Weekly Set Review: Black Monarch's Ghost

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I wish I had this set. Great armour, and I love the ghost and doors. Happy first post to me by the way... :P
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I believe this is the first castle set I ever bought more than one copy of. I bought two. I really liked this set. It was cheap, had a cool knight with armor and visor, (and it has feathers instead of the dumb dragon things), I thought the ghost was cool at the time, and I really liked the wooden doors. Doors like that aren't usually available in the smaller sets.

If I could buy that now for what it originally sold for, I would buy a few more.

However, as an add-on wall section, it wasn't very interesting.

I always liked to think of it as a set of door somewhere within black monarch's castle that was always kept locked to contain an evil spirit. Maybe the knight is there to make sure nobody tries to open the doors?
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I got this set in a yard sale along with the original Black Falcon's Fortress, Battering Ram, Black Knight and Knight's Stronghold. :lol:

The figs (knight and ghost), are great, and when every one else was asleep I would take out Casper and marvel at the glow in the dark fig. There's not much to the building, but the pieces are awesome!

All in all, if LEGO came out with this again at the same price, I'd buy a lot more!

9/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

My bro's first set. Through the years, and partly because of that "lego bin" most of the vital parts got lost. I eventually traded one with a friend among other castle sets.

This set is the example of "the haunted shack over there!"!
Of course most of us would have bought more of this set-the great pieces you find in it are rather hard to get in stores nowadays. My enfatuation over this set was mostly all concentrated on the ghost. Of course now I couldn't care less about it....I'm actually thinking of selling my four ghosts. (Anyone interested?) Better yet, trading them would suit me better. My thrill with this set now lies in the breastplate-of course!

Back when the set came out, it was also a great source for someone like me with a low budget to get castle wall corners. There weren't that many small sets around that gave you such great parts! I'll never forget when I accidentally stepped on one of those castle walls..bent the top...usable (still have it) but a little tiltedish.

Dan
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I wanted to get this set, and maybe I still have a chance =P
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I didn't reveiw it, but now I will.

This set is not so bad. I don't own it, but maybe I will. What I find the more disapointing is the presence of the flag on the side where it is suppose to connect. It's really bad done. The flag could hav been put in the back side or it could have been a flag with small antenna.

As the 6059 set, it's a not so bad set. As I said before for the 6059, this set could have been think a bit more. It's the same for some other set of this year 1990. I think of 6018, 6042.
gcg
Villein

Post by gcg »

This is an awesome little set. Another knight is always a plus, and a ghost would be a nice addition to my undead hordes. However, i was only 3 in 1990, so not much lego from then.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

hey all!!!
This is a really good set! One of the best, despite the fact that it´s pretty small. A clear 10 out of 10!!
I'm back, and so is Castle!
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

I would give it 8/10

I like the knight very much. Cant say the same for the other parts.

Erwin
Last edited by LEGO_KNIGHT on Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Sorry to be so late on this thread. I this this set was a wonderful addition to the castle line.
the figs were good, An army builder!! the new ghost, and a fully armored knight. The doors, arch, and black wall corners made the structure, while a little small, very handy. I seam to be the only one so far who actualy liked the building as it was. I usualy built a small hill, ran the wall over it, and put this under the hill. ether that or just built up the wall a little. I liked the idea of an underground buiriel grounds, as in Two Towers... bury them under hills, I guess would be a better way to say it. And everyone knows that where you find dead, you will find ghosts!! All in all I would give this set a 8/10 when compaired to all sets, however I give it a 10/10 for doing what is was designed for!!

wow, I don't rant like this very often...

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Sir Terrance
Councilor

MAN I WANT IT!!!!!

Post by Sir Terrance »

I would buy about 100 of these sets if they came back!!! I would buy tons of whatever set just to get more of those knights!!!! I LOVE those armored knights! They are the best mini-figs EVER!!! I only have 2 of those knights, and they have flaws in them! :cry: I give this set 9/10 :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Once again, an army builder.

In this particular case, an army of heavy cavalry builder. I mean, think about it: a cheap set with old Euro armour, always nice to have. The building is, which not particularly memorable, at least composed of decent pieces. The only real downfall of the set is the figs...

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 8.5/10

Overall Score: 7.75/10
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

That's a tie with the white knight from Black Knight's Castle for my favorite fig of all time. He looks even better with a red cape, too.
Nick
Steward

Weekly Set review: Black Monarch's Ghost

Post by Nick »

It’s the first black monarch set I have got, and it's very good! Both the tower and the knight fit in perfectly into the theme. The only bit I don't understand is why the ghost is of the monarch himself, I thought he was alive and well! In fact, you get him with the main castle of the faction! Unless the name implies that the ghost belongs to the monarch, that he controls it in some way... Well never mind, you can forget the name and pretend that the tower stands somewhere on the windswept moors of the black monarch's realm.
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

I've noticed that a lot of people have said that same thing -including me- I wonder what it is about this set that people find attractive when they don't have a lot/any other Castle sets?

Besides the general terrificness of the set, of course... :lol: