Weekly Set Review: Treasure Guard

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Treasure Guard

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6028/6029 Treasure Guard.

Treasure Guard, released in 1998, is a treasure cart for the Fright Knights. One Fright Knight, a treasure chest, and various accessories are included.

Last edited by architect on Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I don't own this set, but I like it. It's a simple stocking-stuffer, with a great fig (I really like the helm, face and torso and wish I had some), a chest, and two weapons. It also includes the semi-rare dark gray bat. The pull-cart is decent, and it has some good parts. I wish it came with some REAL treasure, though.

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 5/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now) 8/10
Nostalgia: 5/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Jojo
Master

Re: Weekly Set Review: Treasure Guard

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

architect wrote:Treasure Guard, released in 1998, is a treasure cart for the Fright Knights. One Fright Knight, a treasure chest, and various accessories are included.
And that's pretty much everything that can be said about this set. Ah, wait: It comes with a dark grey bat. This is quite rare as it only comes in this set and in 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

As Nathan said, not really more than a stocking stuffer- but as far as those go, this is an excellent one. The fig is generic and useful, with two weapons. The cart comes with ever-useful wheels, a smattering of useful pieces, the rarer grey bat, and a treasure chest of gold. All said, one of the best put together Fright Knight sets, in my opinion.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 5.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 7.5/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 8/10
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall Score: 7.25/10
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I'm not a fan of the Fright Knights at all. It always confused me that they had a dragon like the dragon masters and a bat? How many flying creatures does one faction need?

The (I think he's called) batlord wheres a bat winged looking helmet and rides a dragon... this guy wheres the Dragon Masters style helmet and has a bat?

Anyways, I'm sure everyone will say its an army builder... I don't really like this style breastplate torso. In retrospect, this set is good because it comes with an old style sword. Not one of those Heman KK2 swords.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Another set review for a "set" I just got (last week).

I like this, actually, though I don't know why. I see this guy (when paired with a few other Fright Knight Henchmen) as a tax collector or something in a small town... I dunno.

Besides army building, there is another plus to this set (for some)... there is a grey bat, not a black one... that's the only one in the Fright Knight series, I believe that's grey. :wink:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Ibzonder
Serf

Post by Ibzonder »

Quite a good set if you ask me...
It has a fully armed figure, sveral good pieces, including wheels, weapons and bat, and that cart isn't bad either.

8/10
--oOo--
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Army builder my friend, army builder. 8)

The only thing that would make it greater would be a shield.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

don't own it, but probably will soon. It looks terrific. Army builder, a great place to build up some gold, and it also has the gray bat.
Kanduu
Laborer

Post by Kanduu »

Not much to this set. The wheels and the helmet would be the best part for me. I have one of the "dorky" (to steal a word from Peppermint Patty) torsos, and could live without it. Other than that, a pretty good set.
"Go Pokes!" :)
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This set looks like a great stocking stuffer. I wouldn't mind getting this set for a present, personally I don't find anything appealing about it other than the fig, but I wouldn't fork over my own money for it.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

I always liked the sets where the focus is on the minifig, and this is no exception. I picked this one up back in '98 or '99. In addition to everything that everybody else has already said -- great torso, great accessories, I really like the minifig head (only available in '97/'98 sets).
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I'm going to have to sound off as the voice of discord here. I never liked this set. For the same cash, you could (years earlier) buy the Black Knight set. A horse, a -good- minifig with body armour and two-piece helm, two swords, etc etc. This set has some treasure, one of the lamer of the torso prints, a helm, and one sword.

The treasure was -everywhere- back then. You couldn't buy a set in the early-to-mid 90's without getting like twenty treasure chests.. so that's not really a big bargain.

The torso print is weak and not to my tastes.

One sword isn't really much of a bargain, especially in a set that is otherwise pretty craptastic.

The helm was pretty popular at the time and was, thus, in a bunch of different sets, nothing special there (as a matter of fact, you can -still- get that helmet, I believe, from LEGO Shop At Home's Castle Accessories pack).

Overall.. -I- thought the value of this set was not even worth the minimal price tag. Lame figure, useless accessories... it came down to paying 2 or 3 bucks for a helm and a sword.

I'd pass.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Damien wrote:I'm going to have to sound off as the voice of discord here. I never liked this set. For the same cash, you could (years earlier) buy the Black Knight set. A horse, a -good- minifig with body armour and two-piece helm, two swords, etc etc. This set has some treasure, one of the lamer of the torso prints, a helm, and one sword.
You know, it's really unfair to be comparing this set with the Black Knight- one of the most universally acclaimed sets of all time. Far better to compare it to a different set from 1992: Treasure Cart, which, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to be reviewed. It's all very well to decry the change of sets from 1992 to 1997 (or from 1992 to 2005 :P ), but in a case like this, it is more fair to compare equivalent sets. Now, if you compare with Treasure Cart, and find that you like the Lion version no more than the Fright Knight, well and good- but then you must, of necessity, compare the Lion one with the Black Knight if you are going to compare the Fright Knight one with the Black Knight.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

This is a nice set, of my times but I don't have it.
[quote="Formendacil Now, if you compare with Treasure Cart, and find that you like the Lion version no more than the Fright Knight, well and good- but then you must, of necessity, compare the Lion one with the Black Knight if you are going to compare the Fright Knight one with the Black Knight.[/quote]
It has been reviewed.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.