you

LR
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

I cannot agree more on this with Loneranger. All the things that are listed above are must-do s to make the forums more enjoyable. And I also think that some research must be done before posting stuff like: "what's blah". And I also think that post counts mustn't be that important. Posting stuff like "My 1000000th post!!" is childish and also another attempt to raise the post count.

I thank loneranger for opening this thread, as it will help many new users and the users that don't know how to use the forums.

Have a great day everyone,

-Yankı
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

“OMG!!!! CC R0X0RZ the BIG111!”
What on earth does that mean??? :?

I do agree on all things you have said, and I know I have commited several of the sins listed there :oops: .
However, it's hadly been two months since I joined, and I am still learning the rules.
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

sorry umm... yeah i agree and i don't think i did any of that did I?

and it is okay if you did a couple of those nick cause it is not like you are going to get banned for doing a couple wrong things
Last edited by babyjawa on Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My life is based on a true story.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I was wondering why she said that I was 12...
I'm 17, for your information, snicker.
And I said the rxors thing to myslef. Never in eternity would I guess it sounds like oars+rocks...
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

This isn't about whos 12 or any of that, please stay on topic.

Thank you

LR
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Its a good post, and I support your crusade (hey, I'm other forums and I see it on all of them, so I feel ya here), but you are doomed to lose this war. Why, you ask? Because this forum is about LEGOs, and just to remind the AFOLs, LEGOs are in fact a child's toy. They are marketed toward children, and children are the largest consumer group for LEGOs. So it should not come as a surprise that children are coming onto this forum and, yes, acting like children!

Children are not known for 1) Their attention span, 2) Their ability to follow directions, 3) Using proper grammer and spelling, and 4) following the rules.

Children are known for their creativity, enthusiasm, and all to often, their "childish" behavior. These are both good and bad things, and we have to remember that age is not always a good indication of the behavioral development of an individual. Just try to be patient with the younger crowd, and instead of flaming them, take a deep breath and kindly show them the error of their ways. But don't just say that they were wrong, tell them WHY they were wrong, and also either give them an example of the right way, or give them a link to the appropriate forum/info.

This is how a community is built.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Loneranger is right. (gasp! never expected to say that!)

All users should act mature and respectable. I would say "like adults" but there are many adults who are neither mature or respectable. Which highlights the fact that age means nothing, maturity is what matters.

That means check your spelling before you post and it means thinking before you post.

Avoid "AOL speak" or "LEET speak" (1337, L0LZ, etc). Avoid using emoticons too much (especially 4 or 5 in a row!)

When replying to a creation, think about what you plan to say. If its just "cool!", consider not posting. Try and think of something worthwhile to say, like "I like this part here, but part X could use a bit of Y".

When posting a creation, make sure all your links are correct and working. Make sure the pictures are of good quality, and no larger than 800x600. (Keep in mind that pictures directly in the post should be no larger than 400x300)

Read the Site TOS and Tony's post about the Forum Rules.

Post in the right forum.

Post on topic.

And finally, build LEGO and have fun!
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

I agree whole-heartedly, lone ranger, and I thank you for posting this. I know I have my slip-ups once in a while when I post, and I've learned from it--just like we all should.

But I also agree with Recluce. This battle, in some way or another, will not be won. However, we can still do all we can to keep this place as mature as possible, and hope the younger users will follow.

Thanks again for bringing this up, LR!

And Nick, “OMG!!!! CC R0X0RZ the BIG111!” is a form of leet-speech. Roughly translated, it means "Oh my gosh! CC really rocks!" :wink: :D

Have a nice day
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

And Nick, “OMG!!!! CC R0X0RZ the BIG111!” is a form of leet-speech. Roughly translated, it means "Oh my gosh! CC really rocks!"
Interesting, but utterly incomprehensible! I certainly wouldn't like if people here would write like this.
check your spelling before you post and it means thinking before you post.
Well, I paste my text to word, check for mistyped letters, and re-paste it back.

To be honest, I've never seen someone's reply to a topic being simply 'cool' etc. I always see justified opinions and reasonable suggestions.
When posting a creation, make sure all your links are correct and working. Make sure the pictures are of good quality, and no larger than 800x600. (Keep in mind that pictures directly in the post should be no larger than 400x300)
I don't use the [img] feature, I just place deeplinks for brickshelf. When I used the [img] several times, I ended up with a huge image.

I know that one has to be 13 years old or more to become a member, but how do we know how old the member really is? Unless you ask their D.O.B, but I can't remember if you do or not.
If possible, we should avoid letting children on here at all, then the battle for a lost cause that Recluce mentioned would never take place. If order is to be kept, this must be an AFOL site only.
Also, as I always say, one of the admins should regularly check new members' names and delete any advertisers or other unwelcome members.
Despite LR's expressed concern, I have to say that I have not noticed much cause for it, as all posts I've seen are very civil and reasonable.
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Good post Lone Ranger.

As it is easily seen I am responsible for many mistakes as well. For example, I spelt responsible wrong, but is that bad enough to get a post deleted?

In the future I will not celebrate my 400th 500th posts, because that is considered bad.

And I hope many other new members read what you guys have typed here and learn from it.

Let's keep the CC a happy place! :D

PS: is there a limit to emotican usesage?

Graynar
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

The emoticons aren't disturbing unless there are 6-7 in a row.

p.s: I'm a He, not a she.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Recluce wrote:Its a good post, and I support your crusade (hey, I'm other forums and I see it on all of them, so I feel ya here), but you are doomed to lose this war. Why, you ask? Because this forum is about LEGOs, and just to remind the AFOLs, LEGOs are in fact a child's toy. They are marketed toward children, and children are the largest consumer group for LEGOs. So it should not come as a surprise that children are coming onto this forum and, yes, acting like children!
I have heard many times, Classic-castle was not made for children, it was made for Adult Fans Of LEGO (with a few exceptions ;))
As it is easily seen I am responsible for many mistakes as well. For example, I spelt responsible wrong, but is that bad enough to get a post deleted?

I'm pretty sure they didn't delete your post because of bad spelling, but because it did not contribute to the community, is saying "OMG! 100th post!!1!1!1!!" in someway contributing? I think not. (and you did spell “Responsible” right.)

I am not perfect, I have made a few pointless threads, and posts that did not contribute to this forum. But we learn from our mistakes, and that is all we can do.

I'm glad a lot of you are backing me up on this topic. :)

LR
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

As another long-time member, it has been interesting to see how this site has grown, and I agree with Justin 100%

However...
Recluce wrote:Its a good post, and I support your crusade (hey, I'm other forums and I see it on all of them, so I feel ya here), but you are doomed to lose this war. Why, you ask? Because this forum is about LEGOs, and just to remind the AFOLs, LEGOs are in fact a child's toy. They are marketed toward children, and children are the largest consumer group for LEGOs. So it should not come as a surprise that children are coming onto this forum and, yes, acting like children!

Children are not known for 1) Their attention span, 2) Their ability to follow directions, 3) Using proper grammer and spelling, and 4) following the rules.
You are correct - to a point. While there are younger ones who frequent and post on this site (many make excellent contributions!) I have noticed that the ones with the shorter attention spans and less valuble contributions gradually fade away and eventually stop posting. Why? Because of their attention spans. They grow tired of Lego and move on. You get my point.

This is a good site though, and due to the efforts of both our Admins. and members it has been kept that way. What I think sets this place apart form many other forums is that most of the members here do in fact make sure they are on topic, not being redundant, etc. Nevertheless, let this serve as a reminder for members who are not as careful. Let's keep this site clean!

Just my two cents

Nick
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

sorry if this is off-topic but not all teens get tired of lego ya know it is because most of them have school and/or forget about this site

and yes there are some that do get tired of lego but NOT all

and I spell very good as you can see i just don't use punctuation. (sorry if I spelled that wrong)

And I don't have a short attention span I just have a bad memory (which runs in my family)
My life is based on a true story.